IGNORED

How Big Is The Championship-League One Gap?

YGBjammy

What is the actual gap like in playing ability nowadays between champ and league 1? Just wondering realistically what our chances are next year of promotion or playoffs, how have other relegated teams fared?

in the case of southampton and norwich didn't both win promotion two seasons on the trot after being relegated to the third flight? see you in the prem :0

Not that huge. If we rebuild and pick up some momentum and that winning mentality like we did under GJ then the gap isn't that great.

Alot of players in the championship are signed from league one clubs

Not that great between top half of any league and the bottom half of the next one up in most levels of football these days. Champ to Prem probably an exception and also wherever in the pyramid you move from mainly part-time clubs to mainly full-time.

Just look how hard it was to get out last time,its a tough league and we will be a team that others raise there game against.

With the rebuild job that O'Driscoll has to do we will not be a 'team' until after about 10 games so we may well be playing catch up.

I would say the gap is fairly big.

We've been playing League 1 football most of this season and a lot of average Championship clubs have to be frank, embarrassed us.

I think it's also relevant to point out that since SOD came we've been the better side in our home games than just about all the opposition.

No reason to suppose that the ranges of ability correspond to the formal divisions. For example, there's an Inner Premiership of about six clubs who have their eyes on Europe, the mid-table teams who are safe but will never win anything, and a group that bounces up and down between the First and Second Divisions.

Are people forgetting that this season we got knocked out the cup by league two Gillingham??? Last season we were also knocked out by Swindon and Crawley and the season before Sheffield Wednesday when they were a league one team. I know cup games are a slightly different challenge but this proves that teams in leagues one and two can be very competitive and hard to beat. Look at Bradfords exploits this season. If you are organised and play to your strengths you can win games no matter who you are up against in whichever league you may be in. I don't expect us to be that competitive next season. I think we'd probably need a couple of seasons to compete.

I seriously believe we should do weel next season.I know ther will be abig change over of players but I believe O droscoll knows this league inside out and will already have gone along way towards securing who he will bring in when and not if we go down. It is not beyond reason for us to do a Brighton or Norwich and come back with a bit of momentum behind us and with the hope of anew / updated ground . we should fear nobody in that league!

The gap is negligible if the club has a vibrant academy and scouting policy - as Southampton Norwich and Swansea will testify.

In the last year we appear to be putting ours in order - hence the signings of Cunningham Baldock and Kelly as well as the buzz around the under 21 team.

Will be interesting to see if SOD will have the wherewithal to bring on a vibrant progressive squad. The players are obviously out there but what's worrying is the number of clubs (Southampton being one) who have entrenched themselves in our vicinity in order to cherry-pick the stand-out youngsters.

On a brighter note - we have managed to capture a few potential star players, who hopefully will be nurtured into a winning team / squad.

The top 6 isn't much difference in class to the championship, but the rest of the league has a massive gap.

Of the various opinions expressed so far, this comes closest to the reality in my opinion. There is probably not a great deal of difference between the top end of L1 and the bottom few sides in the Championship. So, to take a couple of examples more or less at randon from the present incumbents, I'd suggest that there currently wouldn't be much in it in the case of, say, Barnsley v Bournemouth or Doncaster v Peterborough.

The overall comparison, though, taking into account the remainder of L1 and the quality that can be found in the top half of the Championship, suggests to me that the majority of more ordinary teams from the lower league would get murdered at the higher level. This is why it has not been uncommon in recent seasons for relegated teams from the Championship to come back up within one or two years, including several clubs of relatively modest stature, like Peterborough and Donnie, as well as the more obvious candidates such as Southampton and Norwich, for whom demotion arguably turned out to be positively beneficial. (Not that I expect the latter to be the case with us.)

As for the references to the cup games over the last few years, it's a valid point, but in my view those results tell you more about the gutlessness of our players in the early rounds than they do about the quality of the teams they lost against. We all know those matches can be the proverbial bananna skin unless your attitude's spot-on. Like most of us on here, I saw some of those matches and in every case we were a bloody disgrace: just didn't didn't turn up, basically. There are many complex reasons why we're going down, but this is one of the main ones for me.

One of SOD's biggest challenges will not be simply finding new players to replace the ones we're about to lose or discard, but changing this lack of fighting spirit and culture of defeatism that hangs around the squad. As others have said ad infinitum, we desperately need leaders on the field. I'd settle for a nasty piece of work in the Sean Derry mold in midfield (to replace Marvin who is, sadly, a spent force, despite his efforts of late) and a big beast of a first ball winning centre half. I think any chance of our getting out of there in a hurry will rest more on those sorts of issues than on questions of pure footballing quality. I am content to put my faith longer term in SOD, who I believe to be a sound if unspectacular manager, but I am not expecting any miracles next season.

I have no doubt we will compete in Div 1 and be loitering, with intent, come May 2014.

How effective we are depends on if we keep some of the better players and who we supplement.

The standard is, as others have said, lower Champ = top 7 or 8 in Div 1 with a few surprises like a Yeovil or a team coming up from League 2.

I have no doubt we will compete in Div 1 and be loitering, with intent, come May 2014.

How effective we are depends on if we keep some of the better players and who we supplement.

The standard is, as others have said, lower Champ = top 7 or 8 in Div 1 with a few surprises like a Yeovil or a team coming up from League 2.

Loitering with intent. Camping or not will definitely be loitering.

Archived