IGNORED

Getting The Pride Back.

Roadrunner

Just been listening to my audio tape of the Freight Rover final Saturday 24th May 1986, at the old Wembley, City v Bolton Wanderers.Also on the tape the pre match, after match, and victory bus ride through Bristol. What got me was the emotion, pride, and love of the club. The fans, players and directors had for the club. Men like David Moyes, then ex Celtic, Terry Cooper ex Leeds and England, Glyn Riley and many more. I was there with my son and Southampton supporter, My nephew and brother in law both Rovers fans. But we all got involved on the day.

As a long time City supporter we have't had many days in the past few years when you wanted to shout from the roof tops. I AM A BRISTOL CITY SUPPORTER. I just hope next season we can all have many days when SOD and his team give us back some pride.

Yes I remember it so well! 82 was etched on our memories! Riley Cooper Pritchard were great on the day and we were good value for our win!

Today not so much, many City fans have marched on in the last 31 years and we no longer have that backs against the wall spirit!

We are now building our own again ala Harry Dolman and Alan Dicks, so maybe we can recapture some of that spirit, character and will to win

The problem is that the Bolton game was only 4 years after nearly going out of existence - we now have a whole generation, maybe 2, who have not known that feeling of desperation followed by the euphoria of winning our first major (ish) trophy, myself included (didn't go to my first game until the season after). Hopefully this season can be the start of it again.

The problem is that the Bolton game was only 4 years after nearly going out of existence - we now have a whole generation, maybe 2, who have not known that feeling of desperation followed by the euphoria of winning our first major (ish) trophy, myself included (didn't go to my first game until the season after). Hopefully this season can be the start of it again.

I tend to agree we've a lot of fans who only remember back 10 years or so, generally we've been ok in that time either at the top end of div 1 or in the championship. While I'm only slightly too young to remember the freight rover trophy finals, I remember how bad we were under Osman, Pulis setting our club back 5 years with his expensive oap flops and Lumsden having all his best players sold from under him.

Momentum is so important in sport.If we can get the basics right ,and the signs are promising ,we could be on the verge of something big :blush2:.I feel the board and Steve Lansdown are making bold and necessary decisions for the future and if we all stick together the ride will be lots of fun.Nothing like the last few seasons of struggle and turgid footy

i am always optimistic,despite decades of following City.

As a group of fans, we are 100% better when we are the underdog.

When we play the likes of Wolves and Sheffield Utd next season we will all be up for it, it's the games against the likes of Shrewsbury and Crawley where we aren't.

As others have said, the early 80's was a terrible but in some ways a great time to be a City fan.

We expected to lose every game ( and did mostly!!) but we still got behind the team and there was a great feeling of togetherness on the terraces.

Archived