IGNORED

Does Anyone Know Where Donnie Gillies Is Now?

Equine Girl

I used to know Donnie Gillies in 1976, met on a holiday in Majorica with the whole team and was treated like a Bristol city mascot and was given tickets to watch them play and meet them afterwards in the bar! i would love to try and contact him, so if anyone has any news of where he is living now, please let me know.

Good to hear he is doing well. He gave me one the greatest moments of my football life when he scored the winner at Leeds.

It was the first football photograph ever to appear pn the front page of The Times.

He had a hat-trick of historic goals. Elland Road in the cup, the first top flight goal at AG for 65 years V Stoke, and my favourite, cos it extended our stay in Div One by 3 years, was the equaliser at Coventry to make it 2-2 in that famous game.

met donnie the other day, he works for A David and Co of Bishop Sutton.Meet him from time to time and real good guy, pity our current bunch couldnt be like him, used to know Anne, his wife who died of cancer and worked For Chris Crowe ( ex city) in his estate agent business in Red Lion Hill. Knowle

Good to hear he is doing well. He gave me one the greatest moments of my football life when he scored the winner at Leeds.

It was the first football photograph ever to appear pn the front page of The Times.

Thats an interesting one; where on earth did you dig that fact out from?

Thats an interesting one; where on earth did you dig that fact out from?

I would guess that, like me, he's old enough to remember It! Leeds were in their pomp, and the victory was BIG news - I remember going and buying all the national newspapers for my Uncle the day after the match.

I would guess that, like me, he's old enough to remember It! Leeds were in their pomp, and the victory was BIG news - I remember going and buying all the national newspapers for my Uncle the day after the match.

Spot on, sir!

My other great memories of the tie are:

1. Being congratulated through gritted teeth by a Leeds fan and answering "Yes, but it'll play hell with our relegation struggle".

2. Meeting several very drunk City players on the train back to Bristol.

3. In the next round's program, Bill Shankly apologising for talking on TV about "A great draw, Cup-winners against League champions"

Spot on, sir!

My other great memories of the tie are:

1. Being congratulated through gritted teeth by a Leeds fan and answering "Yes, but it'll play hell with our relegation struggle".

2. Meeting several very drunk City players on the train back to Bristol.

3. In the next round's program, Bill Shankly apologising for talking on TV about "A great draw, Cup-winners against League champions"

Bloody Hell, I didn't talk to any Leeds fans, me and my brother kept our heads down and didn't say a word until we were well away from the ground.

Every Leeds fan I saw looked like they could kill a City fan if they found one.

Remember a couple of coachoads of us going to Luton in early '73 when City won 3-1, Donnie scored an absolute screamer from out on the right, afterwards went in their supporters club, Donnie's brother (Steve?)was there enjoying himself.

As there were cameras at the game was hoping they'd show the goals on the

Big Match on the Sunday, alas they didn't.

There is (or used to be) a huge b&W photo under the Dolman of Gillies celebrating a goal, with jubilant fans in the East End in close up in the background

I would have been in the EE that day - anyone know who it was against?

Archived