IGNORED

Would You Be Interested If It Happened To Us?

Roadrunner

He won't be allowed, firstly because he'd have to fork out £40m to Lansdown to clear the debt as well as buy the actual club from him too.

Secondly, because I won't allow it. And I rock!!

Not good for the long term.

the equivalent in real life would be to leave your wife of 20 years and two kids because a fit Italian model wants sex with an average middle age English guy. Naturally the interest from her is short term and you have a ruined life after a short period of time, with no chance of going back.

that is effectively my take on modern football and billionaire owners.

the equivalent in real life would be to leave your wife of 20 years and two kids because a fit Italian model wants sex with an average middle age English guy. Naturally the interest from her is short term and you have a ruined life after a short period of time, with no chance of going back.

Isn't SL a billionaire owner?

He won't be allowed, firstly because he'd have to fork out £40m to Lansdown to clear the debt as well as buy the actual club from him too.

Secondly, because I won't allow it. And I rock!!

A good example as to why it's not a bad thing to be 40m in debt to SL!

I don't think it would happen for a couple of reasons. We're no longer in the Championship and we're nowhere near London. Charlton and Millwall would be the obvious targets, but unlike our Welsh neighbours I don't think a foreign takeover would go down well with either Valiants or Lions fans.

But you never know. I thought Cardiff would have had more backbone about this kind of thing and I got that wrong.

I certainly wouldn't want that, even if it did bring success. It just feels wrong and achieving promotion in that manner would feel as if you'd cheated the system, therefore downgrading the achievement.

So not unlike have a billionaire backer to underwrite all your debts then? The number of people on here who say £40-£50m (and rising...) debts are fine as "SL won't call them in as he's a fan" - doesn't that feel like cheating the system and downgrading all of your achievements (Championship football for 7 seasons, above Rovers for xxx days and counting...) that City fans like to bask in?

Not trying to stir, just trying to add some balance ;)

So not unlike have a billionaire backer to underwrite all your debts then? The number of people on here who say £40-£50m (and rising...) debts are fine as "SL won't call them in as he's a fan" - doesn't that feel like cheating the system and downgrading all of your achievements (Championship football for 7 seasons, above Rovers for xxx days and counting...) that City fans like to bask in?

Days? :laugh: ******* years more like!!

Whoa there tiger, that's gonna hit a nerve !!! prepare for incoming

It's not quite the same but I agree it isn't a great set-up and I've always been more in the 'we should be self-sustainable' camp than the 'we should've spent a shit load in January and Summer 2008 camps. Thankfully it looks as though the days of signing overrated (and more importantly overpaid) players on more than we can realistically offer appear to be over...for now at least.

So have Rovers have never had your debts covered by your chairman?

Not to the same level as city but that's because they don't have the same wealth, same principle though.

Archived