IGNORED

Performances Over Results

Lew-T

I think the point everyone is missing, is that this is just a simple way of taking the pressure off the players whilst being in the relegation zone. By putting the emephisis on performance rather than results you remove the fear of failure, and allow them to play without fear. Just about everthing he has said since getting the job has been designed to incease the players confidence, this is part of that process.

Now if we can just find someone to successfully do this with the England team ?????

I think the point everyone is missing, is that this is just a simple way of taking the pressure off the players whilst being in the relegation zone. By putting the emephisis on performance rather than results you remove the fear of failure, and allow them to play without fear. Just about everthing he has said since getting the job has been designed to incease the players confidence, this is part of that process.

Now if we can just find someone to successfully do this with the England team ?????

Interesting thought, but I think it is his usual philosophy. As I've pointed out, it was also Cloughie's.

The signing of Moloney is evidence of the way SOD prefers to play, a no frills player who rarely makes an error defensively, gets forward well at times and is adept at putting a killer ball into the box as per Fonts goal v Barnsley. Does his job basically.

Have to believe we are over complicating a simple concept.

Its not one or the other. You do not send out a team thinking - ok, today the result is more important than the performance, lets set ourselves up in this way then.

He is surely saying the performance is the only thing you control. The outcome has other factors like luck in it. Manage those things where you can have an impact.

Its not one or the other. You do not send out a team thinking - ok, today the result is more important than the performance, lets set ourselves up in this way then.

He is surely saying the performance is the only thing you control. The outcome has other factors like luck in it. Manage those things where you can have an impact.

Spot on.

As Horace puts it, you can and should perfect your hunting technique to make it as effective as possible, but you can never be sure to catch the elusive slug. It's still the best strategy, though...

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "Later that evening a local BBC journalist tweeted that she disagreed with my stance..."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "...stating that in a relegation scrap it is definitely about results rather than performances..."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "Of course, it is about results. But how you get consistent results, without first addressing performances? Id love to know."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "To some people saying you focus on performances not results has the implication you arent actually trying to win every game."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "..or you are less bothered about the result. That is completely not the case. But results can be in the lap of the gods."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "Over a sustained period, if you maintain a certain standard of performance you will increasingly get the outcome you desire."

There you have it.

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "Later that evening a local BBC journalist tweeted that she disagreed with my stance..."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "...stating that in a relegation scrap it is definitely about results rather than performances..."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "Of course, it is about results. But how you get consistent results, without first addressing performances? Id love to know."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "To some people saying you focus on performances not results has the implication you arent actually trying to win every game."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "..or you are less bothered about the result. That is completely not the case. But results can be in the lap of the gods."

@bcfctweets: SO'D writes: "Over a sustained period, if you maintain a certain standard of performance you will increasingly get the outcome you desire."

There you have it.

Exactly Horace's philosphy when hunting the wily slug. It's very difficult to see how you can do it any other way. In the real world that is, not in a journo's fevered imagination...

I think this is the right way to approach it, scrappy football may win the odd game but put Barcelona up against Stoke and 9/10 (if that) Barcelona will win the game. I don't think quality is always the difference maker and our season alone should verify that as we've had the same players but under different managers had a totally different looking team.

I think SOD has the right mentality when it comes to managing, he works with what he has and makes it better which is exactly what we need right now as we obviously cannot bring in a new centre back and we're not a great prospect for loanees to go to and so what we need are good performances that raise confidence. Also I have never understand the scrappy football to get points approach... if you're capable of playing good football then results should follow and under SOD's mentality so far they have.

I don't want us to go down but if we do I'll be a lot happier with SOD at the helm as I think he has club changing qualities, not just managerial qualities and this club needs changing in attitude and mentality.

The sad thing is that SOD has had to come out and explain his thinking to some people, including a local journalist (who the hell does she think she is to tell him he's wrong and who has she ever managed?), without them being able to work it out for themselves.

A little pious Grandad, as most of the people on this forum seem to think they know better than the manager!!!

Archived