IGNORED

Baldock - Hit Or Miss?

edada

Just wondered what other people's opinions are of him. Big money signing who can't get in the side. I know he's been injured but I'd like to think that in training he'd be showing that he's indispensable to the team and be able to offer the goals we need. For me, the jury's still out.

Not as if he has much of a chance to shine in my view.. both Managers seem to take the same view now is that down to the fact that needs must and we cannot afford to play him at the moment or is it purely because he is not good enough? I suggest a bit of both in which case its hit and miss !

All I know is yesterday he would've scored if he was on the pitch when Davies had that chance in the second half where he opted to shoot from 30 yards. Baldock would've taken that through and stuck it away. Would I have started him? Probably not, he needs a run of games to build his confidence and he needs Kilkenny behind to play the through balls. I can't see him leaving though if the worst does happen. No one is going to want him, he will score for fun in league one.

All I know is yesterday he would've scored if he was on the pitch when Davies had that chance in the second half where he opted to shoot from 30 yards. Baldock would've taken that through and stuck it away. Would I have started him? Probably not, he needs a run of games to build his confidence and he needs Kilkenny behind to play the through balls. I can't see him leaving though if the worst does happen. No one is going to want him, he will score for fun in league one.

I hope you're right, but he never has before!

I hope you're right, but he never has before!

No he hasn't as of yet, I believe his best to date in that division is about 15. I'm basically basing my opinion on IF we do go down he will get his run and we will play under SOD with a lot more creativity than we can do now so I reckon he'll be good for 20+ goals. His experience in the CCC should also have made him a better player than he was two seasons ago in the same division.

Any half-decent striker will always look poor playing for us. Pitman, Davies, Baldock even Maynard last season all looked bad, simply because the rest of our team is so bad.

I'd like to see Baldock and Davies start up front together (how many times has that happened?) for the last eight games, because let's face it, we're going down anyway and they probably won't be with us next year.

Quite worrying that we could be left with only one senior striker in Ryan Taylor next season. It was a huge mistake selling Brett.

Does make you wonder why we do sign this type of player if we can't play to the strikers strengths.

A good pacey player that wants the ball to feet.

With the midfield providing through balls for him to run on too, or pick up a bit deeper and drive at the back line. Much like as mentioned a nicky Maynard type player.

They don't want an inaccurate lumped ball thrown at them.

Baldock is a class player at this level. If you remember back to when he came on for his debut, the goal he scored that day epitomises what he is all about, great run off the last defender and slots the ball into the corner. Unfortunately he has had injury problems and not been given the correct service consistentley enough this season. I think he can prosper next season with Davies playing just behind him (providing that we can stay up and keep them both).

Baldock is definitely a better striker than Pitman.

Baldock is a class player at this level. If you remember back to when he came on for his debut, the goal he scored that day epitomises what he is all about, great run off the last defender and slots the ball into the corner. Unfortunately he has had injury problems and not been given the correct service consistentley enough this season. I think he can prosper next season with Davies playing just behind him (providing that we can stay up and keep them both).

Baldock is definitely a better striker than Pitman.

No doubt a much better work rate than pitman, but we have not seen enough of him to say if he is better than him.

The potential is certainly there for all to see though.

Surely he has to be a better outlet than lofted high balls forward in the hope Davies will win them - if we play balls deep in the channels, or between the keeper and CBs he will Baldock get there, worse case scenario you have a defender running onto the ball facing his own net. Baldock can then try to create something or play the ball into the box (if wide) or wide (if central) to bring in our midfield (who you would hope are powering upfield to help).

If your going to play 50/50 long balls, i'd rather these type into space pinning their defence deep than what we do currently.

Surely he has to be a better outlet than lofted high balls forward in the hope Davies will win them - if we play balls deep in the channels, or between the keeper and CBs he will Baldock get there, worse case scenario you have a defender running onto the ball facing his own net. Baldock can then try to create something or play the ball into the box (if wide) or wide (if central) to bring in our midfield (who you would hope are powering upfield to help).

If your going to play 50/50 long balls, i'd rather these type into space pinning their defence deep than what we do currently.

The trouble is our midfield do not power up the field in support very often . Case in point away at wolves.

I think he will be a hit.

At times he has looked like a very capable player at this level. A combination of playing in a poor side, lack of service, injuries and playing under McInnes has not helped him one bit though.

We all know McInnes was useless and completely out of his depth, but I don't think anyone can be critical of him signing Baldock. It was pretty obvious that we needed a quick striker like Baldock to stretch defenders and play on the shoulder. The type of striker that was very different to what we already had at the club. Yes he probably hasn't been as effective as we all would of hoped, but I think that's more down to the circumstances rather than his ability.

I liked Brett, but people need to understand Baldock wasn't signed to replace Pitman. Both completely different strikers. Time to let it go fellas for crying out loud. If anything there was no need to sign Davies. He is more similar to Pitman than Baldock, and we didn't need him.

The money for Davies could have been invested elsewhere, considering we already had Brett. Even more so considering the reluctance of McInnes to play two up top, let alone Baldock and Davies together.

I always liked Brett but not as much as most on here do, but him and Baldock are completely different. I would love to see how Baldock develops under SoD. After all, SoD got the best out of Billy Sharp.

For me, the jury very much remains out on Baldock and to be honest I have been somewhat disappointed by him.

At times he has looked dangerous and decent in front of goal, although not as clinical as I'd hoped, but I think his all round game needs a lot of work for him to be a good player at this level. His first touch lets him down far too often, his passing is poor, he cannot hold the ball up and he is unsurprisingly next to useless in the air. In a team better than ours they may be able to carry his weaknesses in the hope that he will take a chance when provided, but we are not good enough to have a passenger playing up front.

If we get relegated and he stays I would be quietly confident that he could be a consistent scorer in League 1 in a City team that you would hope would be nearer the top end of the table.

Archived