IGNORED

Skuse, Elliott, Pearson, Carey, Gerken, Foster, Adomah, Taylor Thanks

Pete1975Legend

Personally wouldn't mind keeping Albert and Marv. I know Marv can't pass, but he at least gets stuck in, often manages to influence a game and can at least chip in with a few goals. Why on earth we need to keep Kilkenny or Nyatanga I don't know, and we haven't seen anything of Howard to justify him staying. Agree about the rest though...

The OP would discard a number of players who are perfectly suitable - and indeed would be an asset - at L1 level.

We won't have a choice about who we 'move on'. That will be determined by contracts, transfer requests and who we can afford on a much reduced budget.

As much as this fantasy about starting L1 with a 'clean slate' is appealing, in reality it's always a disaster when you play a team with a majority of newbies - players who don't know each other. You will see plenty of familiar faces in our side, particularly at the start of the season.

The OP would discard a number of players who are perfectly suitable - and indeed would be an asset - at L1 level.

We won't have a choice about who we 'move on'. That will be determined by contracts, transfer requests and who we can afford on a much reduced budget.

As much as this fantasy about starting L1 with a 'clean slate' is appealing, in reality it's always a disaster when you play a team with a majority of newbies - players who don't know each other. You will see plenty of familiar faces in our side, particularly at the start of the season.

Well there will still be a lot of players in the team from this season as the names that keep getting bounded aboutby fans to keep are

Heaton

Maloney

Cunningham

Kelly

Anderson

Bladock

Stead (though I looks like hes already going)

So we would be looking for 4 first team players and cover (either the U21's or new signings as subs).

I really hope we do not fall into the trap of " and indeed would be an asset - at L1 level." the last thing I want to see is a plethora of players get new 3 years contracts on the back of "they will be ok in L1" (but can't hack it in the Championship). Who knows how long we will be in L1, but if we did get promoted the first season we will be back where we were a few seasons ago with an almost entire squad not good enough, but on contracts we have to honour.

Well there will still be a lot of players in the team from this season as the names that keep getting bounded aboutby fans to keep are

Heaton

Maloney

Cunningham

Kelly

Anderson

Bladock

So we would be looking for 4 first team players and cover (either the U21's or new signings as subs).

I really hope we do not fall into the trap of " and indeed would be an asset - at L1 level." the last thing I want to see is a plethora of players get new 3 years contracts on the back of "they will be ok in L1" (but can't hack it in the Championship). Who knows how long we will be in L1, but if we did get promoted the first season we will be back where we were a few seasons ago with an almost entire squad not good enough, but on contracts we have to honour.

Not only the saddling of us with players if we go straight back up , what if those same players decide to down tools again next season if they don't like the manager or don't fancy a Tuesday night in December at some Northern outpost.

I get what Red Robbo means with starting again with a fresh squad , but it really is long overdue.

Heaton

Maloney

Cunningham

Kelly

Anderson

Bladock

I know what your saying, but it depends on the contracts. I agree you wouldn't want to tie some to long contracts.

At the same time, do we have the dosh to pay-off loads of people who are on existing contracts?

Pearson would be very handy at L1 level, as would Elliott.

Skuse will be gone and we can get money for Albert so it's bye-bye there too. We'll need a reserve keeper, so if it's not Gerken - who everyone is judging from his last crap game behind a crap defence - we will have to buy someone in or get someone else considered not good enough by their club. Carey's probably had his day, but I think he'll stay at the club and get involved in the coaching set-up. Taylor, I'm unsure. What contract is he on? He can't be a big earner here. Foster BFH.

I know what your saying, but it depends on the contracts. I agree you wouldn't want to tie some to long contracts.

At the same time, do we have the dosh to pay-off loads of people who are on existing contracts?

Skuse will be gone and we can get money for Albert so it's bye-bye there too. We'll need a reserve keeper, so if it's not Gerken - who everyone is judging from his last crap game behind a crap defence - we will have to buy someone in or get someone else considered not good enough by their club. Carey's probably had his day, but I think he'll stay at the club and get involved in the coaching set-up. Taylor, I'm unsure. What contract is he on? He can't be a big earner here. Foster BFH.

I am not sure how up-to-date this is - but contracts appearing to end 2013 are

6f3aefb551969f945d9bef600504d980.png?136

And 2014

dcda5a283e71d6013aca9cac6f1042d2.png?136

The 2013-2014 players I do not think would need to be paid up, if told they are not in our future plans, we will try to look for clubs, otherwise they will be playing/training with the reserves any professional player should/would look to move. So 18 players of which Heaton, Gerken, Anderson and Stead are the only ones I'd be looking to keep.

I agree with you on Gerken, the guy has stepped up and played in the final run of matches for 2 seasons in which we have avoided relegation. Yet he keeps getting overlook and replaced first by James then Heaton - he earned himself a chance at least for the No1 jersey - but seems he is destined to leave this year (who want's to be No2 their whole career). I do not know what he has really done to deserve to be held in such low regard by so many.

But time for us too move on starting tomorrow

Heaton

Cunningham

Moloney

Nyatanga

Fontaine

Anderson

Kelly

Howard

Kilkenny

Davies

Baldock

Kilkenny?

No Elliott?

Did you go to Derby?

Elliott is one of the only players that gets stuck in and breaks up other teams passing.

Kilkenny is lightweight and seems to spend most of the game pointing and moaning at others.

If we'd had 11 players with marv's attitude, passion and determination we'd probably not be where we are now.

Sorry you're wrong, it didn't do Charlton any harm a couple of seasons ago in league 1.

18 or 19 new players in if I remember at the start of season by Chris Powell.

So whats wrong with that , rather see Howard start a game otherwise he's another one that falls into the pointless signing category.

Did I say there was anything wrong? I was pointing out what list it was based on pete's feelings on Skuse.

Seems you have issue with something I haven't posted!

Sorry you're wrong, it didn't do Charlton any harm a couple of seasons ago in league 1.

18 or 19 new players in if I remember at the start of season by Chris Powell.

The more usual scenario is no-one knows each other's style of play, no-one knows each other's weaknesses and the team is usually hammered before it settles down a bit.

It's one of the reasons why QPR in this division, Man City in the Prem etc were not able to buy instant success IMO. The 'Fantasy Football' approach didn't work until the team had settled down and started to click together.

But this is speculation. The fact is, the club will not be paying-off the contract of many - if any - players and not everyone we may want to see depart will.

The more usual scenario is no-one knows each other's style of play, no-one knows each other's weaknesses and the team is usually hammered before it settles down a bit.

It's one of the reasons why QPR in this division, Man City in the Prem etc were not able to buy instant success IMO. The 'Fantasy Football' approach didn't work until the team had settled down and started to click together.

But this is speculation. The fact is, the club will not be paying-off the contract of many - if any - players and not everyone we may want to see depart will.

I do agree and fear like many supporters that there will be a limited turnover of players to what we actually wish for.

To be honest league 1 is a awful league and if we can't get out if it with the players we'd have, we deserve to be there! i fully exoect to be promoted next season if we can keep the likes of Moloney, Cunningham, Baldock, Nyatanga, Kelly, Anderson, Davies... surely these players are far to good for league ******* 1?

Your problem will be similar to most of the Championship clubs that come down in that you have a squad of basic Championship players who play a certain way and probably also won't want to be playing in League 1. The football that division below needs different qualities to that possessed in the Championship and your first problem will be that downgrading. The important thing IMO is hungry players on short 1 year contracts who are good enough to play at the top of League 1 and the more you clear out the better it will probably be.

Believe me it is not easy acclimatising to the division below.

Your problem will be similar to most of the Championship clubs that come down in that you have a squad of basic Championship players who play a certain way and probably also won't want to be playing in League 1. The football that division below needs different qualities to that possessed in the Championship and your first problem will be that downgrading. The important thing IMO is hungry players on short 1 year contracts who are good enough to play at the top of League 1 and the more you clear out the better it will probably be.

Believe me it is not easy acclimatising to the division below.

Most of our players don't want to play in the championship, yet alone Tuesday night trips to Crewe.

We spent 7/8 years trying to get out of league 1. Im hoping we should be experts at it!

Im hopeful the appointment of the new scout will pick up some bargains... Johnson showed we need a huge team spirit, siege mentality, mixed in with glimpses of genius (noble). We picked up some bargains down there - basso, russell, fontaine, mccombe; we need to do that again.

Why do you say that Robbo?

Do City have any vacancies for coaches? Considering Carey's never shown any interest in coaching creating such a position for him at the club would be a very strange move.

He's also said he plans to continue his playing career for 2 more years, so presumably that will be for another club.

Time for a clean break.

I am not sure how up-to-date this is - but contracts appearing to end 2013 are

6f3aefb551969f945d9bef600504d980.png?136

And 2014

dcda5a283e71d6013aca9cac6f1042d2.png?136

The 2013-2014 players I do not think would need to be paid up, if told they are not in our future plans, we will try to look for clubs, otherwise they will be playing/training with the reserves any professional player should/would look to move. So 18 players of which Heaton, Gerken, Anderson and Stead are the only ones I'd be looking to keep.

I agree with you on Gerken, the guy has stepped up and played in the final run of matches for 2 seasons in which we have avoided relegation. Yet he keeps getting overlook and replaced first by James then Heaton - he earned himself a chance at least for the No1 jersey - but seems he is destined to leave this year (who want's to be No2 their whole career). I do not know what he has really done to deserve to be held in such low regard by so many.

Because he's a liability, I give you Newcastle home -gave way their first goal which got them back into the match, Blackpool away last season and Leicester home this.

Archived