IGNORED

Fair Play Award...

BUTOR

We're so far on course to receive the fair play award for the npower Championship, not exactly the type of award our club will want to be collecting at the end of a season when our players have been accused of a lack of fight and effort.

So does this sum up our players lack of fight, and their hesitation to go into a tackle?

Or is picking up no red cards throughout the season we should somehow be proud of?

So far we have collected: 43 yellows and 0 reds, and conceded 344 fouls.

One of our biggest downfalls - backing of the player, backing off, backing off, backing off - oooh in the penalty box, can't touch him now anyway...... was sad to see this for most of the season. If you can marshal players wide, and prevent them from shooting/passing into danger zones by staying goal side of them fine... but we can't/couldn't it properly, so we effectively just let players run/stroll into our box - seeing midfield players run the whole length of the pitch and score/asist against us without a player even attempting to tackle was painful viewing.

I've been saying it for months that for a team to be where we are in the league, yet have our disciplinary record is frankly embarassing. Then again, this is the same team that let Doyle wander the length of the pitch to score that goal against Wolves at home, so nothing should surprise me.

It may not be big or clever and I may be immature for wanting to see it, but I would feel a bit better if one of our players lashed out at the opposition when we are being soundly beaten every week. As it is, we just accept it and seem to not mind being embarrassed every Saturday afternoon.

In the last three games we have seen any hope of a miraculous survival vanish and yet there doesn't seem to be any reaction from the players. As I said it ain't big or clever and I expect many will disagree with me, but I could rest slightly more assured if the realisation of relegation had got too much for one of our players and he had seen red for kicking/punching/headbutting an oppostion player. As it is we just seem to tamely accept it.

Archived