IGNORED

Everything That Is Wrong With Football (And A Little Bit Of Hope)

Last night I had the great joy of watching England play Ireland at Wembley. A good day out standing on the wrong side of escalators, telling landlords they are fools to only stock magners cider, as well as chatting (in my best west country accent) to some guy on the tube doing a Sudoku who clearly wanted me to go away. The football was poor but what else do you expect from a bunch of primadonnas wishing that they were on their summer hols. That wasn't the sad bit...

I was sat in a corner, and in the second half, frank lampard trotted over to take a corner. I, by force of habit, stood, applauded, cheered, much like any crowd when your player has a corner in your part of the ground. I was glad to see that almost everyone around me joined me on their feet, but here's the bit that is wrong with football. Instead of like me, cheering, I could hardly see the pitch for people holding cameras and mobile phones up, trying to get a picture of Lampard, while I'm stood there like a lemon trying to sing a song about super franky lampard. So few people in that stadium were there for the football, just to see these celebraties. I slumped back in my seat, disillusioned at how this was not football in my eyes, more like a crowd at a film premier. But then I saw some hope...

Directly opposite me was a sea of green, bouncing around, clapping, dancing, and singing long and hard for 90 mins. There was football. I envied the irish. I wanted to be in with them, not a single damn was given by an Irish man that day. I smiled and got back to watching the game, but if ever England play Ireland in Dublin, a highly recommend the trip. Great fans who'll buy you a pint, not a load of tourists whose greatest achievement in life was being within a 50 yard radius of Wayne Rooney.

The Oirish are just a step up from dressing up like Pirates from the team that cannot be mentioned. The money men would love that inauthentic "merch" on show. Hope ... Football fans should ignore Farange and get European. Some out there really know how to see No Al Calcio Moderno.

I know what you're saying, and the whole camera thing makes the mick, but in any game the away fans always have a better time. If you went to watch England play away there's no doubt that everyone would be having a laugh, just like you saw the Irish having at Wembley. It's just the type of fans that go to those games, Same with City - I much prefer going to the away games, as many others do as well.

I know what you're saying, and the whole camera thing makes the mick, but in any game the away fans always have a better time. If you went to watch England play away there's no doubt that everyone would be having a laugh, just like you saw the Irish having at Wembley. It's just the type of fans that go to those games, Same with City - I much prefer going to the away games, as many others do as well.

Of course I know this, away days are better, but this was different to anything at the gate. If people aren't singing they are probably enjoying a game of football, or at least taking it in. This was unreal and for that I pray we never get like Man U, or Chelsea, or Arsenal. Take L2 football over that all day long

There was article on the BBC yesterday about Pop/Groups/Artists etc.. performing at gigs and instead of the audience enjoying the show, they're more interesting in videoing or taking photo's on their cameras.

Basically you should be living for the moment, not for the moment you look back at the moment.

There was article on the BBC yesterday about Pop/Groups/Artists etc.. performing at gigs and instead of the audience enjoying the show, they're more interesting in videoing or taking photo's on their cameras.

Correct.............and I dont think people realise how much it affects the bands performance...

I am off to see FISH tonight at the KOMEDIA in Bath on the UK leg of his current tour and he has blogged after several shows that it is very difficult to perform to hands in the air holding cameras as opposed to hands in the air clapping and encouraging the performer - its a two way thing rather like footy...those on stage feed off the crowd

Twas not always so. England away is affected by the same foam hand.

Correct.............and I dont think people realise how much it affects the bands performance...

I am off to see FISH tonight at the KOMEDIA in Bath on the UK leg of his current tour and he has blogged after several shows that it is very difficult to perform to hands in the air holding cameras as opposed to hands in the air clapping and encouraging the performer - its a two way thing rather like footy...those on stage feed off the crowd

I agree with performers feeding off the crowd, but far more so in football, I would say.

I have been on stage a few times and with the lighting, you find it very hard to see anything more than a few rows from the front of the audience anyway.

The answer has to be to stop 'buying' in to the 'extras' that bombard the football fan nowadays.. just a scarf in appropriate colours is good enough when watching live, & only watch free to air (or online feeds) of matches.

Quit Sky Sports TV, starve the game of all this TV money (that the whole football industry has grown to chase after, crave & devour like a starving animal) then the game of football can be dragged kicking and screaming into some sort of reality again.

Clubs will be shocked into realising their loyal supporters are the ones who the whole damn thing must once again revolve around...

No-one begrudges players & managers etc earning a damned good living out of the game (if they remain focussed on their love of it & desire to give it their all) but I know NO-ONE who truly believes any of 'em are worth Hundreds of Thousands of ££££'s A Week, week after week, month after month year after year... theres the problem, the industry can bleed supporters dry but they cant get enough to satisfy the greed that TV football has fulfilled..fans have become secondary (or third or fourth) in importance to the game, the industry... that now gorges itself on huge outsider income streams, fans can all so easily be fobbed off with a little lip-service & a deaf ear they are almost irrelevent in some cases now.. with TV money being the biggest culprit, - wouldnt be surprised if someone somewhere isnt already sponsoring the bog rolls in the changing rooms.

Its got so crazy moneywise that no-one who knew the game prior to the 80's can recognise it as the game whole working class communities grew up with & lived for... for Christ's sake who here worships any of them multi- millionaires prancing around in England shirts anymore?...

Look at any Premiershit game on the TV, it is just the same.

Next time don't sit with the 'Happy Clapping' section and try and get in with some other fans from lower league sides

It's all the ground. Two seasons 25 City were at an international and thousands of sponsored white t shirts were given out. Decided we wouldn't wear the guff and fans were telling the stewards to make bristol city wear the crappy things.stewards involved thousands of replica shirts all booing away all over some t shirt display. That was the noisiest the ground got. Explains why city's support of England has collapsed home and away from what it was.

It's all the ground. Two seasons 25 City were at an international and thousands of sponsored white t shirts were given out. Decided we wouldn't wear the guff and fans were telling the stewards to make bristol city wear the crappy things.stewards involved thousands of replica shirts all booing away all over some t shirt display. That was the noisiest the ground got. Explains why city's support of England has collapsed home and away from what it was.

Which game did this happen at?

Still see plenty of City on England away trips, there were good numbers in Podgorica in March (and I'm sure I won't be the only BCFC fan in Rio on Sunday).

Which game did this happen at?

Still see plenty of City on England away trips, there were good numbers in Podgorica in March (and I'm sure I won't be the only BCFC fan in Rio on Sunday).

France. Few have already gone to Rio. No England away game in last five years has touched the numbers city did get in France Belgium Netherlands Slovakia Portugal Germany which could see groups of 100+. Gone now which is why trips like Willem Ii in particular and Sparta Lazio and a few others have become popular.

Sparta Lazio? Is there a connection here ?

few Sparta Prague lads have visited Ashton Gate for a few years. City go the other way like Willem II but numbers are far less. City fans have gone to a few choice Italian derbies as weekenders. A Lazio fan head of one of their big fans groups is pally with a few city. Told the organisation of Lazio ultras had to be seen to be believed own shops bars even their own radio station.

France. Few have already gone to Rio. No England away game in last five years has touched the numbers city did get in France Belgium Netherlands Slovakia Portugal Germany which could see groups of 100+. Gone now which is why trips like Willem Ii in particular and Sparta Lazio and a few others have become popular.

We had a good number in San Marino in March - I'd guess around 60-70. But you're right, there used to be 100+ at some games.

I know a few who've gone to Rio, so you won't be alone North London Red.

We had a good number in San Marino in March - I'd guess around 60-70. But you're right, there used to be 100+ at some games.

I know a few who've gone to Rio, so you won't be alone North London Red.

Rio game on Sunday apparently now suspended due to a court order after the stadium failed a safety test - you couldn't make it up!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-v-brazil-because-safety-1923166

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22725420

Oh well, flying out tomorrow and too late to cancel - what will be will be! Have a feeling they'll find a way of getting the game on (perhaps moving it to another Brazilian city) but I guess we'll see.

Archived