IGNORED

Player Power

Simon79

I have put off starting this topic for quite a while as I didn't think it was to any benefit at the time, other than to add more negativity to an already difficult situation. But something that has annoyed me since GJ and certainly the last couple of seasons is the ability of players seemingly getting managers the sack and then turning it on for the new incoming manager for a short while,when they are not happy etc. It irritates me so much that the players hold that much power at our club in particular and other clubs in general. More to the point, it irritates me that we as fans seemingly play into their hands. By chanting against our manager at the time and calling for him to be sacked etc etc. The shining example for me is Manchester United, it's an obvious one but so true. There is only one person who would be going out the door, THE PLAYER! So everyone at that club knows who is in charge. So I was just looking for people's opinions on this, do people feel the same as me? If things get difficult at times next season( likely will do! ) will we back SOD and let the players know who we are backing? Or will we just revert to type? At some point the penny must drop surely?

I have said before that the game is run for the benefit of players these days. The vast sums of TV money have gone straight into thieir pockets to the extent that most clubs in the top 2 divisions have run up unsustainable debts to keep giving the players whatever they demand. QPR were the epitome of that folly in the PL and we are (or were) the QPR of the Championship. The PL has finally seen the light and even the odious Scudamore has praised the Bundesliga model - though corrupt and incompetent owners and the even more odious Gordon Taylor will make sure we never see that model here. What could be more ridiculous than the gifted palyers of Borussia Dortmund being paid considerably less than most QPR players?

Sadly, because suipporting a football club or football in general is an addiction, fans will grumble but continue to give their hard earned money to parasitic players. Unless fans start to turn their back on the game (either not attending matches or cancelling Sky packages) there will be little more than cosmetic change. Ferguson is one of the few managers who has real power, Most are at the mercy of players who will stab them in the back at the drop of a hat. I can see no reason why managers can be sacked for incompetence when players cannot. Instead, like bankers, they are richly rewarded for failure.

Or, in short, I agree with you! ;)

I have said before that the game is run for the benefit of players these days. The vast sums of TV money have gone straight into thieir pockets to the extent that most clubs in the top 2 divisions have run up unsustainable debts to keep giving the players whatever they demand. QPR were the epitome of that folly in the PL and we are (or were) the QPR of the Championship. The PL has finally seen the light and even the odious Scudamore has praised the Bundesliga model - though corrupt and incompetent owners and the even more odious Gordon Taylor will make sure we never see that model here. What could be more ridiculous than the gifted palyers of Borussia Dortmund being paid considerably less than most QPR players?

Sadly, because suipporting a football club or football in general is an addiction, fans will grumble but continue to give their hard earned money to parasitic players. Unless fans start to turn their back on the game (either not attending matches or cancelling Sky packages) there will be little more than cosmetic change. Ferguson is one of the few managers who has real power, Most are at the mercy of players who will stab them in the back at the drop of a hat. I can see no reason why managers can be sacked for incompetence when players cannot. Instead, like bankers, they are richly rewarded for failure.

Yeah I only read your last sentence; couldn't agree more.

I have put off starting this topic for quite a while as I didn't think it was to any benefit at the time, other than to add more negativity to an already difficult situation. But something that has annoyed me since GJ and certainly the last couple of seasons is the ability of players seemingly getting managers the sack and then turning it on for the new incoming manager for a short while,when they are not happy etc. It irritates me so much that the players hold that much power at our club in particular and other clubs in general. More to the point, it irritates me that we as fans seemingly play into their hands. By chanting against our manager at the time and calling for him to be sacked etc etc. The shining example for me is Manchester United, it's an obvious one but so true. There is only one person who would be going out the door, THE PLAYER! So everyone at that club knows who is in charge. So I was just looking for people's opinions on this, do people feel the same as me? If things get difficult at times next season( likely will do! ) will we back SOD and let the players know who we are backing? Or will we just revert to type? At some point the penny must drop surely?

Bang on!

It's become increasingly obvious that 'player power' is rife at BCFC. There appears be a general attitude among mercenary players that BCFC provides an easy ride to secure a lucrative contract and then come here and take it easy and do as little as they can possibly get away with. When the poor manager eventually gets the sack and a new one is appointed, they suddenly find some form and we all wonder at how bad the previous manager was, as he couldn't get this type of performance from them. Very soon they revert to form and the whole process begins again.

Managers change with a depressing regularity, and while we see a few players come and go, the one constant within this club is the ability of a number of the highly paid 'footballers' to go through the motions and take the piss out of all who really care about Bristol City Football Club.

I've personally had a gut full of it and the sooner the wasters get shown the door, the happier I'll be.

I agree, the manager is in charge! However, it's their responsability to stamp their authority down!

But that's my point. If the players can put in 50 % and get the manager the sack whenever they are unhappy or aggrieved at something and as fans we call for the managers head. How can a manager ever have any authority? Since the end of the GJ era, I honestly feel we have played into the players hands at times.

Great post.

It’s a hard one to judge, ultimately the manager is responsible and can pick and chose the players and there for is responsible for the performance and results.

If they don’t play well he “should” be the only one person to decide if they play next game, if he’s being told what to do he’s no better than the players who play for the club and is just drawing a wage, but if he disagreed he could end up being the best manager we never really had (if that makes sense).

I agree as a club we need stability to move forward, but In SOD’s case I like what he’s saying but can’t get my head round why he plays the same players it doesn’t make sense.

It’s a hard one to judge, ultimately the manager is responsible and can pick and chose the players and there for is responsible for the performance and results.

If they don’t play well he “should” be the only one person to decide if they play next game, if he’s being told what to do he’s no better than the players who play for the club and is just drawing a wage, but if he disagreed he could end up being the best manager we never really had (if that makes sense).

I agree as a club we need stability to move forward, but In SOD’s case I like what he’s saying but can’t get my head round why he plays the same players it doesn’t make sense.

I think that, since we've been doomed, he wants to put them on show for the market (yes, I know they're crap but someone might be daft enough to want them). Next season will be a very different kettle of fish.

I think that, since we've been doomed, he wants to put them on show for the market (yes, I know they're crap but someone might be daft enough to want them). Next season will be a very different kettle of fish.

I also think that SOD believed that the younger players that he sent out on loan would be better off in the long term away from the spotlight and pressure of a relegation fight. Hopefully coming back better for next season. What I most like about SOD, is that he really does have a long term plan for the club. For the betterment of the club and not solely for himself. Even talking about getting in good people/coaches that would be able to take over from him if that was deemed best for the club. I just hope us fans stick by him in difficult times(as there will be) and not hound him out of the club. Especially if its similar circumstances to recent times, with players evidently not putting in a shift!

I guess last night answers my question really. The only difference is that I don't believe the players are trying to get sod the sack. Its just not quite clicking in the consistent manner in which we need it, to progress up the league. we have have seen it in spells, but consistency on and off the pitch is what this club needs. It was always going to be a difficult season. Lots on this forum stated so, most from my memory talking about a mid table finish. So have many got short memories? Or have we just reverted to type?

Player power imo bacame a problem after the Bosman ruling. It was the first step to players demanding higher wages (as they could up and leave for free to pastures new) and effectively meant that there was no point of the last year of their contracts. Whereas before a club could leave a player to rot for as long as they liked if the player played up, this is no longer an option.

Don't get me wrong the Bosman ruling and European labour rules should be in football (they are... I think... Human beings after all), but with the amount of money flooding the game this was always going to be the outcome.

Archived