IGNORED

An Old Interview With O'Driscoll..

I Wurzel I

Fascinating!

I know I've banged on about it, but I've just finished reading Cloughie's autobiography and the resemblance is striking.

Essentially it's about getting each player to do his job and letting the player know what that job is. If anyone doubts that he means it, look at the difference in Nyatanga and Fontaine since he took charge! For both, having players know what to do next is more important than elaborate tactical plans.

He's also dead right about negativity. If anyone doubts that, they should look at the negative comments here about our excellent result today.

The likeness to Clough isn't immediately apparent; it would be hard to imagine two more different personalities. Their approach to the game, though, is very similar.

As to his attitude to the media, in SOD's case it's thinly veiled contempt; Clough didn't bother with the veil.

He won't say whether we'll stay up, for the excellent reason that he doesn't know and neither will I (or even Horace).

What I WILL say is that we have a chance, which we didn't under McInnes.

Great Read.

The thing that gets me is.....

What the hell did McInnes do/say in his interview to get the job over Sean O'Driscoll in the first place.

Read any interview from McInnes and compare it to literally anything from SoD.....how was Sean not here two years ago, still I suppose at least he's her now.

Totally agree with every other poster, it makes for a fascinating and uplifting read. We now have a manager, sorry, head coach, who doesn't just talk a good game but gets the players to deliver a good game too. I was at the match today and was really impressed how organised we looked, every one had a good game so I don't want to single anyone out but bloody hell, Fonts & Tangs were excellent, I can't recall them making a mistake between them. When I compare todays performance with the last game I saw under McInnes which was Bolton away, although we lost 2-3 we were totally outplayed and out 'thought' for the 90 minutes, it was embarrassing.

I'm just so glad we've got So'D as the similarities between Donny and us are there to see, I guess SL and the board can see that as well?

Great Read.

The thing that gets me is.....

What the hell did McInnes do/say in his interview to get the job over Sean O'Driscoll in the first place.

Read any interview from McInnes and compare it to literally anything from SoD.....how was Sean not here two years ago, still I suppose at least he's her now.

Have you ever been at an interview where you knew you were the one for the job but the bullshitter got it? Have you ever had to work with that bullshitter?

Whatever SOD is, he's not a bullshitter.

"...I get scouting reports which say ‘he gives the ball away too much’ but I’m trying to train the scouts to ask ‘was it the right ball to play?’ Football’s about giving the ball away – but was it the right pass at the right time? Sometimes I’m more concerned about that than I am about whether or not he completed the pass."

For me, this statement is key to the whole interview and shows that O'Driscoll knows about the game. It's too easy get frustrated with a player and curse him for giving the ball away - it's much harder to analyse it and understand his intent - was it the right pass? Much more important than whether it was completed or not.

If you are going to coach players to have options and to select right option, you can't then persecute them for not completing it. Simple and beautiful.

After reading this, I'm beginning to warm to the man and his obvious football intelligence.

Usually I'm optimistic and all that, But it could still be a honeymoon period, I'm still judging SOD as I rushed in with Mcinnes and that didn't end pretty, I'll give to the start of next season and see what type of players he brings in and let's go, Obviously depending on what league we are in

You don't need to worry. At last we have a decent manager.

Really interesting interview. Clearly worked out why he has come here now:

Wouldn’t most fans think these sorts of things are already in place in Premiership/Championship clubs?
I don’t know. I think fans going to football matches supporting their teams is commonsense but I go to millions of games where people sit there and don’t support their team, they just moan and groan. Why do they bother going if all they’re doing is moaning at their team? I can’t see how that helps.

Obviously knows none of that happens at AG!

Read this one when he first joined, think exiled robin might have posted it as part of his blog.

It's a very good interview and everything he says about the game seems to make perfect sense. I love that he likes to uncomplicate the game.

If only we'd got him a few years ago. Top top manager.

Totally agree with every other poster, it makes for a fascinating and uplifting read. We now have a manager, sorry, head coach, who doesn't just talk a good game but gets the players to deliver a good game too. I was at the match today and was really impressed how organised we looked, every one had a good game so I don't want to single anyone out but bloody hell, Fonts & Tangs were excellent, I can't recall them making a mistake between them. When I compare todays performance with the last game I saw under McInnes which was Bolton away, although we lost 2-3 we were totally outplayed and out 'thought' for the 90 minutes, it was embarrassing.

I'm just so glad we've got So'D as the similarities between Donny and us are there to see, I guess SL and the board can see that as well?

Spot on. :cool:

Archived