IGNORED

Paddy Madden

Barrs Court Red

Yeah, there is something of an Andy Smith vibe about him, in so much scored loads for Bohemians iirc done faff all at Carlisle, finding his feet at Yeovil. but isnt anything to suggest that he can carry it on, yet

Marlon Pack is another player often mentioned on here but surely the lack of REAL interest from other clubs tells a story. If they wanted him they would have him by now - they would only have had to offer Cheltenham the right money. I've seen him play live a few times and whilst a good player he's not a "stand out" to me. Perhaps he'd do a job in League 1 but I don't see him as Championship standard. All about opinions though and I'm sure there are others out there of a similar ilk that could do the job for us.

What I will say is that player recruitment is one area where the club have been shocking. A bloke who used to post on here under the name Bristol Boy used to bang on about carrying out "Due Diligence" on players and whilst it's more of a business than football term I know where he is coming from.

I can think of too many occasions where we have signed players who fall into the categories of crocked (or at least not 100% fighting fit to play 46 games), poor attitude, personal problems preventing performance, didn't fulfil the role we "thought" they played, didn't want to bring family down so was quickly unsettled and on one occasion we signed a foreign forward on the back of a goal against Aston Villa who had only recently moved to that position from Right Back.

It might upset fans wanting a quick fix but we must get player recruitment as close to spot on as it is practical to do, not rush in and panic buy a load of expensive, under performing, unfit for purpose trash.

Not that long ago I recall that we were rumoured to be looking at Grant Holt when he was at Forest. All the football experts on here rubbished him and were very pleased when nothing came of it.

Similarly when Lambert was at Rovers, "we don't need fatty here" was a repetitive theme in posts on here.

Lucky for us that neither move came off as we have gone on to bigger and better things while their careers have gone backwards!

I believe Grant Holt tu

Not that long ago I recall that we were rumoured to be looking at Grant Holt when he was at Forest. All the football experts on here rubbished him and were very pleased when nothing came of it.

Similarly when Lambert was at Rovers, "we don't need fatty here" was a repetitive theme in posts on here.

Lucky for us that neither move came off as we have gone on to bigger and better things while their careers have gone backwards!

Didn't Holt turn us down and end up going to shrewsbury town?

In addition with the likelyhood that if we go down both Baldock and Davies could go, Madden would be perfect. At that level he has shown what he can do. (Or we could get Pitman back ;) )

I think grant holt was interested but because his wife was expecting a baby any day at the time, he felt it wasn't a good idea to move, so he stayed at forest for the rest of the season. But yeah, went to Shrewsbury the next summer and I remember saying we 'dodged a bullet there'. Hmm

What I will say is that player recruitment is one area where the club have been shocking. A bloke who used to post on here under the name Bristol Boy used to bang on about carrying out "Due Diligence" on players and whilst it's more of a business than football term I know where he is coming from.

I can think of too many occasions where we have signed players who fall into the categories of crocked (or at least not 100% fighting fit to play 46 games), poor attitude, personal problems preventing performance, didn't fulfil the role we "thought" they played, didn't want to bring family down so was quickly unsettled and on one occasion we signed a foreign forward on the back of a goal against Aston Villa who had only recently moved to that position from Right Back.

It might upset fans wanting a quick fix but we must get player recruitment as close to spot on as it is practical to do, not rush in and panic buy a load of expensive, under performing, unfit for purpose trash.

Wasn't there a statement a while back that we were building a database of young players so when we needed one in a certain position we would already know all about potential players we could bring in rather than saying "we need a right back, OK, let's see if there are any out there" i.e. being proactive instead of reactive?

Was that under this regime or the previous one?

Wasn't there a statement a while back that we were building a database of young players so when we needed one in a certain position we would already know all about potential players we could bring in rather than saying "we need a right back, OK, let's see if there are any out there" i.e. being proactive instead of reactive?

Was that under this regime or the previous one?

I think this was a John Lansdown statement. As long as the database is maintained continuously it seems like a great idea to me. It would also be nice to think that in the future when we need a player in a certain position we go to the Youth system IN OUR OWN CLUB and bring one in because we are producing good enough players. To be fair to John Lansdown it does seem to me that he is starting to run the club with a bit more of a forward thinking "plan" than the old man did. Perhaps he's a quick learner.

I think this was a John Lansdown statement. As long as the database is maintained continuously it seems like a great idea to me. It would also be nice to think that in the future when we need a player in a certain position we go to the Youth system IN OUR OWN CLUB and bring one in because we are producing good enough players. To be fair to John Lansdown it does seem to me that he is starting to run the club with a bit more of a forward thinking "plan" than the old man did. Perhaps he's a quick learner.

I think the database is maintained by this chap: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/peterpjsmith

Assume Keith Burt will be helping out too.

Got absolutely no doubt recruitment/scouting at the club is moving in the right direction. Just can't believe it was a shambles for so long.

I think the database is maintained by this chap: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/peterpjsmith

Assume Keith Burt will be helping out too.

Got absolutely no doubt recruitment/scouting at the club is moving in the right direction. Just can't believe it was a shambles for so long.

Agree with your last point.

We've been a Championship club for half a dozen years IN SPITE OF and not BECAUSE OF the way the club has been run at Management and Board level. But as long as ideas like this continue to be implemented at least we can look forward with more optimism. The only fly in the ointment is over-expectant supporters causing the Board to panic if/when the next season or two of potential struggle materialises (by struggle I reckon lower to upper mid table in League 1). The Board need to stay strong and stick with the plan.

Unless Baldock is off I don't think there is any reason we would need to sign him tbh even though he's the type of player I'd like to see here.

Surely Baldock isn't going to stay and go back to L1? Done sod all for us though, so wouldn't be a massive problem for me, but sure we wouldn't want to keep paying his current wages on a much smaller budget

As for Madden - who knows? Valid point about Pack being mentioned, but not picked up by a bigger club too. He was set for Swindle until PDC left I seem to remember, loan and then permanent deal come the summer

Definitely fits the mould for the players we should be looking at though, young, (presumably) talented etc etc

Not the same " football experts" that always told us that Wes Hoolihan was rubbish as well ;) when he was linked with us!

Surely Baldock isn't going to stay and go back to L1? Done sod all for us though, so wouldn't be a massive problem for me, but sure we wouldn't want to keep paying his current wages on a much smaller budget

As for Madden - who knows? Valid point about Pack being mentioned, but not picked up by a bigger club too. He was set for Swindle until PDC left I seem to remember, loan and then permanent deal come the summer

Definitely fits the mould for the players we should be looking at though, young, (presumably) talented etc etc

Who's going to buy him though Woodsy ? I keep hearing that he'll be off , but he's not had the sort of season that will make other teams at our current level , sit up and take notice (as you point out). Maybe a promoted club might take a punt?

With regard to wages , I'd imagine he (and any other player signed in the last 12 months) has a relegation wage written into his contract , so unless he pushes for a move , I can see him staying.

I agree with you that Baldock probably isn't going to want to go back to league 1 however he's not going to have a choice if nobody wants to sign him from the Championship and he's contracted to us. I also seriously doubt anyone is going to make us an offer for him we cant refuse in the summer. If he does want to leave the best thing he can do is prove he can still score goals in the first half of next season and hope someone comes in for him in January.

Who's going to buy him though Woodsy ? I keep hearing that he'll be off , but he's not had the sort of season that will make other teams at our current level , sit up and take notice (as you point out). Maybe a promoted club might take a punt?

With regard to wages , I'd imagine he (and any other player signed in the last 12 months) has a relegation wage written into his contract , so unless he pushes for a move , I can see him staying.

Not all our players have a wage reduction clause but as you say you'd imagine the more recently signed players, like Baldock, are amongst those that do.

Even then there's nothing to say just how much these reductions will be - you'd doubt for instance they take the wages down to anywhere near the level City are likely to be limited to offering new signings.

In the unlikely event that they do, then all those players affected would be taking massive cuts and would surely aim to move on.

Baldock is not proven at this level, and seems increasingly injury prone, so the problem may be would anyone want him, or would be stuck with him on reduced, but still very high wages, when the club would prefer to unload him?

Maybe we could buy him for £600,000, then stick him on the bench, or play him out wide for a couple of seasons until the goals dry up.

Then we could sell him back to Yeovil for £10,000. That sounds like a good business plan!!!

Not the same " football experts" that always told us that Wes Hoolihan was rubbish as well ;) when he was linked with us!

Wasn't Le Fondre at Rotheram(Reading) always talked about as not being good enough because no one else had taken a punt? Wish we had now.

I agree with you that Baldock probably isn't going to want to go back to league 1 however he's not going to have a choice if nobody wants to sign him from the Championship and he's contracted to us. I also seriously doubt anyone is going to make us an offer for him we cant refuse in the summer. If he does want to leave the best thing he can do is prove he can still score goals in the first half of next season and hope someone comes in for him in January.

January definitely the more likely option I suspect, and then if he has scored goals he'll be a massive miss! Swings and roundabouts I guess

Glyn - hopefully they've all got the wage reduction clause in their contracts, if they haven't then someone at the club wants shooting!

If we get relegated and they get promoted then this story really is a non-starter! Why would anybody who's playing week-in-week-out for a team that's just got promoted, drop down to the same division they'd just worked their way out of, to play for a team that's just been relegated! (Money, bigger club etc... but still!)

Wasn't Le Fondre at Rotheram(Reading) always talked about as not being good enough because no one else had taken a punt? Wish we had now.

I don;t think so, I think most wanted him here and couldn't understand why we went for taylor instead

Marlon Pack is another player often mentioned on here but surely the lack of REAL interest from other clubs tells a story. If they wanted him they would have him by now - they would only have had to offer Cheltenham the right money. I've seen him play live a few times and whilst a good player he's not a "stand out" to me. Perhaps he'd do a job in League 1 but I don't see him as Championship standard. All about opinions though and I'm sure there are others out there of a similar ilk that could do the job for us.

Ive watched Pack many times and he is without doubt a stand out performer in that division. speak to other L2 fans they will tell you the same. Voted in team of the year last season & a decent season this campaigne. He deserves a chance to step up. Only just 22 so plenty of time to improve is big strong can play & would cost peanuts -Just the type of player we should be going for! Ive also questioned why someone hasnt gone in for him thus far & my sources at Cheltenham tell me Pack & his misses want to stay local. As somebody else said he would of been at Swindon if Di Canio was still their. Personally i think Pack next to Kelly would make a cracking partnership next season.

As per Madden then hes got a far better touch than Baldock has but then i probably have as well :-).

I'm a season ticket holder in the Williams and at Yeovil Town so have watched Paddy Madden all season. He is only 22/23 years old and scored loads of goals in Ireland, went to Carlisle but wasn't played, a bit like the Brett Pitman situation at the gate. He runs all day as Yeovil defend from the front, he's quick, scores all types of goals and he knows where the goal is and falls into the category of a 'natural goal scorer'. I believe he has another year on his contract.

If Yeovil go up i think he will stay, if they don't he will be sold to a championship club. Yeovil paid £10,000 to Carlisle for him, 24 goals so far for that!

If the current top 3 in Division 1 gain promotion the following will be in the championship next season

Gary Johnson

Jamie McAllister

Gavin Williams

Joe Edwards

Brett Pitman

Jamie McCombe

Dave Cotterill

They would all be in my City team!

Archived