IGNORED

The Play-Off Final Was When It Started Going Pearshaped

City1970

Play off final. Bradley Orr gets injured and can no longer continue. Most managers would have switched Carey to right back and brought Vasko on at centre half. GJ decides that he'd rather take the best midfielder in the league that season, the all action Marvin Elliott, out of midfield, and bung him at right back. In comes little lightweight Lee Johnson into midfield and bang goes any hope of us getting back into the game. It's been down hill from that point.

If we are discussing the match, then the physio has to shoulder some of the blame.

Bradley Orr played on, although visibly shaken and with a fractured eye socket. This was after being examined and assessed by the said physio.

If I remember correctly, there was a chance to clear the attack before the cross for Windyass came over.

If Bradley was fit, or had correctly been substituted earlier, that fat **** would never have scored!

If we are discussing the match, then the physio has to shoulder some of the blame.

Bradley Orr played on, although visibly shaken and with a fractured eye socket. This was after being examined and assessed by the said physio.

If I remember correctly, there was a chance to clear the attack before the cross for Windyass came over.

If Bradley was fit, or had correctly been substituted earlier, that fat **** would never have scored!

+1

I think it it is both fashionable and correct to blame GJ. Had we never employed him in the first place, we would never of gained our fateful promotion to the Championship, and lost a play-off final. We would of clearly stayed in our comfort zone...........L1.

I feel so sorry for Yeovil..........can't understand what all they're fans are so happy about.

Personally i think Lansdown should seriously consider signing Danny Wilson again, that way we can guarantee ourselves another 30yrs in L1....without the heartache of promotion and play-off finals.....who needs em?

I think it it is both fashionable and correct to blame GJ. Had we never employed him in the first place, we would never of gained our fateful promotion to the Championship, and lost a play-off final. We would of clearly stayed in our comfort zone...........L1.

I feel so sorry for Yeovil..........can't understand what all they're fans are so happy about.

Personally i think Lansdown should seriously consider signing Danny Wilson again, that way we can guarantee ourselves another 30yrs in L1....without the heartache of promotion and play-off finals.....who needs em?

Danny Wilson gave us a play off final.

I feel moved to post;

Although we did ultimately fail to achieve promotion, Gary Johnson signed a striker in the January transfer window, Dele Adebola.

Although he performed very effectively over the next couple of seasons, we changed our tactics and never quite achieved the same level of results.

Had we signed a prolific goalscorer at this time, then yes, things would have been a lot different but you can't see a prolific goalscorer, what GJ saw was an experienced proffessional who brought a calm, unselfish nature to the team. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I wasn't overly impressed with the signing of Adebola but the reasons are understandable.

We clung on to the over-achievement too much following the play-off season, Johnson's biggest downfall was getting too emotionally attached to the players he'd brought in and succeeded for him, can he be blamed for that?

Taking the cheap option in Millen following the very ambitious appointment of Steve Coppell can be understood, once again, I was underwhelmed when I read the offical texts one after another but Millen had shown, in a 10 game unbeaten run at the end of the season, that he could deal with some of the pressures - unfortunately he never got the players to play with the freedom they showed in that spell again.

I could go on, but I think our problems lie with too much gambling, a thirst for a fast paced environment which has descended into a battle against the tide of a football club that never really levelled out when it reached the championship. SOD hasn't stopped the rot and I'm aware isn't everyone's favourite person at the club but I can see 5 years with O'Driscoll and we may only rise a dozen places in that time, but the direction we were (and arguably still are) headed in, could have seen us fall much faster than I think we will.

Archived