IGNORED

I'm Fed Up To The Back Teeth

Fed up now to the back teeth of modern football and how it is dominated in this country by money and greed.

There was once a time when a clubs largest income was its gate receipts. The masses would pour in on a saturday afternoon at 3pm to watch their local side battle it out against another. But such days are gone. The Premier League has meant that gate receipts are 3rd or 4th biggest income for some clubs. With TV money, Sponsorship and prize money contributing more. Football is targeting the arm chair fan more and more, and with the availability of big games on TV, most young people wouldn't know who SO'D or John Ward are.

The money that these big clubs have is forcing smaller clubs to spend beyond theirs means. We are a prime example, and with any other owner than SL, we would probably be in administration and in L2 or fighting to stay in L1. But others are not so lucky. Coventry are forced to play at Sixfields despite the Rioch offering them to play there for Free. Portsmouth have gone from FA cup winners and European football to L2 in a few seasons. Cardiff city, despite my dislike of the club have been stripped of their identity and history because it would suit the Malaysian arm chair fan.

When I talk about football to my friends, it is normally about the Prem title race as they dont know the first thing about City, they don't care. Football needs to change. Too many clubs going into administration, fans are being overcharged, not by the clubs fault, but to exist in this footballing world, prices have to be that high. When will it be our turn again? When will '82 happen again? No club is immune from the disease that is modern football, unless for are MU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man C etc, you have no chance anymore.

This disease incorporates blood thirsty agents, owners who don't care and too much of a focus on the present, without long term plans. Well enough is enough. What are we going to do? The FL needs reforming...it needs 4 tiers with 24 sides in each tier, like before. Clubs should be fan owned. Financial rules should be hugely strict, forcing clubs to take relegation in order to correct their finances. Clubs should own their own grounds to stop whats happening with Coventry. Fans should be the forefront of everything. All domestic games should be 3pm on a Saturday, or 7:45 on a tuesday. The FA cup should be the last game of the season (after the CL) and no one is bigger than any club.

Unfortunately the FA, the FL, and the PL will never agree. Those in charge are too busy lining their own pockets, doing **** all to further football. But clubs can vote, our clubs can change it all. If all fans of all clubs pulled together to say no to modern football and armchairs, and yes to shivering on a tuesday night watching L1 football in January.

Had to get that off my chest after getting wound up over the last few hours. Work again

Agree with the diagnosis but not the prescription. I honestly can't see it changing for the better any time soon.

We live in a society which puts money first, second and last, and football is part of that society :(

Cant argue with much of that?!

I'm probably half your age at a guess (judging by your memories of how football used to be) but can still understand the frustrations you have!

I hate talking to mates about football, especially this summer, armchair Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs fans trying to take the piss that City have been relegated. I do have to laugh when they talk about maybe watching ONE game this season and making a real day of it. I cant imagine having that feeling that going to watch the team you "support" feeling like a really big day out like some sort of cup final for one meaningless pre-season friendly. Then they complain the reason they dont watch their team more is because of how much it costs! Try watching your local team (£50 saved on travel). These armchair fans dont realise THEY are half the reason ticket prices are so high!

Fed up now to the back teeth of modern football and how it is dominated in this country by money and greed.

There was once a time when a clubs largest income was its gate receipts. The masses would pour in on a saturday afternoon at 3pm to watch their local side battle it out against another. But such days are gone. The Premier League has meant that gate receipts are 3rd or 4th biggest income for some clubs. With TV money, Sponsorship and prize money contributing more. Football is targeting the arm chair fan more and more, and with the availability of big games on TV, most young people wouldn't know who SO'D or John Ward are.

The money that these big clubs have is forcing smaller clubs to spend beyond theirs means. We are a prime example, and with any other owner than SL, we would probably be in administration and in L2 or fighting to stay in L1. But others are not so lucky. Coventry are forced to play at Sixfields despite the Rioch offering them to play there for Free. Portsmouth have gone from FA cup winners and European football to L2 in a few seasons. Cardiff city, despite my dislike of the club have been stripped of their identity and history because it would suit the Malaysian arm chair fan.

When I talk about football to my friends, it is normally about the Prem title race as they dont know the first thing about City, they don't care. Football needs to change. Too many clubs going into administration, fans are being overcharged, not by the clubs fault, but to exist in this footballing world, prices have to be that high. When will it be our turn again? When will '82 happen again? No club is immune from the disease that is modern football, unless for are MU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man C etc, you have no chance anymore.

This disease incorporates blood thirsty agents, owners who don't care and too much of a focus on the present, without long term plans. Well enough is enough. What are we going to do? The FL needs reforming...it needs 4 tiers with 24 sides in each tier, like before. Clubs should be fan owned. Financial rules should be hugely strict, forcing clubs to take relegation in order to correct their finances. Clubs should own their own grounds to stop whats happening with Coventry. Fans should be the forefront of everything. All domestic games should be 3pm on a Saturday, or 7:45 on a tuesday. The FA cup should be the last game of the season (after the CL) and no one is bigger than any club.

Unfortunately the FA, the FL, and the PL will never agree. Those in charge are too busy lining their own pockets, doing **** all to further football. But clubs can vote, our clubs can change it all. If all fans of all clubs pulled together to say no to modern football and armchairs, and yes to shivering on a tuesday night watching L1 football in January.

Had to get that off my chest after getting wound up over the last few hours. Work again

Amen brother .

Wow! Good rant. I agree with as lot of it, though I wasn't around in '82

I'm probably half your age at a guess (judging by your memories of how football used to be) but can still understand the frustrations you have!

I hate talking to mates about football, especially this summer, armchair Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs fans trying to take the piss that City have been relegated. I do have to laugh when they talk about maybe watching ONE game this season and making a real day of it. I cant imagine having that feeling that going to watch the team you "support" feeling like a really big day out like some sort of cup final for one meaningless pre-season friendly. Then they complain the reason they dont watch their team more is because of how much it costs! Try watching your local team (£50 saved on travel). These armchair fans dont realise THEY are half the reason ticket prices are so high!

yeah, I have the same problem, they just don't get it!

Totally agree.i am 47 now and even though I still follow the mighty reds and always will, my love for the game died along time ago.i go now more out of habit and because my young son likes to go.i think when you get older and you take on things like a mortgage and other bills you relise football is mugging u off.but hey I was young once and followed city home and away, and good days they were too.

I wasn'

Wow! Good rant. I agree with as lot of it, though I wasn't around in '82

yeah, I have the same problem, they just don't get it!

I'm not that old, I wasn't about in '82. I just remember as a young kid when I first went to watch city and I fell in love. I never had to deal with the problems like ticket prices (my old mans problem), a load of empty seats I hardly noticed, I never knew about players wages etc. As far as I was concerned I was from BS3, so therefore I support City, and everyone else in Brizzle was Red or Blue. I never knew of football before to PL, but I know that the standard may not have been too high, but fans were put first (give or take).

"Clubs should be fan owned."

How could this be implemented in to Bristol City?

Bristol City is fan owned.

It's just one fan that owns it though!

Totally agree.i am 47 now and even though I still follow the mighty reds and always will, my love for the game died along time ago.i go now more out of habit and because my young son likes to go.i think when you get older and you take on things like a mortgage and other bills you relise football is mugging u off.but hey I was young once and followed city home and away, and good days they were too.

Feel a bit the same Mike and I'm a bit older than you.

What I have found is that the older I get, and the more the game has changed, the more disillusioned I have become with it in general.

However, as I have got older, the more going to see the reds keeps in the forefront of my memory what it felt like supporting the club back in the late 60's and early '70's and going to games. The excitement and anticipation before a game and the highs and lows during games are still there, as are the long suffering City fans moaning about just about everything to do with the club!

As long as you don't think too much about the cars in the player's car parks, their wage packets and, for the last few seasons, how little most of them do to justify the money we pay them, it is still BCFC and 11 red shirts out on the pitch that keeps the good memories firmly in the minds eye.

"Clubs should be fan owned."

How could this be implemented in to Bristol City?

SL is worth huge £££, BCFC is worth just a fraction of his wealth. If we get AG/AV, and have a sound model in place for economic stability. Do you think SL may sell the club to the fans...I think he might. Though with other clubs like chelski I have no idea, without changing the league laws which no owner would agree to

Have to agree with most of that.

It does drive me mad now and there is so much wrong with the modern game. I'm 27 and feel as if though football is more like a business nowadays compared to what it was when I first started taking interested.

The CL doesn't help. Who would ever have thought finishing 4th in a domestic league would be considered a success. It's embarrassing really.

Things do need to change but I fear it's just a sign of the times now. It will only get worse. In theory football is killing itself.

People with several thousand posts on a modern football forum complain about modern football. Make ya mind up!

New technology, that partially has bred apathy amongst the football fan.

I remember the days of protests, pitch invasions and chanting in the car park at the directors/chairman etc, now we moan on a forum, the whole experience has been diluted, technology (sky) has brought greed and changed the direction football has taken.

Many more armchair fans than ever before, some "fans" have never seen "their" team kick a ball in the flesh but possibly more of their adopted team on TV in a season than some of us see our team in the flesh, crazy!

Am only 18 so don't now much of what it was like before, I follow arsenal as my family's roots are from there, but myself I was born in Bristol and support city first before anyone, dad has got me tickets to the emirates cup as a birthday present but that's only because I had already got a season ticket from someone else as a present

Have only been to arsenal once and have been to city 100+ times but haven't been able to afford it in recent seasons although I am aiming to get to every home game this season

The champions league really bothers me the fact you can finish fourth defeats the name of the competition "THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE". It should be the winners of each European league in a straight knock out competition anyone can be drawn against anyone none of this seeding sh*t. Teams are delighted when they finish fourth and then when it gets to dec/jan/feb time they moan they have to play so many games because their qualifying games start July/Aug. The only European spots should be awarded to 1st in the premiership/F.A. cup winners/League Cup. Winners of the league go into the champions league (champions cup) and the other two teams go into the Europa league (europa cup), both of which should be straight knock out over two legs.

There should be more games kicking off at 3pm on a saturday than any other time, not one at 12noon sat then about 3-4 at 3pm and another at 5:15 and then another another 4-5 games on a sunday. Manchester City seem always play on a sunday (probably a deal between the owners on the premiership/sky to show them abroad). Wage caps need to be put in place and limits on the amount of foreigners you can have in your SQUAD and in your match day team like a lot of European leagues do. I also think all the leagues should finish on the same day first or second saturday in may and the F.A. cup final the following saturday at 3pm!!!.

Teams relegated from the premiership should not get any financial support, why should teams make money out of being sh*t???????. It's their own fault for paying mediocre players fortunes to be rubbish over 38 games.

The England team also need to expand a bit more in friendlies not just so called glamour games against the same teams like Spain/Holland/Brazil/Sweden/France. I've given up watching England games unless it's a major tournament no excitement in the games any more.

May sound bad put i pray for the day a top 6 team goes bust, will be fully deserved!!!!

West Ham's spunking money at anyone who can kick a ball and Liverpools £35m purchase of Andy Carroll just about somes up British football

Nothing will change but we can all dream :grr:

Beautiful post from the op.

Any sport where Supporters are deemed less important than "Customers" who sit at home watching from ever widening armchairs will ultimately have a problem.

As a Rovers fan playing in a ramshackle hovel presently I'm immune from such issues at my Club, by that I mean who in their right mind would invest in us as we presently stand? So our ST and POTD money is the single biggest income which dicates the calibre of player we can attract. Or more likely cant attract.

However much I look forward to the Uwe Bristol Stadium, and watching Football in a stadium absent a tent. I do worry it could spell the end of the Club as it now stands. Now you may say that must be a good thing but those of us with understanding know we aren't of importance to investors. Just the adding corporate sponsors and adding sponsorship, those who have rallied around both clubs in their hours of need and remained loyal wont be any better thought of when the dreaded investor boots you out your seat to make way for yet more prawn sandwich eaters with more disposable income.

Regards Rich Utg

I don't really think of the top clubs as a representative of real football. I think of Man U/C, Arsenal and Chelsea as a separate league - the divide between them and the rest is too big and there is no comparison. BCFC is a real club and anyone can say what they like about them and laugh at me supporting them. There is not much point, I won't change and I'm not ashamed to be a Bristol City fan.

As much as I want us to get to the Premier league one day...I think I'll hate it too for all the reasons people have mentioned.

I have to agree. It's a fantasy land we all want to reach. What really drove me mad was the amount of people or friends that came up to me before the play off final and said something along the lines of....'if you get to the prem I will get a season ticket with you next season'

That drove me insane. Still makes me angry now! Bloody plastics!

Beautiful post from the op.

Any sport where Supporters are deemed less important than "Customers" who sit at home watching from ever widening armchairs will ultimately have a problem.

As a Rovers fan playing in a ramshackle hovel presently I'm immune from such issues at my Club, by that I mean who in their right mind would invest in us as we presently stand? So our ST and POTD money is the single biggest income which dicates the calibre of player we can attract. Or more likely cant attract.

However much I look forward to the Uwe Bristol Stadium, and watching Football in a stadium absent a tent. I do worry it could spell the end of the Club as it now stands. Now you may say that must be a good thing but those of us with understanding know we aren't of importance to investors. Just the adding corporate sponsors and adding sponsorship, those who have rallied around both clubs in their hours of need and remained loyal wont be any better thought of when the dreaded investor boots you out your seat to make way for yet more prawn sandwich eaters with more disposable income.

Regards Rich Utg

Cheers fella.

I dont know if its the same for you but I'd rather see people in the blue and white quarters walking round than some Prem/foreign shirt. Do you rather seeing a city shirt than the glory shirts.

2 years ago I saw a guy with a gas shirt on and congratulated him on wearing is local teams kit. We had a bit of banter and went off

One solution is for fans to vote with their feet and boycott games en masse. If a large percentage of fans drastically reduced the numbers of games they attended, I would hope that the message would filter up to the boardroom level that empty stadia is bad for business, negative for sponsors, and demoralising for players.

Even though it pained me at first to do something so drastic, I now only attend 3 or 4 home games a season as I feel that the tickets are far too expensive for something which is only an hour and a half of my time. N.B this is not just a critique of the price of BCFC tickets, but a reflection upon the pricing structure of most clubs in the English leagues, as a large percentage of clubs feel they have to charge top prices in order to compete and challenge for promotion from their respective leagues.

But why? It's all a folly, no club will ever be able to compete financially with the foreign money men coming in an investing heavily, so my message would be: don't try to, just wait for the foreign investors to withdraw their support and then fight to overtake that team when their golden moment crumbles.

Personally, I'd love to see a price cap of £15 or £20 per adult ticket and then have the satisfaction of watching a team assembled for a fraction of the price still attempt to compete with the other wealthier clubs using nothing other than determination, aggression, and commitment to the game - coupled with quality coaching and scouting networks, allowing the club to find skilful bargains and then sell at a higher net profit.

One day, God knows when, the current footballing world of greed, arrogance, ignorance of true fans, will collapse and burn itself out, and hopefully the game will revert to what we all used to know and cherish.

i have been saying for the last 15 years or more that football will implode,(yeah i'm doubting it now!)

had a mate in devon,lifelong spurs fan season ticket holder for many years, didn't drive so went up on the train,untill nearly every bleedin home game was on a sunday!

knocked it in the head then,as f...ed his all weekend up,and work on the monday.

we know the big boys don't give a shit as they always fill their grounds.

what with them being able to take any of the brightest kids from anyone they want, and most ending up on the scrapheap,well it just gets worse.

anyway i'm glad that citys my club,and have respect for anyone who supports rochdale,grimbsy,torquay,etc,etc.

Some fantastic, heart felt posts above, sadly fellas, they got us by the balls, or should i say murdock, our money is not the issue these days in the top leauges, it's all about income across the world from blue chip companys that will pay massive, crowds sadly are just wallpaper

I agree with the original post almost entirely. Most of us 30 plus yearn for a bygone era (I'm 42) but lets face facts it will never return. But lets all not forget that you can still get an amazing rush when the team is going for promotion or newly promoted to the championship and playing well even in the modern era. Those are the (brief) moments we long for and dream about. But how it used to be, that's never gunna happen again whether we all like it or not sadly.

Archived