IGNORED

Radio Bristol Phone In Tonight

SecretSam

I think when he said 88% from contracted players, contracted players include ones that run up to the end of the season. All of their contracts would be halved. It would be ridiculous to suggest just 7 contracted players beyond the summer made up 88% of the wage budget. Baring this in mind, we will have no worries over wages and finances and we can effectively start from afresh

Have to say he may come across a bit droll in interviews but i hope that people listened tonight to hear how engaging he really is and he knows what to do and how to do it,loved the comments about what Carey had been told over the years, sounds obvious but clearly hasnt been put into pracise before!Really think that the next few seasons are gonna get better and better

Have to say he may come across a bit droll in interviews but i hope that people listened tonight to hear how engaging he really is and he knows what to do and how to do it,loved the comments about what Carey had been told over the years, sounds obvious but clearly hasnt been put into pracise before!Really think that the next few seasons are gonna get better and better

What had Carey been told?

In regards to young promising players like Cunningham, wes burns and Bryan should the later 2 prove there worth next season I expect to see them let go. It's the only way we can become sustainable as a club. The good news is that lansdown has the wealth to decide if we sell or not (obviously if there contract is running out hands are tied) so are under 21 league is going to be massive for us next season. If a player goes we need players who can step up and as sod described its an extension of the first team not an extension of youth football. This gets me warm and fuzzy especially if we start playing this new brand of football I've been desperate to see for many years!

I think when he said 88% from contracted players, contracted players include ones that run up to the end of the season. All of their contracts would be halved. It would be ridiculous to suggest just 7 contracted players beyond the summer made up 88% of the wage budget. Baring this in mind, we will have no worries over wages and finances and we can effectively start from afresh

7 ? We've got more than 7 contracted for next year , I make it

Adomah

Foster

Cunningham

Fontaine

Maloney

Kelly

Pearson

Kilkenny

Davies

Baldock

Taylor

Anderson

Reid

Bryan

Burns

Might have missed someone? If that's the group of players we are left with , and are accounting for 88% of the wage bill (which is what I thought he meant) we need to sell 3 or4 to raise some funds and free up some wages for incoming signings.

Anyone know a way I could listen to this one on an iPhone?? Bbc iplayer won't run on here and they only have a limited number of stations available on the app, nightmare!

Tunein radio for ipad/iPhone , type in Twentyman talks in search has last nights show, listened to it about an hour ago.

On SoD, how anyone can say he is boring has never listened to the man, one of the best Twentyman shows ever.

Twentyman mentioned that Carey was quoted as saying he had learned more in a week from SOD than he had in a year from other managers. And Twentyman then asked SOD "What didi you teach him? " (not really expecting a detailed answer)

But SOD said that he told Louis that he did't HAVE to win every header, and elaborated that he did need to win the balls he could win, but if he wasn't going to be first to the ball it was preferable to get into a better defensive position/shape rather than lose the header & be out of the game positionally.

Louis had said that every manager he had played for previously expected him to challenge for every ball in the air.

SOD went on to say that when he managed Donnie & they played Bristol City they noted that all our (then) back 4 "want to win every header" and they targeted that as something they could exploit.

It was interesting stuff

He has been told, by pretty much every manager before SoD by the sounds of it, that he has to win every header.

It just meant little things like, say Carey would try and win a header that wasn't in his favour and potentially leave the other centre half exposed. Or he would try and win a header that he wasn't favourite to win and give away a stupid free kick in a dangerous position.

SoD explained that, when in charge of Donny they analysed City before they played us one time. He said that our two centre halfs would try to win every ball and this was an area they felt they could get joy from because of this.

That was a part of the interview I loved to hear. Basically SoD wants his defenders to be more clever, read the game and only win things they can win. I honestly can't believe that not one manager has picked up on this whilst at the club!! It's the absolute basics and no wonder why we have been so bad defensively for a number of years if something that simple has not been addressed. I wouldn't expect defenders at the level I play at to do that!

It's also no coincidence that at home under SoD we have looked the most organised defensively I have seen us since being in the championship. It's also no surprise he has got that bit more out of the likes of Nyatanga.

SoD needs the time to make the changes. He is the man.

Exciting times ahead.

Adomah

Foster

Cunningham

Fontaine

Maloney

Kelly

Pearson

Kilkenny

Davies

Baldock

Taylor

Anderson

Reid

Bryan

Burns

Might have missed someone? If that's the group of players we are left with , and are accounting for 88% of the wage bill (which is what I thought he meant) we need to sell 3 or4 to raise some funds and free up some wages for incoming signings.

Also worth baring in mind the rule regarding anyone who signed a long term deal last season - I cant remember whether it is 3 or 4 year deals.

I don't believe their wages count at all towards FFP in the first year back in league 1 so selling anyone in that category to release wages would be counter productive.

Adomah

Foster

Cunningham

Fontaine

Maloney

Kelly

Pearson

Kilkenny

Davies

Baldock

Taylor

Anderson

Reid

Bryan

Burns

Based on these numbers each player accounts for about 6% of the wage budget, meaning at that level we can bring in a couple more before we are at 100%. That said if we lose a couple of more senior players we could potentially bring in 5 or 6.

Also worth baring in mind the rule regarding anyone who signed a long term deal last season - I cant remember whether it is 3 or 4 year deals.

I don't believe their wages count at all towards FFP in the first year back in league 1 so selling anyone in that category to release wages would be counter productive.

Think it is 4 years, meaning that Cunningham and Baldock's wages wouldn't count towards FFP, though any fee received for them could offset costs if we pay players to leave.

Two other points- James Wilson is definitely under contract for one more year so should be on the list.

Also, Marvin (although no-one seems to know when he signed a new deal) is said to still be under contract, too.

Adomah

Foster

Cunningham

Fontaine

Maloney

Kelly

Pearson

Kilkenny

Davies

Baldock

Taylor

Anderson

Reid

Bryan

Burns

Keep:

Wes Burns

Joe Bryan

Bobby Reid

Paul Anderson

Sam Baldock

Liam Kelly

Brendan Maloney

Greg Cunningham

Ryan Taylor

Sell:

Liam Fontaine

Albert Adomah

Steve Davies

Richard Foster

Neil Kilkenny

Stephen Pearson

Those on the sell list must be on a good wage so ship them out for a fee aswell if possible.

Based on these numbers each player accounts for about 6% of the wage budget, meaning at that level we can bring in a couple more before we are at 100%. That said if we lose a couple of more senior players we could potentially bring in 5 or 6.

We need to add at least 2 to that list as it doesn't include any keepers. Also the wages of the coaching staff have to be included in those figures (I presume) so there is already a bit of room to sign a couple.

However I would assume we wont want to get too close to 100% so that we have a bit of wiggle room to use the loan market in case of injuries?

I don't know , bastard confusing innit !

SO'D: "I wouldn't have sold Brett Pitman, no. He scores goals. I know he's laid-back and needs kick up the backside but he's a good player."

SO'D: "I had Brett Pitman as a young lad. I know the frustrations he would have caused but he's a goalscorer."

SO'D: "Sam Baldock would score a hatful of goals in League One. You might need a big one up there with him."

SO'D: "A few weeks ago I took the chance to go and see Real Madrid B to look at players possibly for our development squad."

Interesting comments. Good to see he wants to pair Sam with a big man as he's confident he'll score plenty. Very good how he's watching Real Madrid B which shows he's thinking from the very bottom.

Given that the anticipated SCMP budget is likely to be around £5M I was pleasantly surprised and relieved to hear that the loss of Stead, Skuse, Nyatanga, Heaton, Gerkin, Wilson, Wilson, Bates, Howard, Carey and possibly Elliott will be enough to bring us down to 88%. In fact I am sure this is assisted by the exclusion of one or two (Cunningham and Baldock?) from the calculations on the basis of a special provision for relegated clubs.

If we are able to reduce the player wage budget from £17M in 2011-12 to £5M in 2013-14 and lose only around 10-12 league places in the process (20th in the Championship to competitive in League 1) we will have done extremely well. We should not overlook the fact that as a bi-product this process will covert an annual loss of more than £14M to something close to break-even in the space of two seasons of pain. To achieve the same without relegation (if possible at all) would probably take the best part of a decade.

Yes I know SL suggested in his Hull interview that the wage budget for 2013-14 might be around £7M but that was based on maintaining the reported 2011-12 reported annual revenue of £11M+. Given that this figure included £2M of Sky money, almost all of which will be lost through relegation, a projection of £9M for next season is still optimistic.

As SO'D indicated last night, the financial situation is better than it might have been but we should not overlook that we are left with just 12 established first team players, no goalkeepers and only one central defender. £550K (11% of £5M) is not likely to be enough to address these weaknesses and hence we will need to sell to assemble a squad. For example the sale of AA for £2M would not only free up his wages but would also add £1.2M to the SCMP budget if we can strengthen without significant expenditure on transfer fees.

Whilst many will continue to advocate a more complete clear-out I think SO'D is right to say that our contracted players can provide the nucleus of a strong League 1 squad (many are established Championship players) and are unlikely to be readily replaced without expenditure on transfer fees. Such an approach would also put to waste SO'D's efforts until now in training.

SoD explained that, when in charge of Donny they analysed City before they played us one time. He said that our two centre halfs would try to win every ball and this was an area they felt they could get joy from because of this.

I remember Boom Boom winning a header up at Donny.................... :clapping: :clapping:

Anyone know a way I could listen to this one on an iPhone?? Bbc iplayer won't run on here and they only have a limited number of stations available on the app, nightmare!

Download the 'BBC iPlayer Radio' App. All local radio listing are on that and the GTTB show is listed under most popular for Radio Bristol.

I would suggest selling adomah for around 2mill, use the money to add new faces and part of adomah a wages go towards keeping Heaton on a longer contract. We need to keep Heaton as he is established himself in our team ad has an understanding with a number of our defenders. It's crucial to keep this together for next season as all our play will be started from the back. Keeping Heaton, Cunningham and Moloney will be key.

Keep:

Wes Burns

Joe Bryan

Bobby Reid

Paul Anderson

Sam Baldock

Liam Kelly

Brendan Maloney

Greg Cunningham

Ryan Taylor

Sell:

Liam Fontaine

Albert Adomah

Steve Davies

Richard Foster

Neil Kilkenny

Stephen Pearson

Those on the sell list must be on a good wage so ship them out for a fee aswell if possible.

Good plan but once again you seem to overlook the fact that a transfer requires a buyer as well as a seller. Clubs will buy players whose perceived value exceeds their wage demands and the transfer fee offered will reflect the scale by which their perceived value exceeds their wage demands. If the two are in balance there may be scope to let go on a free. Sadly we will no doubt once again find ourselves with one or two who we are contracted to pay more than anyone else thinks they are worth (although thankfully nothing as severe as Stewart (M), Trundle, JCR, Johnson, Hunt, Stewart (D) etc.).

Thankfully, in the light of the SCMP we are unlikely to see anyone rolling up in Bentley at 14:45 to take their seat in the Williams Stand every fortnight though - if they're fit and we're paying them they will have a job to do

Good plan but once again you seem to overlook the fact that a transfer requires a buyer as well as a seller. Clubs will buy players whose perceived value exceeds their wage demands and the transfer fee offered will reflect the scale by which their perceived value exceeds their wage demands. If the two are in balance there may be scope to let go on a free. Sadly we will no doubt once again find ourselves with one or two who we are contracted to pay more than anyone else thinks they are worth (although thankfully nothing as severe as Stewart (M), Trundle, JCR, Johnson, Hunt, Stewart (D) etc.).

Thankfully, in the light of the SCMP we are unlikely to see anyone rolling up in Bentley at 14:45 to take their seat in the Williams Stand every fortnight though - if they're fit and we're paying them they will have a job to do

People will make us offers for Adomah, Davies and Kilkenny I am sure.

People will make us offers for Adomah, Davies and Kilkenny I am sure.

I agree that some of your 6 "sells" will attract offers (obviously Albert for example) - others will not

My point really is that there may be harder to refuse offers for some of your "keeps"

Adomah

Foster

Cunningham

Fontaine

Maloney

Kelly

Pearson

Kilkenny

Davies

Baldock

Taylor

Anderson

Reid

Bryan

Burns

the only one you're missing is Wilson, he was given a long contract after 3 decent games, i think it was the board who gave it to him when we were in between managers at some point?

anyway, 88% on 16 players is a lot bearing in mind we need at least two GK, two CB bare minimum and that's if we use a lot of youngsters. therefore we really do need to get good money for Albert who will be going into his last year here anyway, we don't want another Maynard situation.

Archived