IGNORED

Our Early Odds

Evander SnowyField

From William Hill:

8/1 Champions (second favourites behind Wolves)

3/1 Promoted (third favourites behind Wolves and P'boro

Thoughts??

Trying desperately to stave off the standard annual pre season over-optimism, but couldn't resist a cheeky bet. FTP

So we are fancied to be Champions ahead of the Posh, But Posh are fancied to be promoted ahead of us.

Put a tenner on you'll get 840 back.

... if you win..!

Back to odds creation, don't think it's as simple as bookies just adjusting odds in line with where the money goes. If they did it as simply as that, they only way they'd make a profit would be through the extent to which their book was over round. They'll also look to have a better view of the likelihood of who will win and lay anything they see as getting unjustified support from punters. They'll also lay their liabilities with other bookies (or on exchanges), so to some extent it becomes bookie vs. bookie rather than bookie vs. punter.

Think they'll also tend to let favourites remain longer odds than the money justifies, to encourage more money. Otherwise, with a perfectly structured book there should be no advantage/disadvantage to the bookie as to who wins, yet they'll always play up how tragic it is when favourites win; when in reality they know that the average punter puts a lot more faith in favourites than they deserve and over time this is a clear way for the bookie to clean up. Clearly when they're confident that there's a deserving favourite they'll protect themselves, but as a general rule favourites are a bad bet - if the reason they were a bad bet was they were underpriced vs. the money then bookies would be happy when they won, so the only reason can be that they're overpriced vs. the money (and hence tearful bookies when favourites win), but not as overpriced as they should be given their actual chances of winning... I think...

Re City's odds, given what we know, is a one in nine/11% chance of winning (8/1) reasonable? Seems a bit short to me given last season and nothing in the new players to make us massively confident/time required to gel/23 other 'horses' etc? Think a few disappointing results initially as gelling occurs (and odds drift) and then pile in if we see green shoots of improvement at (say) 20/1; better odds and possibly more confident at that stage of winning? Obviously if we get off to a flyer then 8/1 may turn out to be great value, but I wouldn't take it right now

Think bookies also take the Micky in big fields (such as a 24 horse League One race) and particularly where they can gain an advantage from supporters loyalty to their team. Bill Hill's League One book is currently 20% over round, easy money.

Apologies for ramble.

odds mean nothing, its just the amount of money punters are putting on,

We will be near the top because we've just been relegated thats all,

Personally I think wolves are going to stuggle more then anyone thinks they are in free fall and in greater disaray then us,

If anyone was equipted to go stright back up its Peterborough

Amen. Tell me more o wise one.

I'm glad you're so sure on everything :)

Where Gould I put my £100 outright bet this season?

Our odds have actually lengthened since my OP

Now 11/1 champions

Still 3/1 promotion

Interesting considering our signings, or are we getting the old rose tinted glasses on?

Strikers win matches, defences win Championships. I like the look of our back four. If Flint and Maloney stay fit we'll be in a good position, especially if we continue to be a possession based side. There is decent cover on the left side with Williams and Bryan, right hand side less so.

3/1 for promotion is a fair price. We should be difficult to beat, meaning we are within striking distance of the top 6. Get the striker signing right, replace Albert when he leaves and we will be a decent side.

Archived