IGNORED

Question For Bristol Football Fans

Jon the Stripe

Gashead here, i come in peace for well mannered debate....

If we both get new stadiums (lets try to forget the ifs, buts and arguments if possible) i would imagine the subject of Statues will come up.

In my opinion only two legends of the game could possibly be considered.

The legends that are : Geoff Bradford and John Atyeo

2019487082_4cf81186f7.jpg

2019486866_ea84f293e7.jpg

Agree or disagree?

If we both get new stadiums (lets try to forget the ifs, buts and arguments if possible) i would imagine the subject of Statues will come up.

Agree or disagree?

Have to agree. Has any other post-WW2 player played for England while at a Bristol club?

Agree or disagree?

100% with you on that mate.

Agree or disagree?

Not sure who Geoff Bradford is but is he involved in some sort of kissing contest in that picture? Is it who can pucker up the best whilst performing a dive?

Undoubtedly correct saggie although, as mentioned above, Wedlock should be commemorated at AG / AV along with Atyeo.

For yourselves, it has to be Bradford. I would have thought you may have something to mark Dennis Dunfords' part in your survival many years ago?

Undoubtedly correct saggie although, as mentioned above, Wedlock should be commemorated at AG / AV along with Atyeo.

For yourselves, it has to be Bradford. I would have thought you may have something to mark Dennis Dunfords' part in your survival many years ago?

Good point, personally think there should always be just one though, always a attraction for fans to appreciate.

I'm thinking of Bobby Moore (Wembley) Johnny Haynes (Craven Cottage) etc

Totally agree. Amazing how their careers mirror each other. Both had roughly the same game/goals ratio, top appearance/goals for club, both should have played many, many, more times for England, both turned down big money moves to Liverpool and both died within months of each other. Great, great players/men.

Agree or disagree?

You've got to know your history for this thread or you will look silly.

Geoff Bradford and Atyeo always respected one another, so that's good enough for me, even if we set aside Bradford's amazing stats.

Bradford was brilliant in a different way to Big John and grown men cried at Eastville when Bradford came back from horrendous injuries to play and score for Rovers again.

We're talking about a different time when fans just could not afford or it was not possible to follow either City or Rovers Home and Away exclusively. So many would go to City at Home one week and Rovers at Home the next week. Without thinking they were being disloyal. They knew who their first team was and although there was bitter rivalry at times there was more respect for the other team in Bristol.

Like Atyeo, Bradford was good enough to play for England, while playing in a second level team and score for our country, so he should have our respect and admiration.

The other distinction is of course is that Geoff Bradford, unlike Big John, was a Bristolian. one of the few to have achieved an England cap, so he is up there for me.

Geoff Bradford and Atyeo always respected one another, so that's good enough for me, even if we set aside Bradford's amazing stats.

Bradford was brilliant in a different way to Big John and grown men cried at Eastville when Bradford came back from horrendous injuries to play and score for Rovers again.

We're talking about a different time when fans just could not afford or it was not possible to follow either City or Rovers Home and Away exclusively. So many would go to City at Home one week and Rovers at Home the next week. Without thinking they were being disloyal. They knew who their first team was and although there was bitter rivalry at times there was more respect for the other team in Bristol.

Like Atyeo, Bradford was good enough to play for England, while playing in a second level team and score for our country, so he should have our respect and admiration.

The other distinction is of course is that Geoff Bradford, unlike Big John, was a Bristolian. one of the few to have achieved this so he is up there for me.

Very knowledgeable, respectful and unbiased reply, Great comments, they both deserve the highest honours our clubs can give them in my opinion.

If i could go back in time, i'd pay to watch both Bradford and Atyeo.

Very knowledgeable, respectful and unbiased reply, Great comments, they both deserve the highest honours our clubs can give them in my opinion.

cheers mate. Fair play to you.

Different times indeed

Makes I cry to think about those two buggers playing in Bristol at the same time in history

Agree with you Jon but if there were two for each then Harry Bamford for Rovers and Billy Wedlock for City

Great shout,,,

Rovers v City at Eastville 1958

The players are wearing black armbands as a mark of respect to Harry Bamford who died in a motorbike accident aged 38, Harry was still a regular for Rovers at the time...RIP

8062180689_626f734af4_z.jpg

The other distinction is of course is that Geoff Bradford, unlike Big John, was a Bristolian. one of the few to have achieved an England cap, so he is up there for me.

"Great" is on overused adjective often used to describe ordinary footballers playing in ordinary football matches for ordinary teams.

Both Atyeo and Bradford were extraordinary - not only great footballers but great men and great role models for the generations that were fortunate to have watched them.

"Great" is on overused adjective often used to describe ordinary footballers playing in ordinary football matches for ordinary teams.

Both Atyeo and Bradford were extraordinary - not only great footballers but great men and great role models for the generations that were fortunate to have watched them.

agree with you there mate. Times have also changed in the way we use language (fantastic????). I believe Atyeo and Bradford were "Great" because as you say, they were extraordainary men. Even the word "Great" wasn't used as freely in the 1950's

Wasn't Atyeo Bristolian?

No, he was from Dilton Marsh in Wiltshire. Very fair shout though on both Atyeo and Bradford. Being in my 20's i obviously didnt see Big john pull on a city shirt but it goes without saying that some sort of statue will feature at the revamped AG or AV whichever is the case.

Ive read up alot about Bradford in the past and like John, he was an extraodinary footballer and man. Would be a nice gesture from the gas if they also feature a statue at the UWE ground once its open.

No, he was from Dilton Marsh in Wiltshire.

With the greatest of respect mate, Dilton Marsh was where Atyeo spent most of his life and settled down while playing for City when he got married and started a family but he was born elsewhere in Wiltshire at Standerwick.

You may know Tom Hopegood's book "Atyeo - Hero next door" which gives great detail on all his biographical stuff.

To return to the thread, we should find out as much as we can about these great players - if you can recommend a decent biography of Geoff Bradford can you post it please.

great post..wish we could have more respect now and of course maintain strong rivalry,but alas a sign of the times would dictate such sentiments would be beyond most on both sides of the fence now..sad really..suppose progress aint always that!

Archived