IGNORED

Successful Close Season For City

Kid in the Riot

The last time we had such a successful close season in terms of signing players was 2006 under Johnson before our promotion season.

As far as I can recall, and having done a little research, all of these key players in our promotion season from League One signed prior to pre-season training: Jamie McCombe, Jamie McAllister, Liam Fontaine, Phil Jevons and Lee Johnson. Cult hero Enoch Showunmi joined middle of June.

All went on to feature heavily in that successful season.

Hashtag justsaying

EDIT: This season for comparison, Flint, Fielding, Wynter, Williams.

The last time we had such a successful close season in terms of signing players was 2006 under Johnson before our promotion season.

As far as I can recall, and having done a little research, all of these key players in our promotion season from League One signed prior to pre-season training: Jamie McCombe, Jamie McAllister, Liam Fontaine, Phil Jevons and Lee Johnson. Cult hero Enoch Showunmi joined middle of June.

All went on to feature heavily in that successful season.

Hashtag justsaying

Jeez has Fontaine been here that long?! Not long till his testemonial!

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that two of the signings made so far have been what could still be classed as youth players. I know Wynter and Williams have been signed for the first team and have come from Premiership teams but we should be careful about expecting them to have the same impact as Johnson's experienced signings did.

That said, there's a real feeling that the club has approached this summer with a plan (one which was in place months ago) and is executing it very effectively.

Jeez has Fontaine been here that long?! Not long till his testemonial!

Fontaine was on loan with us the previous season, so he's been here since the start of 2006. Seven and a half years.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that two of the signings made so far have been what could still be classed as youth players. I know Wynter and Williams have been signed for the first team and have come from Premier League teams but we should be careful about expecting them to have the same impact as Johnson's experienced signings did.

Fair comment. I'm not trying to build expectation up about the forthcoming season, just acknowledging that it's been a very good close season for us. Particularly when compared to the disasters of recent years...I feel SOD has moved quickly and addressed the areas of big concern very efficiently and hopefully adequately.

Agreed. Of course we're not really sure what to expect from the likes of Wynter and Williams but it's refreshing to see the club addressing problem areas in the squad so early in the summer. Not signing journeymen for a change is nice too. I think that not quite knowing what to expect adds to the excitement a bit, as well as the fact that both players were offered new contracts at premier league clubs. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but it can only be a good indication.

Agreed. Of course we're not really sure what to expect from the likes of Wynter and Williams but it's refreshing to see the club addressing problem areas in the squad so early in the summer. Not signing journeymen for a change is nice too. I think that not quite knowing what to expect adds to the excitement a bit, as well as the fact that both players were offered new contracts at premier league clubs. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but it can only be a good indication.

its also good to see the new policy of signing young hungry pro's finally starting to happen, we may finally start making profits on players again, when was the last time we did that Cotts?

Fair comment. I'm not trying to build expectation up about the forthcoming season, just acknowledging that it's been a very good close season for us. Particularly when compared to the disasters of recent years...I feel SOD has moved quickly and addressed the areas of big concern very efficiently and hopefully adequately.

Yes. So far it seems like someone has thought carefully about which areas need addressing and which signings are most appropriate to address those areas, then quietly gone about the business of making the signings.

It just might be that we have to wait a season or two for them to have their full impact.

Yes. So far it seems like someone has thought carefully about which areas need addressing and which signings are most appropriate to address those areas, then quietly gone about the business of making the signings.

It just might be that we have to wait a season or two for them to have their full impact.

still think we won't be in the promotion picture but midtable although I'm starting to become more optimistic for the future,

Archived