IGNORED

6750 - Not Bad At All

glynriley

bradley stoke is a town which is predominantly 'rovers fans' however, when i went to school about 4 of them had season tickets compared to around 15-20 with city season tickets. A lot would claim to have been 'fans' but none would ever go and watch them. I remember getting a lot of stick for that 6-0 home loss against the taffs, from people who haven't even been to a football match? I think it sums up their invisible support

Same thing in Yate/Chipping Sodbury, loads of so called gasheads but out of the dozens i've met only 4-5 have ever had a season ticket or go often enough to themselves fans. I would say in the older generation 35+ there is probably more gas than city but more city than gas in the under 30's, but all are outnumbered by the premiership armchair supporters Man u, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal out number City and rovers combined i would say. For some odd reason there are a lot of Newcastle 'fans' here.

I hope to be getting my season ticket end of July all depends on finances me and the wife living on just my wage at the moment due to her being off work. Have persuaded a lifelong Man u supporter to join me in getting a season ticket too, the conversion has begun :yes:

I think if you asked the average football fan in Bristol what areas historically were City/Rovers areas, Kingswood would probably be at the top of the Rovers list, certainly in the last 40 years.

I agree that during our heyday in the mid to late 70's, more city would have raised there heads but since then, Kingswood has always been seen as an area with a large rovers support. Its where they base their supporters shop, just down from the "Essex", a rovers stronghold (although I appreciate nowadays its a bit more mixed)

The Flowerpot, Chase, Swamp were/are rovers and as a city fan you would have to be carefull going in other pubs in the area other than the likes of the Shant, Cobbler etc that were city pubs

Are there any left still open?!

I think they located the shop here to try to grow their fan base in a neutral area, or even create one. It really was falling apart for them when they moved to Bath. I agree a lot of people, if asked, say it's Rovers territory but I've never seen the evidence to back it up.

Even the road I live in now, there's approximately 25 houses, 7 City households (4 go to watch them), 3 Rovers households (0 go to watch them).

Funnily enough the landlord of the Essex was on that school photo I mentioned earlier and he'd always serve me a drink, not sure what he'd put in it though!

been in plenty of rovers pubs waring a city shirt not had my head kicked in,

all you get is a bit of stick and a your brave,

But then your responce doesn't suprise me for the so called family club (even though they have never won that award which we have 5 years in a row)

bradley stoke is a town which is predominantly 'rovers fans' however, when i went to school about 4 of them had season tickets compared to around 15-20 with city season tickets. A lot would claim to have been 'fans' but none would ever go and watch them. I remember getting a lot of stick for that 6-0 home loss against the taffs, from people who haven't even been to a football match? I think it sums up their invisible support

Bradley stoke definitely not predominantly gas, loads of city up there and surrounding areas, when city played Cardiff on telly a few years pack one of the local pubs was rammed with city.

How many season tickets did we sell last time in league 1? I dont think we sold more than 6k until we got promotion.

We're a slightly bigger club now than we were back then IMO, we should hit the 10,000 mark now in all honesty, and i think we will which would be fantastic and surely one of the best figures in the league?

We're a slightly bigger club now than we were back then IMO, we should hit the 10,000 mark now in all honesty, and i think we will which would be fantastic and surely one of the best figures in the league?

10k would be unbelievable but can't see it myself. Think we will sell around 9k based on what we have sold so far.

Probably be the 4th highest in Div 3 after Wolves, Bradford and Sheff United...

I think if you asked the average football fan in Bristol what areas historically were City/Rovers areas, Kingswood would probably be at the top of the Rovers list, certainly in the last 40 years.

I agree that during our heyday in the mid to late 70's, more city would have raised there heads but since then, Kingswood has always been seen as an area with a large rovers support. Its where they base their supporters shop, just down from the "Essex", a rovers stronghold (although I appreciate nowadays its a bit more mixed)

The Flowerpot, Chase, Swamp were/are rovers and as a city fan you would have to be carefull going in other pubs in the area other than the likes of the Shant, Cobbler etc that were city pubs

Was in Swamp when we were at wembley against Blackpool. Me, my mum, her partner at the time and my brother were the only one who were quite when windass scored. But then again I saw the cup game vs Middlesbrough in there and there were just as many supporting city as against them, from what I remember most there just wanted a Bristol team to do well

Archived