IGNORED

Alan Quinn

Thornbury Red

##### , he's a quality player :@ Its good to see were actually looking at players on frees though.

PLAY-OFF FAILURE SCUPPERS MOVE FOR IRISH STAR

More Sport | Back to home page

11:00 - 04 June 2004

Bristol City's failure to reach Division One looks to have scuppered their hopes of signing Irish international winger Alan Quinn. The Dubliner has just been released by Sheffield Wednesday and Robins boss Danny Wilson - who handed Quinn his Owls debut during his spell in charge at Hillsborough - is known to have been targeting the 24-year-old.

But Quinn was only ready to consider a move to Ashton Gate if the club could offer Division One football - and he may now cause a major stir in South Yorkshire by opting to sign for the Owls' bitter rivals Sheffield United.

"I want my next club to be one which has plenty of ambition, like myself," Quinn said.

"I want to play at the highest level possible and go somewhere where things are in place to do well.

"Sheffield United have done well recently, you have to respect what they've achieved. United have plenty of quality players. I've spoken with Neil Warnock and there are some other clubs in for me as well, which has given me a lot of confidence."

Quinn won his second Republic of Ireland cap this week as he helped Brian Kerr's side to a 1-0 win over Jamaica, but he believes he has to be playing at a First Division standard, at the very least, to further his international ambitions.

He added: "It's important I go somewhere I can bring something to the team and also improve myself."

Meanwhile, young keeper Scott Brown, one of five players released by City this week, has linked up with former Ashton Gate boss John Ward at Cheltenham. He will be competing for a place with ex-Bristol Rovers stopper Shane Higgs.

Great- no division 1 looks like we are going to have to have more players who come in and do nothing-wilkshire etc...

I am sick and tired of players rejecting us because we are in div 2.

I dont blame them however becaus ei know they wanna play in a higher league.

maybe one year we will actually get to div 1 and might be able to sign some half decent players

Archived