IGNORED

To Those Who Know About The Academy...

Jordan Tansley

Quick question

Who and how do I contact the academy about a young player? He's 7 years old, but he's got a hell of a lot of talent and I'd hate to see him taken by Southampton or Cardiff when he's from round here!

I'd really love to one day be sat in my seat in the Dolman to hear his name over the tannoy as he makes his city debut...

Wishful thinking!

Quick question

Who and how do I contact the academy about a young player? He's 7 years old, but he's got a hell of a lot of talent and I'd hate to see him taken by Southampton or Cardiff when he's from round here!

I'd really love to one day be sat in my seat in the Dolman to hear his name over the tannoy as he makes his city debut...

Wishful thinking!

They normally go out scouting or hold trials,

A good start is getting him in to a county team he'll be noticed quicker there which is what happened to my newphew who recently turned down cardiff

Jordan,

I have asked you to PM the details.

Just to confirm Southampton cannot sign up any U7 player.

Players cannot sign until U9.

They are free to try any Academy up until U9.

Perhaps any players who are at Southampton who are U7 or U8 would like to try our Academy.

Jordan,

Perhaps any players who are at Southampton who are U7 or U8 would like to try our Academy.

I've just replied to your PM.

Thanks Nick if you highlighted this.

I've just replied to your PM.

Thanks Nick if you highlighted this.

No I didn't but could see he was reading, didnt know if he would PM hence email suggestion.

Dont forget to ask for your cut of the first contract.

No I didn't but could see he was reading, didnt know if he would PM hence email suggestion.

Dont forget to ask for your cut of the first contract.

It's the only reason I got into junior coaching, Find a starlet make him look up to me, take him into an academy and get a role as his agent!

This time next year we'll be millionaires! ;)

I am of course joking, The main reason I want this lad taken on this young is because I feel like my lack of experience is going to hinder him and the sooner he gets some professional guidance the better. He really is good.

Thanks Jordan.

I've passed on the details to our Somerset Regional Scout.

He will arrange to watch the player.

Obviously it's noncompetitive friendlies at the moment, so if you want to pass on my e-mail to him he can get in touch about fixtures and what-not.

Cheers for this, pleasantly surprised at how quickly my question was answered!

Jordan,

Any kid of mine, if I truly wanted what was best for them, not Bristol City, would be heading down to Southampton. They have a cracking record of developing youngsters, where we...

I am not trying to belittle what we are trying to do. Hopefully we are improving. But at the moment, the proof is in the pudding.

Of course as they are no relative of mine, and they are good. Go sign em up city :)

Cracking stuff....

Just out of curousity, is there anyone who reads this that deals with players around the 16 year old bracket, asking as my son played for a team when he was 12years upto 14 with a player who signed for City, would love to know hows he's getting on...he was really good and a stand out player in the top division at the time. !! Don't want to mention names on a forum though.

The whole youth set up within England is seriously flawed.

They shouldnt be playing 11 a side football at that age..... Should be 5 or 6 aside with hard balls in small spaces.

Would make a world of difference in the long run

They don't play eleven a side, it's 6 a side

They don't play eleven a side, it's 6 a side

What age do they start 11 aside on full size pitches now?

Do they play with the smaller heavier balls that corleone suggests? Always thought it was a good way for youngsters to get a feel for a ball.

Do they play with the smaller heavier balls that corleone suggests? Always thought it was a good way for youngsters to get a feel for a ball.

I think they start about under 12, but not on full size pitches. They sometimes train with futzal balls which are indeed heavier ball.

On the Southampton subject, they go to Bath which is a satalight, only if they are good enough will they go the whole hog and go to southamton to train and play with the full Acadamy squad. Thats my understanding anyway.

From next season U11s will play 9 a-side for two seasons and then go to 11 a-side. I have a feeling that they may play 9 a-side for 3 years though soon.

U7s will be 5 a-side I think, then it will go to 7, 9 and then 11. A step in the right direction.

Too many dads though still think that real football is 11 a-side and do not support the smaller sided games.

I think they start about under 12, but not on full size pitches. They sometimes train with futzal balls which are indeed heavier ball.

On the Southampton subject, they go to Bath which is a satalight, only if they are good enough will they go the whole hog and go to southamton to train and play with the full Acadamy squad. Thats my understanding anyway.

Cheers. That is good info.

Like someone said, under 11's play 9 then under 13's play 11. My lads play with a size 4 ball, but not heavier ones, we're looking at futsal for training purposes but essentially it's just football on a smaller scale at the mo.

The goals are a bit big still, anything in the top third of the goal is a nailed on goal. Gets worse as you move to the 11 aside goals unfortunately!

We try to train on smaller pitches to encourage passim and moving, the 'piggy in the middle' possession game is really good for them to be fair, match situations are a little tougher to get them in that habit of course because they panic a touch under real pressure. It'll come.

The whole youth set up within England is seriously flawed.

They shouldnt be playing 11 a side football at that age..... Should be 5 or 6 aside with hard balls in small spaces.

Would make a world of difference in the long run

Mate, you are so wrong it is untrue.

My Grandson is one from "round here" who is at Cardiff City unfortunately. He is an U11 and so far this season he has played 7 v 7, 8 v 8 and 9 v 9 in "proper" matches. But they have also played plenty of 5-a-side Futsal as well which is supposed to be the best thing young lads can play to improve technique. The goals they play in are age appropriate and the pitch sizes are appropriate to the number of players playing. They play loads of SSG's in training too and do Day Release from school once per week where TWO HOURS of that day is devoted entirely to INDIVIDUAL SKILLS and nothing else.

To answer the original point Jordan Tansley should contact City's Academy direct and arrange for them to have a look at the player concerned. As others have said you can play for who you like up to the U9 age group but if he is that good and City don't get hold of him then Cardiff or Southampton will. Getting relegated is not going to help our Academy recruitment either especially given the fact that Southampton are targeting the conversion of the Bath Development Centre to a Level 1 Academy as soon as possible.

I think the training is going to be pretty standard according to which level you are at. City do the day release act as well. The real problem will be the clubs with a higher level coming in and taking the most talented players. The Southampton set up at Bath will be under the umbrella of Level 1 but not a stand alone acadamy, the real one is in Southampton.

Mate, you are so wrong it is untrue.

My Grandson is one from "round here" who is at Cardiff City unfortunately. He is an U11 and so far this season he has played 7 v 7, 8 v 8 and 9 v 9 in "proper" matches. But they have also played plenty of 5-a-side Futsal as well which is supposed to be the best thing young lads can play to improve technique. The goals they play in are age appropriate and the pitch sizes are appropriate to the number of players playing. They play loads of SSG's in training too and do Day Release from school once per week where TWO HOURS of that day is devoted entirely to INDIVIDUAL SKILLS and nothing else.

To answer the original point Jordan Tansley should contact City's Academy direct and arrange for them to have a look at the player concerned. As others have said you can play for who you like up to the U9 age group but if he is that good and City don't get hold of him then Cardiff or Southampton will. Getting relegated is not going to help our Academy recruitment either especially given the fact that Southampton are targeting the conversion of the Bath Development Centre to a Level 1 Academy as soon as possible.

That Southampton in bath is a crafty way to get around the I think it's 2 hour travel limit they can travel to an academy. My boys team had 2 join them end of last season one this season and one lined up for end of the season.

Since the new elite player performance plan ( eppp) came in at the start of this season there is no travel time limit.

I think the training is going to be pretty standard according to which level you are at. City do the day release act as well. The real problem will be the clubs with a higher level coming in and taking the most talented players. The Southampton set up at Bath will be under the umbrella of Level 1 but not a stand alone acadamy, the real one is in Southampton.

I agree about the training being standard to a degree at Academy level. My post was not knocking City's Academy training and City were at one of the 5-a-side Futsal tournaments my Grandson played in. And I also agree that the real problem moving forwards for our Academy will be RECRUITMENT. How do you persuade parents with no ties to the club to send their kids to a League 1 outfit when Southampton especially and potentially Cardiff are sniffing around as Premiership clubs?

City have always been a bit hit and miss in the recruitment stakes anyway - my Grandson was spotted by both Cardiff and Rovers scouts with City never turning up at any game he played in for his club (which is based in North Somerset). And trust me when I say his mate who is also a City supporter from North Somerset playing for Cardiff is one of the best players in his age group in the country.

Cynic's point about the County FA's is not a million miles away unfortunately. A lot of County Games are about "winning" at the youngest age groups and I've watched County games myself where the football is atrocious in terms of producing proper players whereas Academies are teaching kids to be footballers first and "winners" slightly later.

In any event you find that most kids at Academies are naturally competitive anyway - it's just that the clubs are not putting pressure on them to win when they deliberately play them out of position to teach them more about the game and how to play in unfamiliar areas of the pitch (City do this just like Cardiff do from experience). It's unpopular with parents who are embarrassed when their son is having a less than perfect game but it's the parents who think they know better than the Academy Coaches that need educating in this country.

My observations would on academies would be. The training and standards at most academies including citys are great. For example city can play Chelsea and hold their own. Traveling is a big issue and i've seen so many boys fall by the wayside because they're traveling 2 hours to training. The kids should enjoy it; not many make it so enjoy it while it lasts. Finally as they get older it's about the pathway to being a professional and they have as good a chance doing that at a level 2 academy as a level 1.

... when they deliberately play them out of position to teach them more about the game and how to play in unfamiliar areas of the pitch (City do this just like Cardiff do from experience).

Not just the Academy coaches but the first team too, I think KG. Perhaps this explains why DMc played Stead on the LW, Skuse on the RW and Foster anywhere and everywhere? :D

Archived