IGNORED

17 Year Olds Breaking Into The First Team

where's the joy

if memory serves Gerry Gow broke into the first team at the tender age of 17.

how many others have there been and did any turn out to have a long career?

Most of the team that completed the 1981-82 season were teenagers.

Chris Garland and Kevin Mabbutt come to mind as well as a few who were blooded too early like Kevin Griffin who was kicked off the park by Villa.

Luke Shaw is only 17 and has made a couple of dozen appearances for Southampton and is now allegedly being chased by Man Yoo. Also Viktor Fischer at Ajax was only 17 when he first broke into the first team and is also reportedly being courted by a number of top clubs.

Cotterel was only a nipper. Think he was 16 when he came on as sub in the ldv one yr. Looks like hes turned the corner and is going to make a decent career for himself. Probably not a prem regular as was expected at such a young age but a solid championship player

Funny how mediocre players make such a career. Good agent me thinks...

Cotterill was all hype when he was at City anyway, not even half the player Adomah is. Not even quick enough.

Sorry for the change of topic, but rant over (hopefully).

Anyway, didn't Burnell and Tommy Doherty come in at an early age. Doherty, what a geez.

Doherty, what a geez.

What a great waste of talent. Don't get me wrong, loved watching him but a dreadful attitude and contempt for his career held him back.

What a great waste of talent. Don't get me wrong, loved watching him but a dreadful attitude and contempt for his career held him back.

Just an old fashioned footballer, playing in the wrong era. I always thought that if he didn't smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish he could have gone a long way further than he did, still always personable off the field and IMHO a great talent.

Just an old fashioned footballer, playing in the wrong era. I always thought that if he didn't smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish he could have gone a long way further than he did, still always personable off the field and IMHO a great talent.

189 games in 9 seasons and a handful of games for 8 other clubs says it all really.

A good talent but a decent player at best

But, he's now 34 and has earned another contract at Exeter.

So not bad for someone who (according to the experts on here,has totally abused his body) is still playing in the Football league at 34+.

But, he's now 34 and has earned another contract at Exeter.

So not bad for someone who (according to the experts on here,has totally abused his body) is still playing in the Football league at 34+.

Saw a picture on google images at Exeter and he looks in surprisingly good shape considering how he hasn't looked after himself in past times...

+ 1 Wolfie.

Archived