IGNORED

What Has Happened To The Encloure

Sixtyseconds

Eastend side? Where once young men leaped around in Tachinni tops yesteray all to a Wurzel were sat motionless. More vexed by that than City being bottom.

CCTV, the fear of a thread being made about "the mad man in the old enclosure singing too loud" on OTIB, the smell of vick or you simply cant get a decent Tachinni top in xxxl :cool:

Not in all countries tbh, but here it seems to be prevalent- our ground is esp bad tbh.

It amazes me how much, some people slag the eastend off. It's better than many stands in the country. Is it amazing no, but it's better than a hell of a lot of places.

Take that away and I dread to think what Ashton gate would be like.

That isn't a dig at other stands, just football in general.

Not in all countries tbh, but here it seems to be prevalent- our ground is esp bad tbh.

I would totally disagree fella. In the championship visiting barnsley, brum, cardiff, charlton, derby etc you realise ashton gate is one of the best.

Others countries have ultras and its anti modern football culture. Zero chance of seeing that nationwide in the uk.

It amazes me how much, some people slag the eastend off. It's better than many stands in the country. Is it amazing no, but it's better than a hell of a lot of places.

Take that away and I dread to think what Ashton gate would be like.

That isn't a dig at other stands, just football in general.

I've been in all the stands and yeah the EastEnd is best tbh I would agree. My original point was a bit much, but I will be honest it didn't from where I was sitting sound THAT noisy Monday.,

We'll all hark back to halcyon days of our youth, but I'm reasonably sure that Ashton Gate collectively had a fair bit more atmosphere than today in the 70's (obviously I guess, given success), 80's (less obviously) and 90's? All that said, maybe it's about success on the field, given many talk with reverence of more recent Hartlepool play off etc.

• East End end of the Enclosure vs Hereford in Freight Rover semi final
  • Same for West Ham on a Tuesday night League Cup game (?) with some of them (West Ham) in the Grandstand (I think, am I dreaming...?)
  • Those were the days when you had to rustle up a new ski hat every Saturday and could pretty much get anything (I'm pretty sure I had a half City, half Hibernians of Malta version... or maybe not)
  • East End more in the 70's (as I recall, other parts more jumping in the 80's onwards?)
  • Dolman block B when away fans in the Open End (including great atmospheres when away fans (e.g. Wolves?) were in Block A)
  • Even the Open End had plenty of good times with interesting half times around the back
  • Everywhere jumping for Donowa night and many more

Anyway, I'm just thankful for a thread that's reminded me of half and half ski hats for about the first time in 20 years.

I've been in all the stands and yeah the EastEnd is best tbh I would agree. My original point was a bit much, but I will be honest it didn't from where I was sitting sound THAT noisy Monday.,

Maybe that came across wrong, I wasn't have a go at you.

I just meant, yes our ground isn't amazing but it's better than others. It's the joys of modern football.

Same for West Ham on a Tuesday night League Cup game (?) with some of them (West Ham) in the Grandstand (I think, am I dreaming...?)

Played them off the park for 75 mins in 74-75 (?), Cheese scored a belter in front of the EE, Tom Ritchie missed a penalty and then it all went TU and we lost 1-3.

Happy days

No not dreaming I can still picture now the City lads in the Enclosure trying to climb up over the wall to mingle with their Hammers brothers. An unsuccessful mission but not for the want of trying.

It was a 2 leg League Cup tie where we were done 6-1 at Upton Park and then held them 1-1 at AG if I recall, early 80's, Walshy scored a trademark.

Honours even off the pitch. Pockets of City lads all over - East End, Enclosure, side of Grandstand, Open End and Dolman Block A. Nowadays we have a "singing area".

The past 30 years has been a journey of one extreme to an equally ridiculous extreme at the other end so that now to expand on the lament of the OP even boisterousness is seen as a bit risque.

Am I alone in not having a clue what this thread is all about (apart from being aware it refers to the atmosphere (or rather the lack of it) in the EE yesterday ?

The Enclosure (correct spelling) was a standing area pitchside right across the front of the Williams stand.

Mentioned in the title but I fail to see the relevance to the Wedlock Stand today.

Oh well, must be my age (I used to stand in the Enclosure in the 1970's).

For all you youngsters on here, before the Atyeo stand was built (about 20 years ago I think) that was the old "Open End" where the away fans went - all standing, no cover.

The changing rooms were then in the Williams and the players came out of the tunnel in the centre of the stand (still clearly visible today between the shelters where the subs and management sit).

The best place to stand in the old Enclosure was next to the tunnel as that was on the half way line and you could cheer the home team - or jeer the opponents almost face to face as they came on and off the pitch.

Happy days !

Am I alone in not having a clue what this thread is all about (apart from being aware it refers to the atmosphere (or rather the lack of it) in the EE yesterday ?

The Enclosure (correct spelling) was a standing area pitchside right across the front of the Williams stand.

Mentioned in the title but I fail to see the relevance to the Wedlock Stand today.

Oh well, must be my age (I used to stand in the Enclosure in the 1970's).

Its about ther demise of football culture, in this case Bristol Citys. In previous decades with a crowd that size that section Eastend side would have been filled with men of a different type.

Its about ther demise of football culture, in this case Bristol Citys. In previous decades with a crowd that size that section Eastend side would have been filled with men of a different type.

It still is when there's a derby or someone like Leeds and Millwall. Well not on the same scale. I imagine on Monday it was filled with people doing their one game a season who insist on sitting down.

It still is when there's a derby or someone like Leeds and Millwall. Well not on the same scale. I imagine on Monday it was filled with people doing their one game a season who insist on sitting down.

Is it the same in Williams Block F would you say? I was there Monday and the atmosphere was shocking- given it's near the away fans I'd have thought it'd have been quite noisy.

I would totally disagree fella. In the championship visiting barnsley, brum, cardiff, charlton, derby etc you realise ashton gate is one of the best.

Others countries have ultras and its anti modern football culture. Zero chance of seeing that nationwide in the uk.

Sadly that last bit is true enough. I haven't been able to go to many away games due to varied circs- maybe it's everyone feeling fed up and worn down by 3 seasons in a row such as this I don't know. Why do we lack the anti modern football culture nationwide here though?

Is it the same in Williams Block F would you say? I was there Monday and the atmosphere was shocking- given it's near the away fans I'd have thought it'd have been quite noisy.

Hardly a fair test - the first home game after the penny dropped that we're going down :(

No not dreaming I can still picture now the City lads in the Enclosure trying to climb up over the wall to mingle with their Hammers brothers. An unsuccessful mission but not for the want of trying.

It was a 2 leg League Cup tie where we were done 6-1 at Upton Park and then held them 1-1 at AG if I recall, early 80's, Walshy scored a trademark.

Honours even off the pitch. Pockets of City lads all over - East End, Enclosure, side of Grandstand, Open End and Dolman Block A. Nowadays we have a "singing area".

The past 30 years has been a journey of one extreme to an equally ridiculous extreme at the other end so that now to expand on the lament of the OP even boisterousness is seen as a bit risque.

1st leg wasn't it? Drew 2-2 and lost 6-1 at their place. Long time ago though , memory's fading a bit !! Was in the Enclosure that night , quite an experience.

I was there too Glyn in the enclosure. Just a boy at the time.

Turned pwoppa nawty when some City wag shouted 'West Ham got no bottle' (It being a Milk Cup match) - West Ham fans were in the Williams just above the enclosure next to the East End.

Archived