IGNORED

You Know That Ernie Logo

cider head

Hull KR I thinl, not even good rugby. A word should be had

True, i'm just passing this on so those of the powers that be can have a word as I don't know if permission has been given as i'm not told anything much of late or seem to be getting anything right in some eyes, but there it is being used by another group of the egg shaped variety.

You wouldn't be able to protect an image like that.

...maybe you'd be right in the world where copyright doesn't exist...........................

You automatically own the copyright of a creative work as soon as you create it. (You will obviously run into difficulty if you have derived your work from a pre-existing copyrighted image.)

See here http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-ownership/c-creator.htm.

You do however need to actively protect your copyright. So a cease and desist letter would be in order. Your problems might be (a) proving ownership of the original piece (but the internet probably helps here), (b) knowing who to serve the notice on. I am sure they can be surmounted. You may even wish to liciense the image.

None of this needs to cost very much. At the very least write to hkr and advise them that as copyright owner you expressly forbid them to display the image on their premises, and you will considre taking action against them if they do.

So Mickey Mouse isn't copy written!

Yes Mickey Mouse is copyright protected. It's a brand that is protected in law.

A drawing by a fan who has plastered all over Bristol and online is not the same. You give up any rights to your original drawing.

...maybe you'd be right in the world where copyright doesn't exist...........................

You automatically own the copyright of a creative work as soon as you create it. (You will obviously run into difficulty if you have derived your work from a pre-existing copyrighted image.)

See here http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-ownership/c-creator.htm.

You do however need to actively protect your copyright. So a cease and desist letter would be in order. Your problems might be (a) proving ownership of the original piece (but the internet probably helps here), (b) knowing who to serve the notice on. I am sure they can be surmounted. You may even wish to liciense the image.

None of this needs to cost very much. At the very least write to hkr and advise them that as copyright owner you expressly forbid them to display the image on their premises, and you will considre taking action against them if they do.

I expect the maximum the original artist can expect is a thanks for drawing it. I have a friend who took a photo and posted it on an online photo site, Microsoft use the picture in one of their operating systems. There is no comeback, it was out in the open and no copyright attached to it. As far as they were concerned it's free to use.

EDIT: Forgot to add though, I do agree it is a blatant rip off.

I expect the maximum the original artist can expect is a thanks for drawing it. I have a friend who took a photo and posted it on an online photo site, Microsoft use the picture in one of their operating systems. There is no comeback, it was out in the open and no copyright attached to it. As far as they were concerned it's free to use.

EDIT: Forgot to add though, I do agree it is a blatant rip off.

Take a look at the link i provided - this is not the case generally.

Re online photo sharing - your friend probably run foul of the the terms and conditions. For example the following extract was taken today from a popular image hosting site:

"....With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant <SITE NAME> a non-exclusive, royalty- free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content."

Always worth checking out T/C's and paying for a decent host if your images are important.

PS I expect the social networking sites like Acebook own you lock stock and barrell....

Archived