IGNORED

Gazza Names And Thanks

He thanked all those who paid for his rehab.

Lineker

Rooney

Gerrard

Wilshere

Lord Sugar

Chris Evans

...as well as others.

What I really liked was I don't remember one of the above people saying they helped. They helped not to boost their own image, but to help someone they were friends with, or idolised.

Good luck to Gazza, wouldn't want to see him end up like George Best or Alex Higgins.

While on the subject of Gazza, Tinman told a great story about him when they were apprentices at Newcastle, apparently Gazza took them on the p*ss around the roughest part of the toon which led to them being chased down the street by some big 'uns :)

No Joey Barton on the list or do we think he donated anonymously as a selfless act and didn't fancy the spotlight?

Saw him on the tele recently (possibly at the Manchester derby?) looking well which was good to see.

Heard a report recently stating that something like 20% of footballers end up bankrupt at some point in their lives/have a stint in prison etc - no need to thank me for the level of detail.

I would suggest that football needs to do more to look after the individual but then a significant % of supporters and indeed members of wider society also run into social and personal problems without the trimmings/trappings of fame and fortune.

He thanked all those who paid for his rehab.

Lineker

Rooney

Gerrard

Wilshere

Lord Sugar

Chris Evans

...as well as others.

What I really liked was I don't remember one of the above people saying they helped. They helped not to boost their own image, but to help someone they were friends with, or idolised.

Pretty sure all of the above said that they were helping him out. Only one I question is Piers Morgan (who isnt even mentioned about). I don't think they even ever met, think he was probably doing it for a bit of publicity.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4788798/Gazza-Aid-we-call-on-England-football-stars-to-help-save-Paul-Gascoigne.html

Was great to see Gazza in the stand for the Everton vs Spurs game at the weekend.

• Admin

On the Alan Carr show which is to be shown on C4 tonight he openly talks about how he would not rule out going on another drinking binge in the future.

Apaprently it is now three months since he last had an alcoholic drink, and he admits to missing a drink and could not say that he would never "Have a pint again"

Gazza admitted that his clinic in Arizona cost £7.5k a week!

The thing that surprised me, was that Manchester Utd also sent money to him, all money that was left over from his stay he has donated to charity, he also mentioned he had spent most of his fortune, including giving £1m to charity.

I often wonder if he had joined Man Utd instead of Spurs as was muted at the time, how playing under Fergie may have shaped his life differently, rather than being around the bright lights of London

On the Alan Carr show which is to be shown on C4 tonight he openly talks about how he would not rule out going on another drinking binge in the future.Apaprently it is now three months since he last had an alcoholic drink, and he admits to missing a drink and could not say that he would never "Have a pint again"Gazza admitted that his clinic in Arizona cost £7.5k a week!The thing that surprised me, was that Manchester Utd also sent money to him, all money that was left over from his stay he has donated to charity, he also mentioned he had spent most of his fortune, including giving £1m to charity.I often wonder if he had joined Man Utd instead of Spurs as was muted at the time, how playing under Fergie may have shaped his life differently, rather than being around the bright lights of London

Fergie said himself he would have kept Gazza in line but the Nevilles, Scholes and Giggs are no Gazza in terms of psyche.

The bright lights of Manchester are as shiny as the London ones in my experience, plus I bring to the courts attention the case of George Best. Billy Kenny is anther one to research if you want a North West casualty of the deadly sins. Not to mention the Man City lad who fell badly of the tracks.

It is testament to Gazza's ability he achieved what he did in Football given what he was getting up to.

I genuinely pity the bloke and really hopes he finds the right path for himself, as I do for all alcoholics.

Add Gary Mabbutt who also got a thank you.

It was an interesting interview. He said that in 11 years he'd only spent 14 months drinking. But that when he drinks he doesn't stop. The example he quoted was that he had a glass of wine then woke up in bed with two empty gin bottles and empty cans of beer into double figures.

IMO that shows the difference between the alcoholic and the binge or heavy drinker; it would take me a week to drink all of that.

Fergie said himself he would have kept Gazza in line but the Nevilles, Scholes and Giggs are no Gazza in terms of psyche.

The bright lights of Manchester are as shiny as the London ones in my experience, plus I bring to the courts attention the case of George Best. Billy Kenny is anther one to research if you want a North West casualty of the deadly sins. Not to mention the Man City lad who fell badly of the tracks.

It is testament to Gazza's ability he achieved what he did in Football given what he was getting up to.

I genuinely pity the bloke and really hopes he finds the right path for himself, as I do for all alcoholics.

Billy Kenny was always a superb buy on Championship Manager 93/94.

I had heard about his problems, I didn't realise quite how good he was though:

Rob Smyth of the Guardian placed Kenny at number one in a list of Football’s Lost Talents,[12] while Football365.com named Kenny in seventh place in their list of Football’s Wasted Talents.[3] In a 2009 article in the Guardian Kenny's short-lived career was described as "one of the biggest wastes of talent in modern times"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kenny_%28footballer_born_1973%29

Billy Kenny was always a superb buy on Championship Manager 93/94.

I had heard about his problems, I didn't realise quite how good he was though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kenny_(footballer_born_1973)

He makes some Evertonian's All Time II despite only playing 22 times or something, reminds me of Jackie!

Was always good in Champ Man with the old boxes set up. Had double figure ratings in every category and only cost a mill. Thing is, I never saw him featuring in real life and there was no Internet and I was only 12.

City played in purple and lime in that addition of CM.

Archived