IGNORED

Sod's Remit? Take Us Down?

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

I might be cynical (or just a Devils Advocate), but I was wondering if SOD's remit when he got the job was to take us down?

With critisism of the board and its decision making, the extended farce of the new stadium and little hope of being anywhere other than the bottom half of the Championship next season, could the board have said "your task is to take us down, get rid of high earners and dead wood, then introduce some exciting, if raw, young talent and have us vying for top spot in League One - thus - feelgood atmosphere round the place, bigger crowds watching a table topping (top 4 anyway) team and less attention paid to the board and new stadium".

There is no doubt that the atmosphere and general feeling on here, in pubs and around the ground is better when at the top end of League One, rather than struggling and being rooted to the base of the Championship. I would assume that a good start in League One would see a boost to second half season ticket sales at Xmas, a nice capital injection for a cash strapped club. The walk up might improve with the team winning and genuinely striving for promotion.

Of course, all this hypothesis depends on SOD finding the necessary talent and coaching it into a winning side and therein lies the risk.

I always smile when people tell me it will be a financial disaster if we go down. Really? Just because we wont be getting as much income, our spending will be a heck of a lot better, there has never been 11 million losses in League 1. Our debt will increase of course, but at a snails pace compared to life in the championship.

I might be cynical (or just a Devils Advocate), but I was wondering if SOD's remit when he got the job was to take us down?

With critisism of the board and its decision making, the extended farce of the new stadium and little hope of being anywhere other than the bottom half of the Championship next season, could the board have said "your task is to take us down, get rid of high earners and dead wood, then introduce some exciting, if raw, young talent and have us vying for top spot in League One - thus - feelgood atmosphere round the place, bigger crowds watching a table topping (top 4 anyway) team and less attention paid to the board and new stadium".

There is no doubt that the atmosphere and general feeling on here, in pubs and around the ground is better when at the top end of League One, rather than struggling and being rooted to the base of the Championship. I would assume that a good start in League One would see a boost to second half season ticket sales at Xmas, a nice capital injection for a cash strapped club. The walk up might improve with the team winning and genuinely striving for promotion.

Of course, all this hypothesis depends on SOD finding the necessary talent and coaching it into a winning side and therein lies the risk.

Begs the question my did the board sack Mcinnes?

He was ticking all the boxes you have outlined.

Especially the taking us down one.

What a ridiculous thread. Anyone with any knowledge of O'Driscoll's career at this point ought to be familiar with the following concepts:

a.) Normally the first step he takes is making his teams hard to beat. We've improved a lot since he took over but the damage had already been done before that and it's obvious that our away form will be the death of us in the Championship. If you look at what's happened with Forest this season, it was SO'D who steadied the ship. It was the impatience of the Al Hasawi family (a less dysfunctional version of Venky's) that ended his spell there.

b.) He's got experience in the Championship and League 1. One of the reasons we're going down is because until SO'D was appointed we had a succession of managers who had no experience managing at this level. Consquently I think we can argue that none of them knew what to do when it came to turning the club around: we'll have a big advantage wherever we're playing next season because SO'D knows the territory.

I'm on record elsewhere as thinking that SO'D was overrated. I've changed my mind to some extent after what he's done here, but let's give him a calendar year before we start spouting shyte. And I'd much rather be doing badly in the Championship rather in the wasteland of League 1 - we need to stop this provincial thinking if we're going to make any progress next season.

My biggest worry is if SOD will stay next season, after seeing how little some of our players care I'm wondering if he'll want to be at a club where the players seem to see it as a free ride.

I personally hope he stays, ships out any player who has been here for more than 3 years and shows no sign of improvement and then rebuilds entirely. Our squad is far too weak for what we pay, it's far too weak for a midtable championship squad and we need a leader on the field, someone like Shaun Taylor was, someone sharp upfront like Andy Cole was, someone who can play on the left naturally and who will work hard like Tinnion was. My biggest problem with this side right now is I look at it and think... in ten years time the only reason I'll remember any of these players is for negative reasons.

We don't have a player to cheer on right now, I miss the days we had Junior Bent... he wasn't a great player but he was inspiring and got the crowd going, I miss Tommy Doherty, another player who wasn't a great player but he motivated his teammates, I miss caring more than anything!

This squad is the most uninspiring squad I think I remember without someone else reminding me of a worse one.

I honestly feel like this squad has deflated and become too stale to inspire. In my eyes Elliot, Foster, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Skuse, Pearson, Davies, Anderson and Carey all need to go. Carey I say only needs to go because of his age and we need new blood, he's the only one on that list I would miss!

We essentially need a new spine to the team, we need a leader, someone inspirational when they get on the ball and more than anything they need to want to play for the club and not for an overpaid check that they haven't earned.

My biggest worry is if SOD will stay next season, after seeing how little some of our players care I'm wondering if he'll want to be at a club where the players seem to see it as a free ride.

I personally hope he stays, ships out any player who has been here for more than 3 years and shows no sign of improvement and then rebuilds entirely. Our squad is far too weak for what we pay, it's far too weak for a midtable championship squad and we need a leader on the field, someone like Shaun Taylor was, someone sharp upfront like Andy Cole was, someone who can play on the left naturally and who will work hard like Tinnion was. My biggest problem with this side right now is I look at it and think... in ten years time the only reason I'll remember any of these players is for negative reasons.

We don't have a player to cheer on right now, I miss the days we had Junior Bent... he wasn't a great player but he was inspiring and got the crowd going, I miss Tommy Doherty, another player who wasn't a great player but he motivated his teammates, I miss caring more than anything!

This squad is the most uninspiring squad I think I remember without someone else reminding me of a worse one.

I honestly feel like this squad has deflated and become too stale to inspire. In my eyes Elliot, Foster, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Skuse, Pearson, Davies, Anderson and Carey all need to go. Carey I say only needs to go because of his age and we need new blood, he's the only one on that list I would miss!

We essentially need a new spine to the team, we need a leader, someone inspirational when they get on the ball and more than anything they need to want to play for the club and not for an overpaid check that they haven't earned.

I have no worries about him staying. He clearly sees a big project here. The only way I could see him leaving is if SL interferes or he is sacked/poached I can't see him walking coppell style

I have no worries about him staying. He clearly sees a big project here. The only way I could see him leaving is if SL interferes or he is sacked/poached I can't see him walking coppell style

Left Crawley pretty sharpish to jump into fire though didn't he.

Sorry, Maesknoll but that's straight outta Tin Foil Cap Conspiracy stuff.

He was bought into steady the ship, but if it went down then would be capable hands to bring it back to the surface, rather than doing it on purpose

As Ive said elsewhere, if people think we are suddenly going to be a top team in the league below, they need their heads checking

Quite so, especially since so many of the players who are to blame are still under (lucrative) contract and will no doubt continue in their cozy ways. My guess would be a minimum of 3 years for SOD to turn it around.

Sod`s has made some questionable calls in recent selections, subs and STILL a lack of signings, loan or otherwise.

There must of been someone temp or not to come in for Stead, asking Davies virtually on his own to lead the line was never going to work. Baldocks a waste of space and Albert`s mind is not here, maybe smarting from to many benches.

Not for the first time our failure to make signings/loans in the Jan window will cost us more than a couple of signings would have.

I dont want us setting up not to lose I want us going to WIN EVERY GAME.

Why should we worry about the opposition let them worry about us; Sod please stop being so arty,farty, PRIDE,PASSION,BELIEF we want our CITY BACK.

While looking for someone to blame we should remember; the players didnt bring themselves here and dont pick themselves each game; the manager didnt bring himself here. The board must carry the can for the failure of the company it runs, its that simple.

I always smile when people tell me it will be a financial disaster if we go down. Really? Just because we wont be getting as much income, our spending will be a heck of a lot better, there has never been 11 million losses in League 1. Our debt will increase of course, but at a snails pace compared to life in the championship.

This!!

Cut our cloth. We would be one of the better payers in league one even with our cost cutting. Our losses will come right down.

Archived