IGNORED

Rpz In Bristol

Gazred

So what the bloody hell is going on here then?

From what i can gather, the majority don't want it but the Mayor is determined to make it happen...because he has the power to do so.

This coming from the man who said in his manifesto ""I will devolve power to local communities and local people, allowing them to make local decisions about local issues that directly affect them."

People do not want your council parking tax George.

Democratic Bristol my arse.....

http://www.bristol-democracy.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/George-Ferguson-Manifesto-On-Democracy.jpg

So i heard George on the Radio this morning. He basicly said that this is happening and the only consoltation will be on how it is implemented. In short, it's being forced on the people of Bristol without a chance to say no thanks.

I say again, Democratic Bristol my arse.

Isn't this why people wanted a mayor in the first place.? To push things through and make things happen rather than the endless consultations and bureaucracy that lasted years, but amounted to nothing?

Isn't this why people wanted a mayor in the first place.? To push things through and make things happen rather than the endless consultations and bureaucracy that lasted years, but amounted to nothing?

Your not wrong, but i would be staggered if those who firstly voted for a mayor and secondly those who voted for Mr Ferguson were voting so something like this could be forced upon the people of Bristol.

I can already see this being one of those things most people are not that bothered about until 6 months down the line when it actually starts to impact their lives, by which time it will be to late to act.

There really are not enough viable alternatives to commuting by car for some people. George seems to think we will all just jump on a bus or get on our bikes and be healthy....the man is deluded. Not everyone can ride a bike, not everyone can afford the bus day in day out. When i worked it out, it costs me £5 approx a week to drive to work than catch the bus. £5 extra for all the perks that come with driving my own car to work, not a lot of incentive to give that up. This is all about milking a few quid out of most households in Bristol.

Personally im in South Glos and will still be able to park close to my Bristol workplace once the RPZ is in place. Its the principle that really gets me, say whatever it takes to get the vote then once you have the power, ignore your manifesto....but hey thats politics!

Your not wrong, but i would be staggered if those who firstly voted for a mayor and secondly those who voted for Mr Ferguson were voting so something like this could be forced upon the people of Bristol.

I can already see this being one of those things most people are not that bothered about until 6 months down the line when it actually starts to impact their lives, by which time it will be to late to act.

There really are not enough viable alternatives to commuting by car for some people. George seems to think we will all just jump on a bus or get on our bikes and be healthy....the man is deluded. Not everyone can ride a bike, not everyone can afford the bus day in day out. When i worked it out, it costs me £5 approx a week to drive to work than catch the bus. £5 extra for all the perks that come with driving my own car to work, not a lot of incentive to give that up. This is all about milking a few quid out of most households in Bristol.

Personally im in South Glos and will still be able to park close to my Bristol workplace once the RPZ is in place. Its the principle that really gets me, say whatever it takes to get the vote then once you have the power, ignore your manifesto....but hey thats politics!

Indeed. Be very careful what you wish for. Old George has his own agenda, pretty clear what he stood for before he got voted in. The people have voted, now we live with it.

Until he gets control of the first bus domination, these ideas are going to not only harm commuters, but also local businesses. I really cannot see what he hopes to achieve other than take cars of the road. Great... but expect to kill of local businesses when it happens.

Indeed. Be very careful what you wish for. Old George has his own agenda, pretty clear what he stood for before he got voted in. The people have voted, now we live with it.

Until he gets control of the first bus domination, these ideas are going to not only harm commuters, but also local businesses. I really cannot see what he hopes to achieve other than take cars of the road. Great... but expect to kill of local businesses when it happens.

Yeh, well said, I totally agree, particularly with regards to First. They have never been good value for money or provided a good service. Can't say I have traveled on a bus anywhere else in the UK for many years but I have abroad and our service leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeh, well said, I totally agree, particularly with regards to First. They have never been good value for money or provided a good service. Can't say I have traveled on a bus anywhere else in the UK for many years but I have abroad and our service leaves a lot to be desired.

I think most European countries put our public transport to shame. I am not entirely sure how the regulators allow these companies get away with such poor service at such high prices. About time routes were thrown open to all operators, including small operators.

I know full well first got the bus contract as it was part of the deal to get the train service. They give no interest to the bus service, they got what they came for, they have the train service, screw the Bristolian bus travellers

I'm afraid that anyone who didn't vote in the Mayoral election can't really complain about any of this. As TRL said, it was obvious what Ferguson was up to before the election and thanks to the p155 poor turnout more than anything else he's now got more or less carte blanche to do what he wants (cue song) in Bristol.

Thankfully there'll be a chance to get rid of him, but it won't be this side of Christmas :(

Archived