IGNORED

For All Those Bashing O'Driscoll Already...

petehinton

Maloney aside this is Johnsons/coppels/millen/mcinnes's squad,

Sod Has had no scope to do anything due to whats gone on before him completely out of his control,

Thats why he needsa full pre-season and longer to reshape, until the 12 out of contract go there is nothing he can do,

People forget how lost the players were under McInnes, it was only going to get worse especially after the 4-0 loss v Liecester. As for form under SO'D, you can't seriously compare that to McInnes, the loss v Wolves destroyed morale, and Peterboro' and Wolves have pulled away from us, add to that the loss of Stead... And before people say "Yeah, but Del had Cunningham out injured... Blah blah blah, yes that's true, but Del (I think) played him too soon and he wasnt match sharp, he still doesn't seem to me to be quite the same player he was start of season when his confidence was high. Stead getting injured pretty much ruined our chances, cant rally blame SOD for that.

And look at the amount our goals conceded was reduced after Del went as well. Give SO'D time, he knows what he's doing, hes done the exact same thing at Donny from an even lower division, this time he has to clear out half the playing squad and rebuilt said squad ala Forest.

Maloney aside this is Johnsons/coppels/millen/mcinnes's squad,

Sod Has had no scope to do anything due to whats gone on before him completely out of his control,

Thats why he needsa full pre-season and longer to reshape, until the 12 out of contract go there is nothing he can do,

In any other industry, though, when a new manager is brought in, he rarely gets the freedom to employ completely new staff - he's expected to work with what he's got and improve things by developing attitude, application and working practices. And yes, I understand that SOD is trying to do just that - I just wish he worked a bit faster.

I don't think we would have gone down.

Playing as well as have done against Sheff Wed, Birmingham and Bolton would not normally yield 1 point. We were unlucky not to get 7 or 9. Over a season I think things would have turned around. I don't agree with everything SOD does or says, but overall I think he is a good manager and will sort things out for us long term. The performances at home have been much better and generally we look more organised.

However I do understand Lansdown for sticking with McInnes for so long as I'm getting fed up or managers getting sacked every few months without being given the time to sort things out. Not as easy a decision as some make out. We are looking for a bit of stability and I think he tried as long as he could to stick with McInnes.

What plans are we looking at on one hand we have JL saying promotion or bust next year, on the other we have SOD bamboozling and bewildering things by saying one thing and doing another. If there is some great plan, then every one is clearly and plainly not in synergy as to what is expected or what is occuring because none of the things add up. Fans have expressed concerns about what is going on as the actions dont match what is and what has been said since SOD has been appointed. Already jaded and bitterly disappointed some reassurance and a joined up way of thinking as well as confirmation of what this plan was actually rather than doing one thing and saying another, may help alleviate these fears.

It's a shame that some people seem to think that each new manager should be kowtowed to without question, because they know the way forward, when we havent had a 'way forward for years' and the disasters the others have precided over, are now being replicated again by the current incumbent in terms of blowing hot air and doing the opposite.

Make no bones about it people understand that things are for the long term, when you have JL and SOD preaching different things though. One very short termist, then you have a problem. As it's been ongoing for some time is it any wonder fans just choose to roll eyes or shake their heads in disbelief when fed the same old gubbins dressed up slightly differently when nothing is done in front of the scenes. It's not rocket science. We are doing this, this is how we how to achieve it. Be patient whilst it's a work in progress.. et voila

I think this is the problem with having an honest manager, he answers the questions put in front of him but at the same time there comes a point where a manager cannot say everything he would like because of the politics of football. In my eyes a manager should not have to announce all of his plans to the fans and anyone watching. Just because you or I do not fully understand his plans it doesn't mean they are any better or worse than say JW's. JW may have the luxury of saying what he wants and giving all the details of his long term plans but if SOD comes a long as says "we've invested millions into the youth so that we can develop better players for the near future" the first thing clubs like Southampton or other youth building clubs are going to do is start sifting through our youth looking to pry them away. Sometimes making your intentions clear can have a downside and maybe SOD is protecting his plans by being vague. He's already made it clear that he has a plan, why would he risk it to comfort a few fans?

Who is saying that? Only thing that comes across is the sometimes beyond reproach, SOD believers who refuse to entertain that anything could be wrong and have effectively buried their heads in the sand.. If things come great then. Woot, happy days. If they dont work out however then we are yet again left in a mess which is something that has yet to be addressed properly or even attempted to be solved. Those who implicitly trust SOD are also the ones who in general implicitly trusted everyone from GJ onwards and it;s got us the grand total of nowhere. There are ways and means of making amends and projecting plans without causing such a mess in the interim. If it had all been made clear what was happening, fans wouldnt be so divided nor would there be the amount of head scratching on going that there is.

I am not refusing to entertain anything is wrong, but I am saying it is far too early to make that judgement accurately. As many have said before, our fans judged Johnson after 9 games and said he should be gone, then he took us up and got us the closest to the Premiership that we've ever been.

For the record I was not one of the people who said to back Millen and McInnes I was unsure on and wanted to see what happened although it was early this season I was unconvinced and think he should have gone giving a new manager enough time to come in and do what needed to be done.

My reason for backing SOD is that he is a Championship manager, who inherited a massive mess that I don't think any manager could have put right in the time given. So I see it as we have a manager very capable of making teams play good football, who works with limited resources and wants to use our academy, why wouldn't I back him? SOD has a good record, a good reputation and is a hard working manager. More than anything I already see he sticks by his guns a lot more than McInnes or Millen every did and he looks much more interested in the future of the club than just getting a few results to boost his CV.

He did? Arent we still trying to sort out his legacy? Everything is relative. Ive maintained for some time we are following PNE's trajectory down, it's scary how identical it is, but we still seem to have learnt nothing in the interim. No one is afaik calling for SODs head, what they are saying is to show us what you can do, rather than hiding away. He either has a plan, or it's BS. At the moment it appears to be BS... Until that changes theire wont be 'faith'. He shouldnt just become a false idol. He has to earn the right to show us what he can do, and as a result be idolised. He however is not even fulfilling the basics currently. So what chance the rest when there is seemingly no agreement of what the plan is?

GJ did a great job, making out that the current team is his team is a joke. Yes there are a lot of players he signed but they are not his legacy, they are the result of three managers all not replacing them when they'd served a purpose. GJ knew at the time the players we still have were a good addition to the squad, once he left it was the new managers job to access them as their careeers continued and replace them when necessary as GJ most likely would have had he stayed.

We are not currently sorting out GJ's legacy, we're sorting out Millen, Coppell and McInness' shortcomings and bad decisions and the best bit is we're criticising SOD despite the fact he looks like being the first manager out of four managers to potentially replace them.

With regards to believing or putting "faith" in SOD there were many who put no faith in Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, GJ or numerous other managers, all because they couldn't see what they were trying to do. The typical response of a human being is to question things they do not understand and I honestly think that translates to football fans because they think they know it all and when a manager comes a long and does something they can't understand they instantly assume they're crazy or they've "lost it".

You also say he has to "earn the right to show us what he can do".... how can he do that if we get straight on his back and question his every move.... by ignoring us and just getting on with it? If so doesn't that contradict your wanting to know of what his plan is? How can a manager earn the right to show what he can do other than by being given the time to show people?! You're essentially saying that any manager we get should be criticised until they turn the club around! How is that supporting the manager in doing his job?

Sorry but I'll never understand the logic behind criticising a manager before he's had a real chance to do his job as SOD has not yet had. He's has 17 games with someone else's squad who went twenty eight games without conceeding and his second game in control we get our first clean sheet. In total we've had five clean sheets this season, that shows that in 17 games O'Dricsoll has got us a 29% clean sheet record under him whilst McInnes managed not a single competitive game with a clean sheet. If that isn't more organisation and a step up I don't know what is.

SOD has done better with McInnes team than McInnes did, give him a bloody chance to see what he can do with a team of his own and the same amount of time before you get on his back because ultimately whether he's the right man for the job or not he's not going anywhere soon and the negativity towards him before he's had a chance to do his job is only going to harm the club! He can walk away and get a better job, we can't walk away from the mess our previous three managers have left us in and SOD is the first manager who looks like he is determined to change the dire mess this club is in.

Who knows but one thing that is looking certain :

This season in 26 games under Derek McInnes we picked up 22 pts = an average of 0.846 points per game - so over a 46 game season = 38.9 pts which = definite relegation

The way things are going - by the end of the season we could see SoD managing for 20 games and achieving 18 pts at an average of 0.9 pts per game - an average over a 46 game season of 41.4 pts - again relegation

....so the stats say SoD no better than DM ! -

This was a point Ian Gaye was trying to make on the Radio Bristol phone in on Tuesday !

You don't have to be a mathematician to see both managers have had to work with some very poor players.

As soon as the team spirit effect from the GJ era wore off we have simply nose dived.

A sustainable playing formula is what's needed and being introduced... Then finding the right coach to fit the club is the only issue when changing managers, a la Swansea.

I personally think it doesn't matter, not his team, not his staff, not long enough to adapt to his training and tactics, wrong time to try new things (midseason in a relegation battle) and now a different league.

SOD's shouldn't be judged until next seasons end, and even then if we're not promoted so long as we're top half I think he should be given one more season. SOD needs a chance to really make an impact on this club, in League One we won't get a better manager so let's stick by him and see what he can do and question his ability in the Championship if he gets us back up there with his own mark on the club.

I personally think it doesn't matter, not his team, not his staff, not long enough to adapt to his training and tactics, wrong time to try new things (midseason in a relegation battle) and now a different league.

SOD's shouldn't be judged until next seasons end, and even then if we're not promoted so long as we're top half I think he should be given one more season. SOD needs a chance to really make an impact on this club, in League One we won't get a better manager so let's stick by him and see what he can do and question his ability in the Championship if he gets us back up there with his own mark on the club.

But is he still going to be there next season? Or will he have jumped ship, saying cant work with, and do, is that what his comment about being annoyed with powers that be for always look on the bright side being played, and other comments such as, should have been sorted 2 to3 years ago, headly going to endure him to the board, though probably true, should he have said? Place your bets, with City nothing surprises me anymore, and anything is possible

Only time will tell,

Archived