IGNORED

Let's See How Watford Do Now!

UREDS_91

That the international loan loophole has been closed!

Below is from Sky Sports:

Football League members have voted to amend rules allowing clubs an unlimited number of international loans.

Clubs agreed unanimously to close a loophole which meant Watford could last season legitimately bring in 10 players from Udinese, the Italian club that shares the Pozzo family as owners.

Under the new regulations international loans will be treated the same as domestic loans, with clubs limited to a total of five loanees in matchday squads and a maximum of four from the same parent club.

The vote, which required 51% backing, comes after Watford's approach drew heavy criticism from their Championship rivals.

Ian Holloway - the Crystal Palace manager whose side beat the Hornets in last month's play-off final - was among the most outspoken critics, calling the previous system "ludicrous".

He said in February: "I need some foreign scouts, or to befriend a big club like (Watford) have, and to nick all their players.

"They've got nine from one club! It's a loophole and that's wrong. Unlimited foreign loans? It can't be right."

There's nothing stopping them from "selling" the players to them for a nominal fee that they then sell them back to Udinese for at the end of the season. There's always a way around these things and the cunning will find them.

There must be something in place to stop you disposing of and then immediately reacquiring players.

I was talking to someone who said Udinese want Watford to pay £5m for Vydra

What's the point of a fee if they're owned by the same guy? Surely the money will come out his Watford account and into his Udinese account the money technically never leaving Watford as he could put £5m into the club

Yeh, i dont think thats the case to be fair. If they want Vydra at Watford, he will be their via a nominal fee.

I think a seperate worry for Watford is that they are under a transfer embargo and each transfer will be done on a case by case basis. Whose to say the FL will knock them back for all the Udinese players? I doubt it but could happen.

I am glad this loophole is finally being closed.

No one could complain if their new owners like any other new owner ( even tanplastic) put money into the club and improved the players but this lot just want to exploit the rules and use the championship as a door mat for players who under normal circumstances wouldn't be seen dead in a Watford shirt and with it maybe the coaching staff come into question as well as they must have known this is morally incorrect.

And let's be honest here, Watford would have been struggling to stay in the championship given their perilous financial state and transfer embargo, let alone be in the championship play off final.

And whilst we're on their transfer embargo it shows their owners have no intention of dealing with the club's pressing financial commitments thus demonstrating a total disregard for anything other than the parent club's agenda.

It would not have prevented our relegation but spare a thought for Leicester or Nottingham Forest who missed out because of this loophole.

I was talking to someone who said Udinese want Watford to pay £5m for Vydra

What's the point of a fee if they're owned by the same guy? Surely the money will come out his Watford account and into his Udinese account the money technically never leaving Watford as he could put £5m into the club

could be Watford are in danger of making a £5m profit, so just doing exactly what Costa etc... do, transfer the money out the country to save paying any tax on it!

Archived