IGNORED

Botswana

Bowie

Not sure where we are placed in picking up non eu nationals unless they play in 75% of international games for their country. in terms of the Botswana national side, I have no idea if all their players play in botswana or if many are already playing abroad.

Could be there is nothing there even to look at!

It looks like most of their players play in their country , and look who was once their manager !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botswana_national_football_team

It looks like most of their players play in their country , and look who was once their manager !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botswana_national_football_team

Looking at their football badge, a couple of zebras playing double bass and a guy/gal dancing, perhaps we could let the designer loose on a new robin design for our badge?

There is also three goalkeepers to pick from and 23 yr old forward Teboga Sembowa (2 in 5).

Fair enough then il take your word for it. I guess we will see what odriscoll thinks come july, im sure there are some players out there that are better than the current rabble though!

I expect we'll lose our games out there too ha.

• Admin

At the end of the day its somewhere different. Players will get fit. And we may unearth a couple of gems! Any reason to be negative for some people.

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just to get a scout to do their job and let them look at the local talent?

Looking at their football badge, a couple of zebras playing double bass and a guy/gal dancing, perhaps we could let the designer loose on a new robin design for our badge?

There is also three goalkeepers to pick from and 23 yr old forward Teboga Sembowa (2 in 5).

And a cracking away strip..or should that be stripe!

1) I could not care less wether Botswana was a rich or poor African nation - has nothing to do with it.

Anyone decent would be followed by better teams than us.

2) I am certain the "moaning" is the irrelevance to Bristol and the cost to the club

3) How about - at least one City player to take a sports class at every school within 5 miles of AG, once a week

Free clinics at Ashton Court, College Green, City Centre etc - weekly

Visits to large employers in the south of Bristol, extolling the benefits of cheap new season tickets for next year.

Q + A's at South Bristol pubs every week

Free coaching clinics at AG

Promoting entry to training sessions for the public

Attendance at Charity events, you know actually trying to connect with the people of Bristol so some might actually watch the games next year.

Going to Botswana will not achieve a single extra ticket sale next season.

What planet do the PR people at the club live on?

We are a south Bristol Football club and we should be saturating the area, every minute of every day to win back support for the club.

2p

While I don't disagree with much of what you've suggested, your objection seems to be as much to going on a pre-season tour to the destination itself. I personally feel that such tours are good for the squad and somewhere like Botswana is a relatively untapped resource in terms of forging ties/links. That said, it would undoubtedly be cheaper to go to Portugal for a week, but we're not the clubs accountants and not party to the expenses, so commenting on whether we can afford it or not is pure speculation. I don't suppose it's cheap to send 30 people to southern Europe during the holiday season either

Your suggestions are the kind of thing the club should be doing though, I just think fan engagement and player preparation are two entirely different subjects

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just to get a scout to do their job and let them look at the local talent?

This is what I don't understand from a lot of people on here, How do you know we aren't looking for local talent? Ian Rossiter Academy scout was at the Thornbury Town tournament this weekend with a list of young players he was looking at, Just because you don't hear about it often, or the club don't update us on where they're scouting it doesn't mean it's not happening!

Also the person saying about cutting wages,

How many times does a wage come out of a club?

Every month/week that the person is contracted to

How many times does a trip to Botswana come out the club? Once (Unless we go again)

Does this trip affect the FFP rules? No

Do people's wages at the club? Yes

Rant=Over

I think it's a great idea. If nothing else it gives a minority of people on here with delusions of self importance endless additional opportunites to bash the club and that's what supporting it is all about. I reckon it's such a bad decision you should tell us you won't be renewing your season ticket.............................again!!

I think it's a great idea. If nothing else it gives a minority of people on here with delusions of self importance endless additional opportunites to bash the club and that's what supporting it is all about. I reckon it's such a bad decision you should tell us you won't be renewing your season ticket.............................again!!

If it is all about supporting the club and being part of it going to Botswana is a poor idea.most of us can hardly afford it and would be hardly able to take the family. On another thread there is a mention of a local kids football club wants to visit visit the netherlands. Fans of bristol city already visit the club in question and vice versa. Would it not be better to play friendlies v willem ii royal Antwerp or one of the many other clubs in Belgium and the Netherlands??

If it is all about supporting the club and being part of it going to Botswana is a poor idea.most of us can hardly afford it and would be hardly able to take the family. On another thread there is a mention of a local kids football club wants to visit visit the netherlands. Fans of bristol city already visit the club in question and vice versa. Would it not be better to play friendlies v willem ii royal Antwerp or one of the many other clubs in Belgium and the Netherlands??

Not a bad idea that. Maybe have an annual triangular tournament and alternate the venues.

My view is that we are talking about a Professional Football Club here and the club has to do what it sees fit hopefully for the right reasons which should be FOOTBALLING reasons. Whilst it is great that fans with a few quid follow the team on pre-season tours we should not have a situation where the FANS DICTATE TO THE CLUB where they go on a pre-season tour. Or where the club feel the need to send out a multiple choice questionnaire to determine where they are ALLOWED to go in pre-season!!

I don't know what the facilities in Botswana are like and who is picking up the tab but if the footballing reasons for going on this tour are right then why shouldn't the club do it?

I am afraid that too many posts on here at the moment are criticising the club for anything and everything they do. Most people I speak to who don't use the interweb (and that is the majority of our fanbase by the way) aren't particularly happy with the club but they don't whinge like babies about everything it does either. If the club is upsetting a minority of people to the point where they cannot see ANYTHING right in it then maybe a break is the best bet and find some other interest that is more enjoyable.

My view is that we are talking about a Professional Football Club here and the club has to do what it sees fit hopefully for the right reasons which should be FOOTBALLING reasons. Whilst it is great that fans with a few quid follow the team on pre-season tours we should not have a situation where the FANS DICTATE TO THE CLUB where they go on a pre-season tour. Or where the club feel the need to send out a multiple choice questionnaire to determine where they are ALLOWED to go in pre-season!!

I don't know what the facilities in Botswana are like and who is picking up the tab but if the footballing reasons for going on this tour are right then why shouldn't the club do it?

I am afraid that too many posts on here at the moment are criticising the club for anything and everything they do. Most people I speak to who don't use the interweb (and that is the majority of our fanbase by the way) aren't particularly happy with the club but they don't whinge like babies about everything it does either. If the club is upsetting a minority of people to the point where they cannot see ANYTHING right in it then maybe a break is the best bet and find some other interest that is more enjoyable.

Because they've already said it isnt primarily for footballing reasons, perhaps?

Funnily enough I dont whinge like a baby that often when I discuss the club in person with people, but then this is a forum, for putting across our views, isnt it?

So maybe you should step back and take a break from the forum, until you understand what a forum is for.

Because they've already said it isnt primarily for footballing reasons, perhaps?

Funnily enough I dont whinge like a baby that often when I discuss the club in person with people, but then this is a forum, for putting across our views, isnt it?

So maybe you should step back and take a break from the forum, until you understand what a forum is for.

Thanks for enlightening me. I now understand what a forum is for. Can I continue posting my views now?

Most people I speak to and go to football to with never go on forums and think the club is out of touch. people on the board do not even support the club and it shows quite often. I think some good pints have been made. This Botswana thing is inaccessible to most if the club's fans it is hard to see how it will I crease support. So why is it better than a tour of the Netherlands/Belgium instance?? Could a tour which fans can reach easily be of more vengeful??? That isn't ranting and whining mate.

Most people I speak to and go to football to with never go on forums and think the club is out of touch. people on the board do not even support the club and it shows quite often. I think some good pints have been made. This Botswana thing is inaccessible to most if the club's fans it is hard to see how it will I crease support. So why is it better than a tour of the Netherlands/Belgium instance?? Could a tour which fans can reach easily be of more vengeful??? That isn't ranting and whining mate.

To be fair I think the idea you came up with regarding the Willem friendly or tour sounds like a good one. They are not too disimilar in standard in a country where you know the proper facilities exist and there is scope for off the field advancement too. I don't really know why they are going to Botswana either but my point is the destination for a pre-season tour should not be DICTATED by the supporters.

And there are a minority of supporters on here making this place pretty depressing to read by criticisng absolutely everything the club is doing. Perhaps they have got it wrong by going to Botswana but that is the decsion and we have to live with it.

Kieth Dawe

Jon Lansdown

Steve Lansdown

Formerily

Colin Sexton

All support this club

To be fair I think the idea you came up with regarding the Willem friendly or tour sounds like a good one. They are not too disimilar in standard in a country where you know the proper facilities exist and there is scope for off the field advancement too. I don't really know why they are going to Botswana either but my point is the destination for a pre-season tour should not be DICTATED by the supporters.

And there are a minority of supporters on here making this place pretty depressing to read by criticisng absolutely everything the club is doing. Perhaps they have got it wrong by going to Botswana but that is the decsion and we have to live with it.

At present mate the club themselves have been making noises about community and consulation and the five aims [??]. As far as i am concerned city is its fans. The club has players who cant be arsed to meet those who help pay their wages and the supporters club who sponsor their kit. A well thought out tour planned in well in advance could do a lot of good improving things between fans and club. I would love to take my son on a tour and i expect he will be an adult before it happens. Botswanna is out of the question.

Archived