IGNORED

Wage To Turnover Ratio - Guess Who Is Top?...

Uncle Albert

According to that table, we're the 10th biggest payer of wages (and only a couple hundred thousand off being about 14th). Add Portsmouth & Coventry to the mix as well, and we're likely to be down to 16th (as I said - give or take a few hundred thousand) That season we finished in 20th. So in actual fact, in terms of the wages paid, we weren't too far off where we should be.

The problem for us is the Income. Yes, we're paying out too much, but Ashton Gate does not bring in the additional revenue required to compete at that level. We're the only club in the division without a single Corporate Hospitality Box. In terms of Income, there are only 3 or 4 clubs who generate less cash than us.

Bear in mind about 8 or so clubs were still bagging parachute payments from the Prem, and you can suddenly see why we need to redevelop or move asap to get a stadium that actually generates cash. It's not necessarily all about the attendances and ticket prices (I think I read on our latest accounts that our Season Ticket income was only £2m, so even if we doubled the number of ST holders, you're still only talking £4m). The key to extra revenue is Corporate Hospitality (of which we have Zero), and use of the facility on a more regular basis.

EDIT : I've just seen the 2nd link posted by London Bristolian.

There were only 6 teams with Parachute Payments, but look at the green boxes - matchday income. We've got the 4th lowest, ahead of only Peterborough, Doncaster & Barnsley.

That's because we have Zero Corporate.

Can that be true? £2m divided by 12,000 only makes £166 per ST holder. Who's getting a cheapy here?!

As for the rest of your post Harry - eloquently argued and mighty sensible.

Can that be true? £2m divided by 12,000 only makes £166 per ST holder. Who's getting a cheapy here?!

As for the rest of your post Harry - eloquently argued and mighty sensible.

The season ticket revenue is net of VAT, and would also include half season tickets.

Add 20% VAT on top of the £166 and you're looking at closer to £200 as an average cost per supporter. Probably reasonable given the cost of an adult East End season ticket was £149, and the costs for senior citizens and under 21s was under £200 in all stands.

I assume turnover includes income from player sales.

No, it doesn't. See page 15 of the accounts (note on 'profit on disposal of players' contracts'). The £11.9 million of 'revenue' is shown on the P&L on page 9, and broken out by segment on page 17. The £1.6 million of profit on disposal on players' contracts is shown as a separate P&L caption on page 9; I imagine the vast majority of this £1.6 million of profit related to the sale of Maynard.

Our match day and commercial income is really low - no wonder SL was so keen on AV. Really hope we can sort this out somehow as if we get back into the Championship we don't want to be struggling for income / Wages under FFP as SL will not be able to carry us in the wages dept as he has in the past.

b969dde518b5660c670cb53b9f5647ac.png?136

That graph is turnover, not profit. Are player sales not counted as turnover unless they are profitable?

I've just had a look at Reading's most recent accounts. Their 'revenue' number (i.e. comparable with our £11.9 million) was £14.8 million, and the 'other' (shown in the chart above) represents Reading's £8.0 million of profit on disposal of players' registrations. Not sure why this chart only shows profit on disposal for Reading, if anything it's misleading, as they weren't the only club to make a profit on player movements - for example, we showed a profit on disposal of players' contracts of £1.6 million in our most recent accounts (would have been the profit on the Maynard sale).

That graph is turnover, not profit. Are player sales not counted as turnover unless they are profitable?

And to answer your question, in all clubs' accounts, player sales are not reported as turnover. Any profit or loss on player sales is reported in a separate caption of the profit and loss account ('profit on disposal of players' registrations), regardless of whether they're profitable or not. Therefore Reading's turnover on the chart above should be £14.8 million, to be fully comparable with our £11.9 million.

If it were accurate you'd think so. Not sure. There have been quite a few flaws in figures that guy has published before.

Did anybody else actually sell a player for noticeable money that season?

Archived