IGNORED

One Big Massive Huge Sigh Of Relief And The Season Hasn't Even Begun Yet.

Eagle Eyed

Not one ball kicked on the football pitch, we've got rid of Andy Sugdon (oh wait, I mean Foster) to Rangers for a fee of a friendly which we can hopefully all enjoy.

We've signed youth in Jordan Wynter and Derrick Williams who've both rejected clubs known to bring through youth to join us. A dominant CB in Aden Flint who's recently come from a play-off battle and finally a brilliant keeper (for this level anyway) in Fielding.

Our academy is now up there to challenge the big boys in the Championship at least and we've got a manager who's making them play FOOTBALL in training!

We've got talents like Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Wes Burns and possibly Ajala that can break through to the first team this season.

Sure, Stead left and some of our young youngsters have been knicked but it's to be expected.

We've also got some good friendlies! Rangers, Reading at home and FGR and Ashton and Blackwell away.

It's a bright few months ahead and if they pan out correctly a bright season ahead.

Optimism!

If you've not renewed yet, think about it. Money is tough but there's nothing like seeing City in on a Saturday afternoon and it seems we'll have a few of them this season.

Well done on the signings SOD, well done on the academy club!

Coyr!

Pinch me i must be dreaming.......a totally new defence except cunningham, who was Mc clueless's one good signing.

if we aren't conceding then we can get a result every game, last year we conceded two each game on average.

just some pace on the wings to get the crosses in and a midfielder who can beat his man before playing the striker in

oh and strikers who can stay fit.........

It looks good on paper but I'm not going to be optimistic until I've seen them play a few games, we've been optimistic pre-season before and been disappointed, eg last season, the season Tinnion was manager when we signed Michael Bridges and Marcus Stewart, and the Coppell fiasco - let's wait and see.

It looks good on paper but I'm not going to be optimistic until I've seen them play a few games, we've been optimistic pre-season before and been disappointed, eg last season, the season Tinnion was manager when we signed Michael Bridges and Marcus Stewart, and the Coppell fiasco - let's wait and see.

Looking at the management structure and young(ish) players we are bringing in/through there is more reason than not to think that the club are destined for better things. Do the right things at the right times often enough and you will be successful. We've started on that road.

I'm not expecting miracles overnight rather steady progress (after a settling in period), a winning mentality, and an enthusiasm for the game from all parts of the club. And that includes you.

This ^^^^^^^^^ cautious optimism maybe, but we always seem to be hopefull pre-season, probably best not to build ourselves up too much yet and just wait and see.

A top 6 place is our goal but that will be the same for the rest of the teams in our league.

A difficult August will test us from the start.

I'm pleased we've sorted the defence out (including getting a holding midfielder-who we've missed last season after cisse left - he was a beast when we stayed up).

However, I think we had the least number of shots on goal in the champ last year, and with a relativity decent and varied selection of strikers.

Unless we get some players in that can create chances we'll miss out on the play offs. Clean sheets are a great base, but to go back up we'll need ammunition for the forwards.

Guess we spent out budget on flint, so unless we shift bodies we'll only get frees in...

I'm feeling good about our summer activity so far, though optimistic might be a bridge too far.

The management have just focused on bringing in options in the positions we need them most straight out the gate, unlike previous season where we seemed keen on bringing in signing in areas already plump with players, and players with no prospect of us shifting either.

SO'D and Burt do also have a slight advantage over previous management teams, in that by getting relegated they'll be able to exercise a ruthlessness unavailable to others managers before them, along with the appeal of us being a slightly bigger fish in a slightly smaller pond. Flint, Williams and Fielding have all stated the intention and desire of the club to bounce back up was appealing, and though this might add pressure it is also helpful when looking to bring in more competitive and hungry players, young and older.

I'm going to temper my enthusiasm until after the transfer window is open a short while, only because our attacking options are thin and vulnerable to Championship vultures weakening them even further, if we are not careful. Out forward line is only 4 deep and thought I think both Burns and Taylor are likely to stay, but Baldock and Davies could attract higher-level suitors. It would be folly to let both go without at least one notable replacement, as we are going to need one proven goalscorer at least if we hope to look for promotion. And outside of Adomah, who I think we all presume might leave, we've very limited options on the wings, and though I'm more than game to give youth a bigger role this season, we will need some proven quality to realistically challenge for top half.

If we can either retain and add one or two players to Adomah, Davies and Baldock, or get rid but replace them with those proven and capable of making an immediate impact at this level, then I'll start getting excited, but until then I'm 'just' happy that we've started right (though being 'just' happy is a massive improvement on the last three summers).

Personally, I hope we keep all three, contact length/potential missed 'cashing in' be damned, as that trio alone will be a handful for most defences at this level. I also wonder if SO'D's strengthening of the back line so quickly and effectively might go a long way to showing these players that there is a good chance at a decent season ahead, and that they might stick around to see what we can do.

Archived