IGNORED

Joe Royle

westred1

Don't think it's been posted before but he wanted the City job I guess when Coppell took over?

From FourFourTwo magazine:

Q: How come you're not managing these days? You're younger than Roy Hodgson and Harry Redknapp?

A: I've tried! I've tried with Wolves, Blackburn, Bristol City and Sunderland in the last few years and didn't even get an interview, so I think the message is loud and clear. I went back to Oldham for nine games, but it was only ever going to be a tidying-up job to see them through the season. Bristol City have sacked two since I applied, and Wolves have been relegated again.

Thoughts? I wasn't born when Royle was a player at the club but he didn't do a bad job with Oldham, Everton or Man City as a manager. Perhaps his style is too dated for the modern game.

There are plenty of managers older than Joe who are still managing and pretty successful too so its not his age, at all.

The reason is he has been out of the game what is perceived to be too long. What he needs to do is to get a job, any job and anywhere, and get some success and then he is back on the radar for a good English job.

There are plenty of managers older than Joe who are still managing and pretty successful too so its not his age, at all.

The reason is he has been out of the game what is perceived to be too long. What he needs to do is to get a job, any job and anywhere, and get some success and then he is back on the radar for a good English job.

Try telling that to Brian Little whose last club was Gainsborough Trinity in 2011 where he got sacked!!!!

Always thought its funny how some managers just fall out of favour. Mickey Adams, John Gregory & David O'leary were all big names 10 years ago now they've disappeared. I wonder if in 10 years we'll be talking about where Lambert, Pardew and Rodgers are

It's a shame a lot of these older heads, who no doubt have a lot still to give the game, cannot get any employment.

If the 'Director of Football' system was as prevalent here as abroad I'm sure the majority would be comfortably employed in non-manager roles that would be more suited to their current abilities.

However, while you could say that is unlucky, some are also paying the price for failing to try and advance the British game beyond what is was when they were managers. Their own short sightedness back in previous decades could be said to be haunting them now.

Archived