IGNORED

Nigeria Vs Tahiti

Robin 101

Why? They won the Oceania tournament, have every right to be there even if they do get hammered.

Go Tahiti :D

They qualified fair and square but ultimately it's a waste of time for everyone involved.

Ridiculous comment!!

Why ridiculous? Fair play they qualified but any senior international side that loses 7-0 to an under 21 side that are hardly a major force within the game shouldn't be at major tournaments. I get they qualified, it's romantic or whatever but it's just so pointless for everyone involved.

Do we not want to watch the best teams anymore? Would you say the same if they were at the world cup? Teams like Scotland, Wales etc get the raw end of the deal in the European qualifying section because it's a lot harder. I know they are not great themselves but I would rather see teams like that with better players. I personally think the Oceania section should be harder to qualify from.

They qualified fair and square but ultimately it's a waste of time for everyone involved.

How is it a waste of time for everyone involved? Tahiti gain the experience of playing against superior opposition and to be honest they've made a decent go of it rather than defending for the whole game.

And it is harder for them to qualify for the World Cup from the Oceania group as they have to play the 4th placed team from the South Americas hence why Australia moved to the Asian qualifying zone.

Why ridiculous? Fair play they qualified but any senior international side that loses 7-0 to an under 21 side that are hardly a major force within the game shouldn't be at major tournaments. I get they qualified, it's romantic or whatever but it's just so pointless for everyone involved.

Do we not want to watch the best teams anymore? Would you say the same if they were at the world cup? Teams like Scotland, Wales etc get the raw end of the deal in the European qualifying section because it's a lot harder. I know they are not great themselves but I would rather see teams like that with better players. I personally think the Oceania section should be harder to qualify from.

It's hardly a major tournament is it?

It's just a glamorous dress rehersal for next summer. I've never once heard a player say how delighted they would be to win the Confederations Cup!

How is it a waste of time for everyone involved? Tahiti gain the experience of playing against superior opposition and to be honest they've made a decent go of it rather than defending for the whole game.

And it is harder for them to qualify for the World Cup from the Oceania group as they have to play the 4th placed team from the South Americas hence why Australia moved to the Asian qualifying zone.

Yeah and fair play they are having a go at it but they won't win a game. It's a waste of time for everyone else involved apart from them. I would rather see better teams.

It's hardly a major tournament is it?

It's just a glamorous dress rehersal for next summer. I've never once heard a player say how delighted they would be to win the Confederations Cup!

The likes of Spain take it seriously though and want to win it as it's the only one they don't have. Ultimately it's tournament experience.

Yeah and fair play they are having a go at it but they won't win a game. It's a waste of time for everyone else involved apart from them. I would rather see better teams.

I disagree slightly Tayls, There would be no point in them having a national team, there would be zero incentive or purpose for them to win games or try improve.

Every team deserves it's reward if they earn it which they have by winning their regional championship

I disagree slightly Tayls, There would be no point in them having a national team, there would be zero incentive or purpose for them to win games or try improve.

Every team deserves it's reward if they earn it which they have by winning their regional championship

I completely see the other side of the argument mate. I would never dispute the fact they deserve to be there, it's just I don't think they should as they are shite!!

Taylor10 is right to a large extent.

The Oceania Group is ridiculous and really ought to be scrapped and merged with the Asia Group.

I don't think we can dispute the fact that they won their Continental tournament and therefore deserve to be in Brazil, but FIFA need to look at it and not allow such silliness!

Tahiti beat Samoa, New Caledonia, Vanuatu & Solomon Islands in order to reach Brazil.

Australia saw sense a few years ago and decided to join the Asia Group. FIFA should merge the AFC & OFC and allow the likes of Tahiti the opportunity to play against higher standard opposition in regular qualifying tournaments as opposed to playing against Vanuatu year in year out!

Fair play to them, it's great for them that they're there, but lets be honest, they really shouldn't be. If the OFC was structured correctly, then Australia would win it every time. But they've moved on to the AFC and so should the rest of them.

The Oceania Group is ridiculous and really ought to be scrapped and merged with the Asia Group.

I don't think we can dispute the fact that they won their Continental tournament and therefore deserve to be in Brazil, but FIFA need to look at it and not allow such silliness!

Tahiti beat Samoa, New Caledonia, Vanuatu & Solomon Islands in order to reach Brazil.

Australia saw sense a few years ago and decided to join the Asia Group. FIFA should merge the AFC & OFC and allow the likes of Tahiti the opportunity to play against higher standard opposition in regular qualifying tournaments as opposed to playing against Vanuatu year in year out!

Fair play to them, it's great for them that they're there, but lets be honest, they really shouldn't be. If the OFC was structured correctly, then Australia would win it every time. But they've moved on to the AFC and so should the rest of them.

I agree to an extent with your post Harry but as I said in an earlier post, Australia saw sense because they kept getting beat by the 4th placed South American team so you cant blame them for moving to the AFC but in all honesty its slightly easier to qualify automatically in that group.

Clearly its of a better standard football than the OFC but other than Japan, South Korea and maybe Iran its still pretty poor.

Think if you combine both then it becomes a little more long winded then it already is but on the flip side would give the likes of Tahiti, New Caledonia etc. a better experience but could it be far too expensive for these Island nations to fly out to Kygyzstan or The Maldives? They are rank amateurs and would fully expect that there is very little money invested in football...

Think that would be the ultimate stumbling block for the Oceanic countries other than both New Zealand and Australia.

I agree to an extent with your post Harry but as I said in an earlier post, Australia saw sense because they kept getting beat by the 4th placed South American team so you cant blame them for moving to the AFC but in all honesty its slightly easier to qualify automatically in that group.

Clearly its of a better standard football than the OFC but other than Japan, South Korea and maybe Iran its still pretty poor.

Think if you combine both then it becomes a little more long winded then it already is but on the flip side would give the likes of Tahiti, New Caledonia etc. a better experience but could it be far too expensive for these Island nations to fly out to Kygyzstan or The Maldives? They are rank amateurs and would fully expect that there is very little money invested in football...

Think that would be the ultimate stumbling block for the Oceanic countries other than both New Zealand and Australia.

I agree that the AFC Group doesn't exactly hold a host of top Countries either but it's 100 times better than the OFC Group.

The Confederations Cup is supposed to be a World Cup Warm-Up event. So, if the OFC Champions have to play the 5th placed AFC team in a play-off to qualify for the actual World Cup, why should they not have to go through a similar qualification for the Confed Cup?

I agree with regard to the potential costs involved for such small nations to compete, but this is where FIFA should come in and operate some kind of funding to allow these fixtures to exist. One weeks wages of a top European player would pay for the whole travel costs for the whole qualifying event for all of the OFC teams!! Once again, money in football is ridiculously misplaced.

I agree that the AFC Group doesn't exactly hold a host of top Countries either but it's 100 times better than the OFC Group.

The Confederations Cup is supposed to be a World Cup Warm-Up event. So, if the OFC Champions have to play the 5th placed AFC team in a play-off to qualify for the actual World Cup, why should they not have to go through a similar qualification for the Confed Cup?

I agree with regard to the potential costs involved for such small nations to compete, but this is where FIFA should come in and operate some kind of funding to allow these fixtures to exist. One weeks wages of a top European player would pay for the whole travel costs for the whole qualifying event for all of the OFC teams!! Once again, money in football is ridiculously misplaced.

And that is the big problem in football and I genuinely believe that FIFA do not care for these minnows because they are no draw for sponsors due to the standard of football which is pretty much on par with the Southern League Premier. Scrapping the OFC and merging it with the AFC will happen which means that none of these countries will ever develop which in my view is wrong, the whole system needs to be revamped with money being distributed probably not evenly but at least to help them become competitive through channels of better facilities, maybe setup a professional league (After all Gibraltar do).

Tahiti's next game is against Spain. If Spain are taking this tourney very seriously then I really do fear for them...

Have you been to the likes of Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, Vanuatu ? There is know way they could afford to swan off around Asia for Qualifiers. Some of the countries in the pacific region are lucky that they even have a local league. I have seen football played whilst on holidays in some of the places listed, I can tell you now there is bugger all money in the game there.

Archived