IGNORED

Entertainment?

Red Exile

Hi all. Great community on here. I've not posted in a long time for a couple of reasons. First, I've not been to many games - none at all this season...and second, related, my brother Martyn Hocking died and as he was my companion at most matches it really didn't seem the same without him. I'm sure that Forum members who've lost parents or mates will know what I mean. I and Martyn's close family were very grateful to everyone who posted warm messages when he died and I made sure that they were noted at his funeral.

But moving on...if I were to get down the Gate again something would have to change - it would have to be entertaining.

Over a year ago now a number of us were discussing season ticket renewal. I posted this...and I don't think anything has changed.

"The bottom line is that Bristol City is in the entertainment business...something which seems to have been forgotten at Ashton Gate. For all the emails and phone calls I have received there's nothing happening at the club which suggests that the club is doing more than marking time. What's on offer is a seat in a clapped out stadium watching a struggling and characterless group of not particularly talented men...cheerlessly doing something which they are very lucky to be paid a fortune to do.

Unless you live around the corner and walk to matches the time and effort spent attending is considerable. In recent years my family has spent - cumulatively - weeks doing nothing but travelling to watch City. We spent thousands every year. When that ceases to be entertaining you have to question the point of it all. Which we did."

The thing that most bothers me about the current set up is that any notion of entertainment seems to have gone out of the window.

Think what you like about GJ he was a showman and got people going. SL fed off that and stepped onto the public stage at times.

Does anyone see that in the current set up? Where will the entertainment come from? What will get people to buy STs this time around?

Archived