IGNORED

Mcmanus & Boro

Cider Queen

Looks like McManus is regularly starting for Boro these days. Do we think we can use that to our advantage or will his knowledge of us hinder us tomorrow.

Also I see that Mowbray is moaning about letting too many goals from set pieces, fingers crossed we can explot this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21684319

Personally I don't think he can help Boro at all. The way the team is playing at present bears no resemblance to the disorganised bunch that was on the field when he was here. With luck he might give Mowbray some out of date info

After Tuesday’s performance when City totally controlled the game against Brighton, I’ll be interested to see if SoD sticks with the same formation or plays with two forwards. The system worked well on Tuesday but City didn’t quite have the cutting edge required to score. That said, Sod likes consistence in team selection so he might stick with the same team. One thing that might make him bring back Davies is Middlesbrough’s awful away record since the start of the year:

1 January v Derby ……………….…….lost 3-1

18 January v Leicester…………….…..lost 1-0

2 February v Ipswich……………….….lost 4-0

16 February v Crystal Palace….....….lost 4-1

19 February v Burnley…………..……drew 0-0

5 March v Huddersfield…………...….lost 2-1

What do you think……stick or bust?

After Tuesday’s performance when City totally controlled the game against Brighton, I’ll be interested to see if SoD sticks with the same formation or plays with two forwards. The system worked well on Tuesday but City didn’t quite have the cutting edge required to score. That said, Sod likes consistence in team selection so he might stick with the same team. One thing that might make him bring back Davies is Middlesbrough’s awful away record since the start of the year:

1 January v Derby ……………….…….lost 3-1

18 January v Leicester…………….…..lost 1-0

2 February v Ipswich……………….….lost 4-0

16 February v Crystal Palace….....….lost 4-1

19 February v Burnley…………..……drew 0-0

5 March v Huddersfield…………...….lost 2-1

What do you think……stick or bust?

Was talking to a colleague about this very subject this morning. SOD puts a lot of emphasis on performance rather than points so for that reason I would not be surprised to see the same line up.

Personally , I would bring in Davies or Baldock and would probably leave out Pearson (a bit harsh as he's playing well). We really need to win tomorrow with the Wolves game to follow , so 2 strikers is a must for me.

Heaton

Maloney , Nyatanga , Fontaine , Cunningham

Kelly , Elliott , Skuse

Anderson

Stead , Davies or Baldock

I thought that McManus was extremely disappointing during his time with us. For a man with his vast experience and reputation he did little or nothing to influence the performance of the team and stem the flow of goals. I expected him to take charge of defensive situations far more than he did. That we conceded so many goals from set pieces during his time with us is a testimony to his (in)ability.

I could never understand why he assumed, for us, the role of quarterback - always the one with responsibility to hoof it upfield to nobody in particular - generally, one of the opposition, so that it could be quickly returned with interest.

I'm pleased that he's back in the Boro team. That can only be good from our viewpoint. We have to be sure to mark him when he comes up for corners but that's about all. He has the turning circle of a dustbin lorry and speed to match. Our forwards running at him should cause him more problems than he causes us - just don't let us constantly hit it long, because to do so will play to his one strength.

I was delighted when he left. So were several others on here who found that their kind offer to drive him back to Middlesbro was not required.

I think that it will be back to a more conventional 442 tomorrow with Davies/Baldock starting in place of Pearson. I'm going for:

Heaton

Maloney, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Cunningham

Kelly, Skuse, Elliot, Anderson

Stead, Davies/Baldock.

Hopefully we get to give some stick to the ex gas player as well Mustapha Carayol

Looks like McManus is regularly starting for Boro these days. Do we think we can use that to our advantage or will his knowledge of us hinder us tomorrow.

Also I see that Mowbray is moaning about letting too many goals from set pieces, fingers crossed we can explot this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21684319

I think Bikey is injured.

I hope McManus does play, I watched with amusement the Boro highlights against Milwall and he was shambolic, always hanging back putting everyone on side, crapping his pants when faced with anyone with a modicom of pace (Woolford!)

I wonder where all of the posters who were saying that we should sign McManus after his loan spell have gone? Very, very quiet. I see that O'Driscoll's 'performances and results' quote has been misconstrued yet again in this thread.

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not ?

If so , I don't know why you think I've misconstrued anything. I understand what he's saying and he is of course right , performing consistently to a high level will reap it's own rewards. Tuesday nights performance was of a high quality and if we play like that tomorrow I fully expect to win the game. I was pointing out in my post , that SOD was more likely to take the pragmatic approach whereas I as a fan would go for the extra striker as I am very much in the points before performance as it stands.

• Admin

Well it's no coincidence Boro's pretty poor run of form has happened with McManus in the team. Funny that.

I was having this very conversation with my housemate is a few weeks ago when we were watching the FLS & I noticed he was playing for Boro.

I would not be surprised to see SO'D change the system slightly to 352 (which he did in a previous home game?). This would mean Maloney shifts across to RCB, Anderson & Cunningham act as wing backs and he can maintain a central midfield trio (with probably Skuse missing out) and bring Davies in to partner Stead up front.

think that it will be back to a more conventional 442 tomorrow with Davies/Baldock starting in place of Pearson. I'm going for:

Heaton

Maloney, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Cunningham

Kelly, Skuse, Elliot, Anderson

Stead, Davies/Baldock.

Hopefully we get to give some stick to the ex gas player as well Mustapha Carayol

No no no to Kelly playing out wide. If we go for 4 in midfield he has to start in the centre and hard luck to one of Skuse or Elliott.

Still not convinced by Kelly.

Without turning this in to Kelly thread, all i'd say is watch the amount of interceptions he makes and perhaps more importantly the amount of passes he stops happening at source by filling gaps and cutting off passing chanels. He's also not ever far away from the oppositions box when one of our chances breaks down too. I hope he plays in the centre.

As for McManus, i felt he was just what we needed when he signed but tbf he did disapoint on both occasions. I wouldnt have minded seeing him with us now we have some structure and orginisation but that boat has sailed and we've moved on. Whether it's Baldock's pace or if Davies's movement dragging him out of his comfort zone i can see him having a difficult afternoon.

Without turning this in to Kelly thread, all i'd say is watch the amount of interceptions he makes and perhaps more importantly the amount of passes he stops happening at source by filling gaps and cutting off passing chanels. He's also not ever far away from the oppositions box when one of our chances breaks down too. I hope he plays in the centre.

As for McManus, i felt he was just what we needed when he signed but tbf he did disapoint on both occasions. I wouldnt have minded seeing him with us now we have some structure and orginisation but that boat has sailed and we've moved on. Whether it's Baldock's pace or if Davies's movement dragging him out of his comfort zone i can see him having a difficult afternoon.

You sum up Kelly brilliantly here, unfortunately because he doesn't make big crunching tackles people think he's not doing any defensive work.

Top player who will only get better and will hopefully develop his passing game to become more of an attacking threat as time goes on.

Archived