IGNORED

Wigan Athletic

glynriley

I've got no real problem with Wigan , but this is pathetic. (From the BBC)

1. 1400:
    FOOTBALL

Wigan Athletic have so far failed to sell at least 10,000 of their allocated tickets for Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Millwall. This has prompted the FA to take the unprecedented step of opening a zone for neutral fans. Both clubs were allocated just over 31,000 tickets for the game.

I've got no real problem with Wigan , but this is pathetic. (From the BBC)

• 1400:

FOOTBALL

Wigan Athletic have so far failed to sell at least 10,000 of their allocated tickets for Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Millwall. This has prompted the FA to take the unprecedented step of opening a zone for neutral fans. Both clubs were allocated just over 31,000 tickets for the game.

I honestly don't think there are many clubs in the entire football league who would fail to sell 10k tickets for an FA Cup Semi Final. It's not as if they are there every season either.

How many have Millwall sold?

It's a long way to go, expensive tickets, train etc

It's only Millwall, who they should be beating.

Therefore I blame none of them for saving their money for the Final, it's what I would do.

It's called supporting your team!

I had an email from the FA earlier about this, 30 quid a ticket in the neutral fan zone.. thats only 2 quid more than City will charge on Saturday!

If I was in or around London on saturday I would have gone. Not everyday you can get to see a FA cup semi.

Mind you does beg the question why they're even playing it at Wembley in the 1st place.

Therefore I blame none of them for saving their money for the Final, it's what I would do.

Poor excuse. If we played a semi final at newcastle we would easily still sell our allocation.

Who cares what level of support they have, they've done far better in the last decade than bigger places like Bristol and Hull.

Not disputing that , but FFS , I reckon Rochdale would sell 10K for an FA Cup semi final , or have their fans had their fill of success all of a sudden !!

Pathetic is not a club constanly punching above it's weight in the prem and heading for a cup semi final at Wembley, but having 10,000 tickets unsold.

Pathetic is Bristol City, a club constantly underachieving, with unfulfilled potential , that fails to get past the third round of the cup ( first next season) and is heading for the third division! :ranting:

It's called supporting your team!

I had an email from the FA earlier about this, 30 quid a ticket in the neutral fan zone.. thats only 2 quid more than City will charge on Saturday!

If I was in or around London on saturday I would have gone. Not everyday you can get to see a FA cup semi.

Mind you does beg the question why they're even playing it at Wembley in the 1st place.

£30 plus train, then more for the final. It's a recession!!

Poor excuse. If we played a semi final at newcastle we would easily still sell our allocation.

We wouldn't sell 31,000 for a semi against say MK Dons at Newcastle

They have an attendance of less than 20,000 and are in an area which is predominately a rugby league strong hold. Talk about little club come good! One Wigan season ticket holder I know said that the main reason people end up supporting them is because a season ticket is considerably cheaper than most other clubs in the north west so people go as they can afford it and want to watch football on a regular basis (are you listening City???).

Also according to the Beeb the Chelsea - Man City game isn't sold out either (Although expected to sell out later in the week).

As the Man City end is sold out I can only assume that the tickets available are in Chelski's end, Which considering the game is in London and tickets are probably around the cost of a game at Stamford Bridge anyway, I think is a poor show as well.

They have an attendance of less than 20,000 and are in an area which is predominately a rugby league strong hold. Talk about little club come good! One Wigan season ticket holder I know said that the main reason people end up supporting them is because a season ticket is considerably cheaper than most other clubs in the north west so people go as they can afford it and want to watch football on a regular basis (are you listening City???).

Also according to the Beeb the Chelsea - Man City game isn't sold out either (Although expected to sell out later in the week).

As the Man City end is sold out I can only assume that the tickets available are in Chelski's end, Which considering the game is in London and tickets are probably around the cost of a game at Stamford Bridge anyway, I think is a poor show as well.

I guess it just goes to show how little the FA Cup means to fans nowadays , shame really.

On the point of Chelsea not selling out , I can sort of understand as they have an away game in Europe on Thursday , but you would still expect them to sell out.

As others have said the semi final shouldn't be at Wembley - there must be almost NO football fans in favour of this.

As for Wigan 'only' selling 21,000, just goes to show they don't have as many part time day trippers as the likes of BCFC.

Having 20,000+ 'fans' who only turn up when City get to Wembley is nothing to be particularly proud of, and it's no discredit to a small town - in footballing terms - like Wigan that they don't.

Good luck to them, hope they smash Millwall.

I believe that Wigan have sold close to 20,000 tickets for the game, 'at least 10,000' was the figure quoted by the BBC in relation to their unsold tickets.

Considering that Wigan has a population of a little over 80,000 and is in close proximity to, amongst others, the two Manchester and Merseyside teams, I think that 20,000 is a fine effort. Some might say that they're hardly likely to get many non-native fans either...

One of my few away trips with City was some years ago when we played Wigan in the third/second division/league one and the place was practically empty, must have been 3-4,000 at the most. They've done bloody well for themselves and fair play to them.

As others have said, playing the semi-finals at Wembley is an absolute joke, but unsurprising given how much it cost the clueless FA to build...

I believe that Wigan have sold close to 20,000 tickets for the game, 'at least 10,000' was the figure quoted by the BBC in relation to their unsold tickets.

Considering that Wigan has a population of a little over 80,000 and is in close proximity to, amongst others, the two Manchester and Merseyside teams, I think that 20,000 is a fine effort. Some might say that they're hardly likely to get many non-native fans either...

One of my few away trips with City was some years ago when we played Wigan in the third/second division/league one and the place was practically empty, must have been 3-4,000 at the most. They've done bloody well for themselves and fair play to them.

As others have said, playing the semi-finals at Wembley is an absolute joke, but unsurprising given how much it cost the clueless FA to build...

Think you're right about tickets sold , looks like I mis-read it. :doh: 20K is fair enough and I hope Wigan go on to win the cup , as I like Martinez as a manager. Imagine Wigan and Swansea in Europe next year !

Think you're right about tickets sold , looks like I mis-read it. :doh: 20K is fair enough and I hope Wigan go on to win the cup , as I like Martinez as a manager. Imagine Wigan and Swansea in Europe next year !

Perhaps they've changed the wording as I was given the same impression as you from the headline before I read the article! That being said, getting an eighth of the town's population wouldn't be too shabby but for their (I think?) 20,000-odd average league attendance.

The only real black mark against Wigan is pretty much everytime Dave Whelan opens his mouth...

Perhaps they've changed the wording as I was given the same impression as you from the headline before I read the article! That being said, getting an eighth of the town's population wouldn't be too shabby but for their (I think?) 20,000-odd average league attendance.

The only real black mark against Wigan is pretty much everytime Dave Whelan opens his mouth...

Worth pointing out that of that average attendance 5-6 thousand (More when the Manchester and Merseyside clubs come to town) are away fans!

I guess it just goes to show how little the FA Cup means to fans nowadays , shame really.

On the point of Chelsea not selling out , I can sort of understand as they have an away game in Europe on Thursday , but you would still expect them to sell out.

It's not like Chelsea are going to take their Wembley allocation to Russia though is it. Poor if they don't sell out.

Wigan are a non-league football team playing in a Rugby town. The only reason they are where they are is because Dave Whelan jizzed his money away on the football club. When he croaks - so will they.

Wigan are a Premier League football club playing in a Rugby town.

Archived