IGNORED

Whats The Difference Between Swansea And City?

where's the joy

just one thing......decision making.

appointing a hapless, hopeless board. i wouldn't trust sexstone to run a bath, let alone a football club

appointing unintelligent managers like keith millen.

not taking a reference on steve coppell

sticking calamity james into our goal was an hilarious decision if comedy is your bag, but made basso look an outstanding goalkeeper, lost somehow through bad decision making.

sticking with mc innes past october was rank bad decision making

not keeping caulker and making him captain and the most expensive player in our history.......

i am furious that so many crass decisions have been made.......really angry........so then.....

compare with swansea

3 decisions

appoint martinez, then rogers, then laudrup...........and they have been playing other teams off the park for ages

why do we accept our imminent relegation when you compare the two clubs.........come on lansdown it is just not good enough

appointing a hapless, hopeless board. i wouldn't trust sexstone to run a bath, let alone a football club

sticking calamity james into our goal was an hilarious decision if comedy is your bag, but made basso look an outstanding goalkeeper, lost somehow through bad decision making.

not keeping caulker and making him captain and the most expensive player in our history.......

i am furious that so many crass decisions have been made.......really angry........so then.....

compare with swansea

3 decisions

appoint martinez, then rogers, then laudrup...........and they have been playing other teams off the park for ages

why do we accept our imminent relegation when you compare the two clubs.........come on lansdown it is just not good enough

Rogers was not initially a popular decision, bearing in mind he barely lasted 6 months at Reading after a disastrous time there and bearing in mind Reading had shelled out 1mill for his services, so really that was a gamble for Swansea.

compare with swansea

3 decisions

So go and support Swansea then?

I'd like to know how much you understand about the workings of Swansea City. At a guess I'd say very little. The way you talk of 'decisions' is as if Swansea's success is down to luck on getting a couple of managerial decisions correct. City it contrast are not at their level because we didn't sign players like Caulker? You're wrong.

The key for Swansea's success, and locals are unanimous in agreement here is the leadership of Huw Jenkins: a visionary chairman who had a clear idea of the direction, style and manner that the club was going to be run along. As well as this the club has a relatively high % of fan ownership and input in important matters - with particular fan emphasis on financial accountability, after they had previously found themselves on the brink of financial ruin. Arguably this is why Swansea have for a long time been able to snatch gems - Ashley Williams for, what £400K? Leon Britton, Angel Rangel, Ferrie Bodde, De Vries, Monk, Trundle etc and now this ethos has continued now in finding top players at low prices. Out of neccesity they have implemented a strong emphasis on scouting and selling players on for a profit. A final piece of the jigsaw, is that the City Council, though not all the time, have not been a barrier to progress, and as is well known were key in discussions over moving the Swans from the Vetch to the Council owned Liberty.

Now what emerges from such clear and strong leadership is a clarity and sense of direction at a club. Even when Flynn and Jackett were managers there, Swansea were, though to a lesser degree than now obviously, playing attractive football with Trundle and Andy Robinson famed for their showboating. Rather than saying City's shortcomings being a result of decisions, our difficulties lie deeper than that. What is our strategy and our goals? How are we going to operate and present ourselves in an organistional and operational sense? Now, this has been mentioned elsewhere, but something at the core of the club is rotten. Coppell mentioned something along the lines of perculiarities of the club culture, and correct me if I'm wrong, but SOD has said something that it has taken him time to get used to it here. We lack a clear vision of what we stand for? Where is the leadership. Look around us in the Championship. Clubs that are on the up generally are strong from the boardroom down. This is what ultimately cumulates into bad decisions.

sorry chief, not got the attention span to read through all that, but got the gist.

Always think of clubs like Swansea, who obviously have a basic philosophy in place an attract and recruit within that remit. Think Southampton is in youth, although they've had their dark times but Norwich is a total mystery.

Think City's approach is to put whatever stake they can afford on whatever seems right at the time and hope for the best. This club's problem is the boards inability to conjure up that specific blend of herbs and spices or have a clarified, inspired ideal.

If I were in charge I'd be nosing in on the likes of Swansea, Reading, Norwich, Southampton and establish the magic formula.

City just role them dice ..........

I'd like to know how much you understand about the workings of Swansea City. At a guess I'd say very little. The way you talk of 'decisions' is as if Swansea's success is down to luck on getting a couple of managerial decisions correct. City it contrast are not at their level because we didn't sign players like Caulker? You're wrong.

The key for Swansea's success, and locals are unanimous in agreement here is the leadership of Huw Jenkins: a visionary chairman who had a clear idea of the direction, style and manner that the club was going to be run along. As well as this the club has a relatively high % of fan ownership and input in important matters - with particular fan emphasis on financial accountability, after they had previously found themselves on the brink of financial ruin. Arguably this is why Swansea have for a long time been able to snatch gems - Ashley Williams for, what £400K? Leon Britton, Angel Rangel, Ferrie Bodde, De Vries, Monk, Trundle etc and now this ethos has continued now in finding top players at low prices. Out of neccesity they have implemented a strong emphasis on scouting and selling players on for a profit. A final piece of the jigsaw, is that the City Council, though not all the time, have not been a barrier to progress, and as is well known were key in discussions over moving the Swans from the Vetch to the Council owned Liberty.

Now what emerges from such clear and strong leadership is a clarity and sense of direction at a club. Even when Flynn and Jackett were managers there, Swansea were, though to a lesser degree than now obviously, playing attractive football with Trundle and Andy Robinson famed for their showboating. Rather than saying City's shortcomings being a result of decisions, our difficulties lie deeper than that. What is our strategy and our goals? How are we going to operate and present ourselves in an organistional and operational sense? Now, this has been mentioned elsewhere, but something at the core of the club is rotten. Coppell mentioned something along the lines of perculiarities of the club culture, and correct me if I'm wrong, but SOD has said something that it has taken him time to get used to it here. We lack a clear vision of what we stand for? Where is the leadership. Look around us in the Championship. Clubs that are on the up generally are strong from the boardroom down. This is what ultimately cumulates into bad decisions.

Interesting insight.

Gives reason to think...?

appointing unintelligent managers like keith millen. - He obviously wasn't that unintelligent - god knows how many managers kept him as their right hand man; he must have learned an awful lot working with the likes of Wilson and Johnson.

not taking a reference on steve coppell - How do you know this? I'm sure if Reading FC were to give a reference about him, it would be nothing but singing his praises.

sticking calamity james into our goal was an hilarious decision if comedy is your bag, but made basso look an outstanding goalkeeper, lost somehow through bad decision making. - As pointed out, Basso was a fantastic goalkeeper; and, when we signed James, he wasn't a bad keeper - he didn't go from being England's number one over night, to being a complete and utter calamity in a day

sticking with mc innes past october was rank bad decision making - Hindsight is a wonderful thing

not keeping caulker and making him captain and the most expensive player in our history....... - And this, well this is just an extremely odd point - he's already a fully fledged England international, no way would we ever have been able to keep him. That's like Preston fans questioning why they didn't sign David Beckham when he went on loan to them all those years ago...

In the dark days near the foot of the 4th division Swansea had the foresight to build from the bottom up and put in place a sustainable structure. Subsequently, as success has come their way they have firmly stuck to their principles in all their recruitment and investment decisions. Changes of manager at Swansea have happened without the usual revolution, change of direction, he needs his own players contract buy-outs and all the other nonsense that typically punctuates and prevents progress elsewhere.

As a consequence they are now rightly hailed as a model for all middle-sized clubs to emulate.

Of course it may just be wishful thinking (but this is not something I am often guilty of) but I think at last Bristol City have something similar in mind. The challenge will be sticking to it when/if alternatives seem preferable. Unlike Swansea we are not at the bottom of division 4 and our supporters do not feel the threat of extinction. If we were and if we did, we might be more tolerant of steady progress and less demanding of the owner's cheque book.

A final piece of the jigsaw, is that the City Council, though not all the time, have not been a barrier to progress, and as is well known were key in discussions over moving the Swans from the Vetch to the Council owned Liberty.

Swansea are a one city club, so will tend to have a more supportive council.

Cities split between clubs like ours isn't going to have a wholly supportive council, then add that to the incapable, inefficient and terribly poor council we have in Bristol.

Some of us have been banging on for years about needing to build properly, and invest in youth rather than signing endless journeymen. Sadly, times were good, so we were in a minority, and even now, some think that chucking money at a few players will solve our problems. Better scouting and using Academy players is the way forward, and patience to give the manager time to build. Maybe now some will realise that losing £5m+ and signing older players is not sustainable. As for signing James when we had a very promising keeper in Henderson....... Just sums up our short-sightedness.

Some of us have been banging on for years about needing to build properly, and invest in youth rather than signing endless journeymen. Sadly, times were good, so we were in a minority, and even now, some think that chucking money at a few players will solve our problems. Better scouting and using Academy players is the way forward, and patience to give the manager time to build. Maybe now some will realise that losing £5m+ and signing older players is not sustainable. As for signing James when we had a very promising keeper in Henderson....... Just sums up our short-sightedness.

Landsdown said at wolves Q&A that he signed david James himself to give the club the "beckham" effect. Lets start pointing the finger at our incompetent owner as he seems to be the cancer at the club.

Cities split between clubs like ours isn't going to have a wholly supportive council, then add that to the incapable, inefficient and terribly poor council we have in Bristol.

I agree with that, and I did highlight the council point purposely because of the issues City have had regarding the ground compared to Swansea. Still, I feel the foundations for their success were laid prior to their move, and it was perhaps more a catalysing effect in their story in that it made more families go compared to the Vetch. Also interestingly I think their willingness to operate with the Ospreys did make the council more open to the club (rugby clubs do seem to have a better rep for some reasons). So perhaps the creation of Bristol Sport combining Bristol with us may help improve council relations etc.

One has made decisions and got lucky, the other hasn't. Call that a very simplistic view but IMO there isn't a huge deal more to it. Coppell was for me the huge turning point of the last 5 years even more so then Wembley and it could have worked, so could have players like David James and even god forbid Nicky Hunt who came here with a very good pedigree.

Footballs a funny old game. Brendan Rogers could have been a HUGE flop for the Swans as said but for what ever reason he wasn't and they kicked on. Fair shout to them, but please lets not get too bogged down in it all. I blame where we are rightly with the Board but in all fairness at the time many of the decisions were made we were all creaming ourself's about them and 90% of this forum would have done the same as the board.

Hey ho if its off to League one we go then so be it, memories are very short in Football and time moves very quickly so dont rule out being in the same league as Swansea sometime soon.

Correct. Infact all the clubs we aspire to are 1 team Cities.

Swansea

Southampton

Norwich

Reading

I think this makes a huge difference, council backing, sponsorship, support.. its so much easier with 1 club.

Think about Nottingham, Sheffield & Birmingham.. none of these cities are setting the world alight are they?

Correct. Infact all the clubs we aspire to are 1 team Cities.

Swansea

Southampton

Norwich

Reading

I think this makes a huge difference, council backing, sponsorship, support.. its so much easier with 1 club.

Think about Nottingham, Sheffield & Birmingham.. none of these cities are setting the world alight are they?

Let's be honest, We're practically a one team city ;)

You forgot BCFC bankrolling Swansea with the ridiculous fee paid for Trundle when he was way past his best. Must have helped them a bit as they laughed all the way to..............

compare with swansea

3 decisions

Archived