IGNORED

Heaton Gone To Burnley

eric04

Good luck to him.

It was always obvious Heaton would be going, so why did SO'D release Gerken? Gerken would have been a great keeper for us in League 1. Now we have to start looking for a replacement. Madness.

maybe because a. Gerken isn't good enough and b. maybe gerken actually wanted to leave and made his intentions known to SoD

maybe because a. Gerken isn't good enough and b. maybe gerken actually wanted to leave and made his intentions known to SoD

Agree, I don't see why Gerken would be a great keeper in League One. He makes too many basic errors for me.

Think we should have kept hold of Gerken, probably better than someone we will bring in. Unless we use our current keepers as back up and #3 keeper we will need a new main keeper and new back up keeper (more than likely a youngster)

Only need 2 keepers 1 main and 1 youth. Emergency loan if needs be. I've mentioned this before, it's starting to sink in :).

We only have one keeper at present Dylan Castanheira (who I'd like to see playing all the JPT games next year)

That's your opinion though. I for 1 (and Hodge for 2 by the sound of it) would not be comfortable with going into games with a youth teamer on the bench every week.

Not to mention the lack of competition.

It's about cost and development

We can develop our youth and keep costs low by doing that, back in the day we had Phillips and at times either Kite as back up or Bannerman (Welsh u21 iirc) There is no fiscal reason to have 2 ft keepers plus youth.

We can develop in house and will benefit long term. Use emergency loans if needs be and keep costs down and potentially benefit from the development of youth meaning that we can replace in house rather than forever spending money buying in.

It's a no brainer.

Like I say , it's your opinion , and not one I share.

I hope the keeper we sign (if we only sign 1) doesn't rest on his laurels knowing he has no legitimate competition. For me , it's like knowing you want to play 4-4-2 and having only 2 strikers on your books.

Like I say , it's your opinion , and not one I share.

I hope the keeper we sign (if we only sign 1) doesn't rest on his laurels knowing he has no legitimate competition. For me , it's like knowing you want to play 4-4-2 and having only 2 strikers on your books.

See where you're coming from but how does a keeper rest on his laurels? By not diving for a shot? I can understand competition is necessary for outfielders, because they put that extra percent in. Don't really see how a keeper can put an extra percent in, he's either saving it or he's not. Never seen a keeper 'bottle' a save because he can't be bothered.

Personally, I suspect knowing you're number 1 puts the nerves at ease and allows you to get on with playing.

And with that you've effectively written off the youth player, giving him no chance whatsoever and in the same breath confirming how arse backwards this club is about things Bravo Glyn, Bravo.

Start thinking outside of the box and not within the conditioned cocoon that some have been accoustomed to . There is one position, we will have 2 people who can fill that position and can get a third if needs be. It's not rocket science

You really don't like it when people don't agree with your opinion do you ?!!

Not sure how I'm writing off the youth team player , more giving him a chance to develop at his own pace , rather than having him forced into action when he might not be ready.

We've got different opinions on something , it happens.

Only need 2 keepers 1 main and 1 youth. Emergency loan if needs be. I've mentioned this before, it's starting to sink in :).

We only have one keeper at present Dylan Castanheira (who I'd like to see playing all the JPT games next year)

the yank could be the next Tim Howard or Brad Fredal for all we know :)

We need one senior keeper and if that was going to be gerken then we would be ******

See where you're coming from but how does a keeper rest on his laurels? By not diving for a shot? I can understand competition is necessary for outfielders, because they put that extra percent in. Don't really see how a keeper can put an extra percent in, he's either saving it or he's not. Never seen a keeper 'bottle' a save because he can't be bothered.

Personally, I suspect knowing you're number 1 puts the nerves at ease and allows you to get on with playing.

Not a save granted , but I've seen plenty of keepers who didn't fancy an aerial challenge. Joe Hart springs to mind.

That's your opinion though. I for 1 (and Hodge for 2 by the sound of it) would not be comfortable with going into games with a youth teamer on the bench every week.

Not to mention the lack of competition.

I may have used youngster a bit loosely there I admit, by youngster I meant someone aged 23-25 or so, they will have plenty of time to develop and not considered someone like Gerken was to Heaton of similar age. Yes Gerken wasn't old but a keeper between him and Dylan.C.

I do agree with Dylan.C playing the JPT games, get him some first team experience and see how he copes.

I don't see a problem in having Dylan as back up and on the bench every week IF he is good enough to make the step up.

It seem's a no brainer to me, if he is, or will be good enough then he has to be back up. Look at it from a different angle, the keeper we sign will need to be on his game or Dylan will be chomping at the bit to replace him. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing at all having a youngster as back up. To be honest it's what I want to see.

+1 for the Yank on the bench.

I like what ive saw of him. Hes 18 & at any other club would be making the bench. No more wrapping our promising kids up in cotton wool. If there good enough get them involved. Would be good experience for him & benched keepers hardly ever get called upon anyway. If our first choice was to get injured for a spell then loan GKs are readily avaliable.

Over paid and over rated, gave no confidence to a very fragile defence last season.

Will not be missed, i think league 1 would be his standard, does not command his area and weak with crosses, would have Gerken over Heaton, happy with a new keeper though!

ALL the JPT games? You're optimistic!!!

+1 for the Yank on the bench.

I like what ive saw of him. Hes 18 & at any other club would be making the bench. No more wrapping our promising kids up in cotton wool. If there good enough get them involved. Would be good experience for him & benched keepers hardly ever get called upon anyway. If our first choice was to get injured for a spell then loan GKs are readily avaliable.

Not until August he isn't.

Still at least you've seen him play, unlike others here championing him who I would very much doubt have.

We had this last summer when certain posters were saying we should go with Gerken as our first choice and Lewis Carey as his back up, despite the fact that having seen him Lewis Carey clearly wasn't league standard...

I'm not sure, finances say we should go with one senior keeper, but until we know who the new first choice is I'm not 100% sure.

Archived