IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Appreciation Thread

fka dagest

Who else I wonder with the glint of a tear in their eye can forget the SL farewell game from a couple of seasons ago? We all celebrated everything Steve. He stood up, lapped up the praise from the adoring fans and buggered off to Guernsey to avoid paying at the 50% tax rate. A great day I'm sure you'll agree.

Now that under his tenure we have all but been relegated to League One can we have a return day where we get to pelt him with rotten fruit or something?

It does sadden me to see threads attacking Lansdown. For sure mistakes have been made, but I firmly believe all Lansdown's decisions have been made because he has BCFC at his heart. Also most of the decisions he is later criticised for, the majority of fans if put in his position with the knowledge and information he had available at the time would have made the same decisions - the majority were delighted when Coppell was made manager, when James was signed, was Del was given the nod ahead of Robins and who of us could have predicted that some looney left wing inspector would rule the ex-rubbish dump at AV to be a VG. So it's must unfair to criticise Lansdown for getting those things 'wrong' when it's only with the benefit of hindsight.

For me since returning to the championship only the decision to appoint Millen on a perm basis after Copout walked and the still bewilderingly crass handling of the Maynard transfer saga are decisions where Lansdown was out-of-touch and deserving of stick.

If he is gulity of anything it's probably allowing his heart to rule his head when it comes to BCFC.

It does sadden me to see threads attacking Lansdown. For sure mistakes have been made, but I firmly believe all Lansdown's decisions have been made because he has BCFC at his heart. Also most of the decisions he is later criticised for, the majority of fans if put in his position with the knowledge and information he had available at the time would have made the same decisions - the majority were delighted when Coppell was made manager, when James was signed, was Del was given the nod ahead of Robins and who of us could have predicted that some looney left wing inspector would rule the ex-rubbish dump at AV to be a VG. So it's must unfair to criticise Lansdown for getting those things 'wrong' when it's only with the benefit of hindsight.

For me since returning to the championship only the decision to appoint Millen on a perm basis after Copout walked and the still bewilderingly crass handling of the Maynard transfer saga are decisions where Lansdown was out-of-touch and deserving of stick.

If he is gulity of anything it's probably allowing his heart to rule his head when it comes to BCFC.

Spot on post!

There should be a statue of him outside the ground (wherever we play) because he has done more for Bristol City than anyone !

Can't argue with this. Look where we were when he took over. I'd build two. Or one very light one so we can ensure that it's transportable.

There should be a statue of him outside the ground (wherever we play) because he has done more for Bristol City than anyone !

Not only a statue, but complete with attendant priests and a cult object (any ideas?). I see crowds of wailing believers and miracles.

Archived