IGNORED

Different Way Of Looking At Our Results This Year

The Bard

Just wasted a few minutes looking at the table. Looking at our results against sides in the various positions, it struck me that we have done pretty well against both the bottom 8 and the top 8. However, our results against the mid table teams have been staggeringly bad, so I worked it out:-

Top 8 - 13 played, 16 points = 1.23 per game = 57 points over a season.

Middle 8 - 11 played, 1 point = 0.09 per game = 4 points over a season.

Bottom 8 - 10 played, 17 points = 1.7 per game = 78 points over a season.

Our last 12 games feature 3 against the top sides, 5 against the middle and 4 against the bottom sides.

May I suggest a tentative solution.

The top 8 rely on skill and ability, and don't need to play hardball.

The bottom 8 are ill-motivated carp and can't be donkeyed to play hardball.

The middle 8 are motivated but not very good, and will kick the bejesus out of anything that moves. That's precisely the kind of team that scares us rigid.

Might be wrong, but our position at the top of the Fair Play League suggests that I'm not :(

This is something that I have noticed for the last couple of seasons - in some ways it is good, because we have a greater liklihood of winning the six pointers, but it is frustrating as hell! Like Leeds would be a typical team we never perform well against.

I think it may be part of a larger problem with our group of players. They seem to play decently as a unit when they want to, but then seemingly switch off completely with little effort or whatever for larger periods. This poor performance against mid placed teams could just as easily be applied to the timing of the season, with us not performing throughout the middle of the season and only picking up towards the end.

It seems even stranger when you consider McInnes was more of a combative type player rather than a 'flair' player; you would've thought his teams would be in the same mould as him?

Doesn't follow. George Graham was an exciting and creative player. His Arsenal team was rightly described as Boring.

Archived