IGNORED

Qatar To Lose Wc?

No sympathy at all. Not even the littlest hint. None. Good. I hope they do lose it. Would much rather see it go to Australia or Japan (Two of the other original bidders), or even the USA, but not Qatar.

(And it certainly won't be given to us)

No sympathy at all. Not even the littlest hint. None. Good. I hope they do lose it. Would much rather see it go to Australia or Japan (Two of the other original bidders), or even the USA, but not Qatar.

(And it certainly won't be given to us)

Australia should get it. USA and Japan have had a go.

Now this is interesting, was working in Qatar before Xmas

It's a tiny country - less than 2m people - and they are really ramping up their infrastructure ready for the world cup (metro, etc) - but as others have said, a big issue for the whole thing is that when the fans leave their air-conditioned stadia (the concept for which has not yet been fully tested for viability), they will be hitting heat that is nearly unbearable.

It's a lovely place and the people couldn't be more welcoming, but the heat is a real issue. However, withdrawing the WC at this stage could have a significant impact on the country's economy.

A world cup in Australia would be unreal. I would go for sure.

It would be good but the weather would be rubbish in some parts! Lots of rain and pretty chilly.

Having said that I was once in Oz during their winter and actually the weather was better than it was over here! (I was only there for a week and got lucky though)

It's a tiny country - less than 2m people - and they are really ramping up their infrastructure ready for the world cup (metro, etc) - but as others have said, a big issue for the whole thing is that when the fans leave their air-conditioned stadia (the concept for which has not yet been fully tested for viability), they will be hitting heat that is nearly unbearable.

It's a lovely place and the people couldn't be more welcoming, but the heat is a real issue. However, withdrawing the WC at this stage could have a significant impact on the country's economy.

I would imagine that if the World Cup was just withdrawn that they would claim compensation to an astronomic level - so I can't see FIFA doing it. If, on the other hand, the Qataris ask for a change of date, or in anyway fail to deliver on promises they could be stripped of it, but can't see they would let themsleves get into that position. Looks like we're locked in to a disasterous WC to me with neither side being able to move for fear of the legal battle and huge financial implications that would follow. Factor 800 sun cream anybody?

It would be good but the weather would be rubbish in some parts! Lots of rain and pretty chilly.

Having said that I was once in Oz during their winter and actually the weather was better than it was over here! (I was only there for a week and got lucky though)

oh yeah forgot our summer is their winter!

I can't see many fans turning up anyway so there probably won't be many burning in the sunshine. They'll be at home having barbeques with the TV on.

I would imagine that if the World Cup was just withdrawn that they would claim compensation to an astronomic level - so I can't see FIFA doing it. If, on the other hand, the Qataris ask for a change of date, or in anyway fail to deliver on promises they could be stripped of it, but can't see they would let themsleves get into that position. Looks like we're locked in to a disasterous WC to me with neither side being able to move for fear of the legal battle and huge

I would imagine that if the World Cup was just withdrawn that they would claim compensation to an astronomic level - so I can't see FIFA doing it. If, on the other hand, the Qataris ask for a change of date, or in anyway fail to deliver on promises they could be stripped of it, but can't see they would let themsleves get into that position. Looks like we're locked in to a disasterous WC to me with neither side being able to move for fear of the legal battle and huge financial implications that would follow. Factor 800 sun cream anybody?

Was in Qatar visiting our son while the last world, cup was on. Forget factor 800, we could not be out in the direct sun for more than a minute or so as it is absolutely scorchio.My son showed us a stadium the Qataris had built to demonstrate a system that would give the pitch a cover of air conditioning up to 6 metres above the pitch, that would enable players to play in the stiffling heat. FIA were visiting a month or solater to se the stadium in operation. They were planning to equip all their stadia with this air conditioning system.

Seems to me that either FIFA have been swayed by the money and failed to take into consideration how fans would cope with the heat ( they won't) and the oppressive local rules - alcohol, gays etc. or the Qataris air conditioning system doesn't work as they hoped. On either count this is a problem that was always on the horizen when FIFA looked to take the WC to a tradionally non footballing country.

Greetings from sunny Al Khor, 30 miles north of Doha, and the site one of the proposed World Cup stadiums.

I'm a City fan of 37 years and an Upper Williams season ticket holder until I moved to Qatar last summer. As I left my last home game we were top of the league (I hope Del and the boys have kept up that form)

Anyway, Qatar is tiny - not much bigger than Somerset, and it will be very hot in the summer. But don't underestimate the country's ability to invest and to make the World Cup in 22 very special. There won't need to be too many thousands of tourists to fill the stadiums, as it will be possible for anyone who gets here to travel to all the games, especially when the new railway and metro networks are built.

We are two hours ahead of UK time in the summer, so 10pm kick offs here will be peak TV time in the UK. Evening matches and air conditioning might make a summer World Cup possible, but outside temperatures will still be very hot.

Qatar is now the richest country in the Muslim world. (Money is the main reason they managed win the 2022 bid). The IMF has suggested that their budget for 2012-13 would possibly post a surplus of $10.7 billion. The amount they have spent on the world cup so far is peanuts by their standards.

If the tournament was moved to the winter it would not just disrupt one season. The gradual adjustment before and after 2022 would affect at least 4 seasons. It’s money that talks in football and the Premier League and other major leagues will do everything they can to prevent this happening

am I being blatantly thick, but can the games not be played at night? I can't be ar**d to see what time the sun actually goes down there.

We were in Qatar at world cup time in 2010.

Forget sunset. We landed at 1 o'clock in the morning and the temperature was 40+ degrees even then and it was likea sauna - coming off the plan was like opening an oven door while someone was throwing buckets of water at you.

am I being blatantly thick, but can the games not be played at night? I can't be ar**d to see what time the sun actually goes down there.

That would b a good idea as the temperature would only be approx 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

The remaining problem would be what to do with the fans during the day when the temperature will be 120 ish. If the fans could get drunk they could sleep it off in air conditioned hotels. Unfortunately, as Qatar is a Muslim country, getting a drink will be a problem.

That would b a good idea as the temperature would only be approx 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

The remaining problem would be what to do with the fans during the day when the temperature will be 120 ish. If the fans could get drunk they could sleep it off in air conditioned hotels. Unfortunately, as Qatar is a Muslim country, getting a drink will be a problem.

Sounds like it's going to a right good nobble , don't it :unsure:

Anyway, Qatar is tiny - not much bigger than Somerset, and it will be very hot in the summer. But don't underestimate the country's ability to throw vast amounts of money around in order to achieve whatever they want and to make the World Cup in 22 very special. There won't need to be too many thousands of tourists to fill the stadiums, as it will be possible for anyone who gets here to travel to all the games, especially when the new railway and metro networks are built.

We are two hours ahead of UK time in the summer, so 10pm kick offs here will be peak TV time in the UK. Evening matches and air conditioning might make a summer World Cup possible, but outside temperatures will still be very hot.

Fixed that for you

The big question is what they will do with all the surplus infrastructure after FIFA 22- for example, the massive 1,000+ bed acute hospital that they will need in case of emergencies, as dictated by WC rules. Now that's not a big issue for a large country, plenty of NHS Trusts for example could cope if needed, but in Qatar? Hmmmm...as for the vast numbers of hotels...

Archived