IGNORED

Sacking Managers/coaches

cider-manc

According to the beeb 103 managers and coaches have lost their jobs in the football league this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21857347

This is an insane turn over. I understand that generally when the manager/head coach changes so do the majority of the coaching staff but it just seems a silly amount!

The championship alone has had 17 managerial changes!! Ok so Blackpool, Blackburn and Forest are responsible for most of these......

It just got me thinking that perhaps it should be more difficult for clubs to change managers or rules should provide more protection for managers (much like the players) or perhaps even penalise the club , but I can't see how they could do it.

Was just wondering what others thoughts were?

Here's a thought: why not just give managers a rest now and again, instead of sacking them? Or have a pool of managers you use. We could alternate between Gary Johnson and Sean O'Driscoll for most of the season, for example. Bring in Keith Millen at the end for the relegation scrap. Use Steve Coppell for the pre-season games. Something like that.

I was going to start a thread on this but found yours so I will add what is surely a mis-quote by Richard Bevan:-

Bevan said: "It's embarrassing for the game that all of those sackings are unfair dismissals. The volatility is undermining the profession."

Assuming that is NOT a mis-quote then how is DMC's sacking unfair ? Preposterous i think is the word for that; not used it in a long while and quite like it!

Bevan... go back and issue a new statement squire because you will be the laughing stock if you leave as is OR The Beeb have misquoted him. Someone needs to do some digging.

According to the beeb 103 managers and coaches have lost their jobs in the football league this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21857347

This is an insane turn over. I understand that generally when the manager/head coach changes so do the majority of the coaching staff but it just seems a silly amount!

The championship alone has had 17 managerial changes!! Ok so Blackpool, Blackburn and Forest are responsible for most of these......

It just got me thinking that perhaps it should be more difficult for clubs to change managers or rules should provide more protection for managers (much like the players) or perhaps even penalise the club , but I can't see how they could do it.

Was just wondering what others thoughts were?

In fairness to Blackpool, they've not sacked a manager this year and are on their third.... though whether any of them can be described as "managers" is debatable!

I was going to start a thread on this but found yours so I will add what is surely a mis-quote by Richard Bevan:-

Bevan said: "It's embarrassing for the game that all of those sackings are unfair dismissals. The volatility is undermining the profession."

Assuming that is NOT a mis-quote then how is DMC's sacking unfair ? Preposterous i think is the word for that; not used it in a long while and quite like it!

Bevan... go back and issue a new statement squire because you will be the laughing stock if you leave as is OR The Beeb have misquoted him. Someone needs to do some digging.

In fairness I agree with him. Managers get sacked simply because of results. The results can't just be the managers fault. At the end of the day if he turns up to work every day, does his job(however good or bad) then sacking him in the normal world is unfair dismissal.

The LMA chap on the radio yesterday was talking about the number of managers and coaches sacked, and the wider implications for their families etc.

But the obvious flipside is that in this business as soon as one lot gets the boot another lot take over, the jobs are just constantly recycled.

Archived