IGNORED

Give Carey A New Contract

allyolly

The fact is, Nyatanga will probably be going along with Bates this summer. In regards to the centre-back position, that leaves us with Fontaine - who has yet to show any signs of getting over this incredibly long period of bad form - and James Wilson who sadly hasn't lived up to the potential of his early career. Of course we'll be looking to bring in new defenders, but it will be an extremely busy summer on all fronts. It wouldn't be surprising if there's interest in Davies and Baldock, and alongside the imminent departure of Stead (unless the club pleasantly surprises us), that could leave us with just one striker in Ryan Taylor. Furthermore, Gerken and Heaton being out of contract may leave us with no keepers and it'll be a miracle if Albert stays. So ultimately it'll be a summer of huge upheaval, and any movement in the transfer market on our part will have to be strictly governed by the FFP guidelines.

Therefore, it most probably won't be as simple as saying 'We'll get rid of x amount of players and replace them with x'. For me, it makes complete sense to keep Louis. Not only do I thoroughly believe he is comfortably good enough to at least be a squad member for a L1 side, as a player he also epitomises Bristol City and will be someone we can rely upon on the pitch and as a dressing room figure to convey the importance of playing for the club - which will be even more important when we'll most probably be losing the handful of other players that do care about club in Heaton, Stead and Albert - and who we can always rely on to put in 100%.

All of that whilst reportedly being on a contract with minimal pay (at least in footballers' terms). I understand the people looking at next year as an opportunity to rebuild, but it's the likes of Kilkenny, Foster etc that we should be looking to out, not Louis.

He's played in less than half the games in each of the last 3 seasons.

It would be ridiculous to keep him on yet again - I'd hope the club are finally ready to accept this and move on, even if some fans apparently can't.

Exactly, he's like our version of Ledley King! Has served the club well in years gone by and is a club stalwart but we need to look for the next Louis now.

Too old now. I do think we have looked better with him in defence but it is time to look at some young uns. What about defensive coach?

No, no, no...someone who said he learned more under SO'D in one week (or whatever) than he learned under X City managers? Who didn't have the nouse to know when to go for the ball and when to leave it? No, not a coach. Not without badges.

Archived