IGNORED

Martinez Set For Everton

glynriley

Can someone explain the fascination with Martinez please? Nice bloke but didn't Steve Bruce do better at Wigan than him?

I just don't get what he has done to warrant the Toffee's job.

Won the FA cup with Wigan..

Kept them up 2 out of 3 seasons

Plays some brilliant football

Develops players

Decent in the transfer market

Can someone explain the fascination with Martinez please? Nice bloke but didn't Steve Bruce do better at Wigan than him?

I just don't get what he has done to warrant the Toffee's job.

Ask David Whelan......actually, don't! Glad they've gone down so I don't have to listen to that self righteous gobshite every two minutes on the radio

Guess you could look at it two ways.....he's won more at Wigan than Moyes has won at Everton, but will he be able to keep Everton in the top 6 or 7 like Moyes has done pretty consistently over the last couple of seasons. I don't think he will

Won the FA cup with Wigan..

Kept them up 2 out of 3 seasons

Plays some brilliant football

Develops players

Decent in the transfer market

... and has taken them down. Even Bruce kept them up for longer than Roberto.

I don't dislike the guy at all just don't get the media frenzy about a bloke who has taken a club down.

Good luck to him but his pretty football has proven to have failed hasn't it?

... and has taken them down. Even Bruce kept them up for longer than Roberto.

I don't dislike the guy at all just don't get the media frenzy about a bloke who has taken a club down.

Good luck to him but his pretty football has proven to have failed hasn't it?

How has it failed? He's won them their first major trophy.

He kept them up for a couple of years and all Wigan fans and many people in football rate him very highly. Speaks volumes.

How has it failed? He's won them their first major trophy.

He kept them up for a couple of years and all Wigan fans and many people in football rate him very highly. Speaks volumes.

I would say getting relegated would be percieved as failure TBH Jordan.

I'm not saying he's a bad Manager but I don't get why so 'many people in football rate him very highly'.

I'm not looking for a row, just asking a question.

As I said, both Bruce and Jewell kept Wigan up and aren't percieved as successful while Martinez is a hot property and he took them down!

Is it a case of he's a nice bloke and a media darling?

I wish him every possible success FWIW.

Martinez is a strange one.

I think they stayed up so many times not because of Martinez, more to do with saving their own bacon.

Martinez could never motivate through the whole season. Looking in from the outside, it seems the players motivated themselves to get out of the brown stuff in the last 6 weeks. That showed they were more than good enough..... So why couldn't martinez get them to do it throughout the season?

I think Everton maybe trouble appointing him. I am not so sure he is a great a manager as people make out.

Martinez is a strange one.

I think they stayed up so many times not because of Martinez, more to do with saving their own bacon.

Martinez could never motivate through the whole season. Looking in from the outside, it seems the players motivated themselves to get out of the brown stuff in the last 6 weeks. That showed they were more than good enough..... So why couldn't martinez get them to do it throughout the season?

I think Everton maybe trouble appointing him. I am not so sure he is a great a manager as people make out.

I'm with you TRL, I just don't get it.

I would say getting relegated would be percieved as failure TBH Jordan.

I'm not saying he's a bad Manager but I don't get why so 'many people in football rate him very highly'.

I'm not looking for a row, just asking a question.

As I said, both Bruce and Jewell kept Wigan up and aren't percieved as successful while Martinez is a hot property and he took them down!

Is it a case of he's a nice bloke and a media darling?

I wish him every possible success FWIW.

Bruce or Jewell didn't win any major trophies

Bruce or Jewell didn't win any major trophies

I suppose it's relative Jordan, is winning a cup and going out of the Prem a success or is staying in the Prem success? There is a case for both options but, personally, I would see going down as failure. Bruce and Jewell kept Wigan up relatively comfortably but, as you said, didn't win a cup.

It's a case of opinions isn't it? Would the majority of Wigan fans sacrifice their cup win to stay in the cash cow league? I wouldn't be so crass as to guess TBH but I would imagine most Chairmen would prefer survival, purely for the finance.

I suppose it's relative Jordan, is winning a cup and going out of the Prem a success or is staying in the Prem success? There is a case for both options but, personally, I would see going down as failure. Bruce and Jewell kept Wigan up relatively comfortably but, as you said, didn't win a cup.

It's a case of opinions isn't it? Would the majority of Wigan fans sacrifice their cup win to stay in the cash cow league? I wouldn't be so crass as to guess TBH but I would imagine most Chairmen would prefer survival, purely for the finance.

DW and the fans seem to accept relegation alot easier now they've won the FA Cup.

DW and the fans seem to accept relegation alot easier now they've won the FA Cup.

I am not disagreeing with you Jordan. In your opinion winning the cup is a great success, in mine relegation is failure. Why, after taking an established Premier League club down, is Martinez so highly thought of? Yes, he won the cup BUT he took them down! I don't think that justifies his appointment at a big club.

What am I missing here?

I am not disagreeing with you Jordan. In your opinion winning the cup is a great success, in mine relegation is failure. Why, after taking an established Premier League club down, is Martinez so highly thought of? Yes, he won the cup BUT he took them down! I don't think that justifies his appointment at a big club.

What am I missing here?

Relegation is a failure but they've been in a relegation battle for 9 years and sooner or later they were going to get relegated. Their midfield were more than good enough but defensively they were way short.

He's still only 39, he will go onto a have a good career as a manager. Plenty of good attributes

some good arguments both ways for Martinez. With the chairman at Everton and players at Everton, which I think will get behind him he'll come in 8th or 7th.

The best players will all leave.

Relegation is a failure but they've been in a relegation battle for 9 years and sooner or later they were going to get relegated. Their midfield were more than good enough but defensively they were way short.

He's still only 39, he will go onto a have a good career as a manager. Plenty of good attributes

Weren't they relatively comfortable for a while? I thought they were.

I do agree with the 2nd statement but it strikes me as a risky appointment by the Toffees, especially given Wigans glaring defensive frailties last season which he seemingly didn't address. Good luck to him regardless.

An interesting stat that I just looked up.

Everton made a £1.8M PROFIT in their transfer dealings for 2012/13 while wigan made £1.9M PROFIT on theirs. I am genuinely surprised by that!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/wigan-athletic-transfers.html

I think Manure will be less successful under Moyes, probably stating the blinding obvious, and Martinez will be less successful at Everton; both leaving managers, at Man and Ev, are a virtually impossible and a very difficult act to follow respectively.

Weren't they relatively comfortable for a while? I thought they were.

I do agree with the 2nd statement but it strikes me as a risky appointment by the Toffees, especially given Wigans glaring defensive frailties last season which he seemingly didn't address. Good luck to him regardless.

An interesting stat that I just looked up.

Everton made a £1.8M PROFIT in their transfer dealings for 2012/13 while wigan made £1.9M PROFIT on theirs. I am genuinely surprised by that!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/wigan-athletic-transfers.html

Finished 10th and 11th under Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce respectively but since then have struggled... especially with Martinez.

Be interesting to see if it doesn't work out for Moyes at Manure and Martinez at Everton then maybe Moyes will head back to Goodison?

I don't see the fascination with Martinez to be honest. He's struggled ever since he got that job and his former side have done well without him. Yeah he won an FA Cup but not so long ago so did Portsmouth.

Archived