IGNORED

New On The Exiled Robin - Who Is Jet? An Ipswich Fan's View

The Exiled Robin

The signing of Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is almost certainly City's biggest of the close season to date, but what can we expect from the new man?

I've asked Ipswich supporter Gavin Barber back to The Exiled Robin to give us some insight on this colourful character

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/can-jet-help-bristol-city-soar-to.html

Comments/shares/RTs etc all very welcome as ever

Reading that, he seems he suffered a bit just because he was a flair player in a struggling team. All to easy to look like your not digging in and doing your bit when its backs to the walls in a relegation scrap.

I hope he gets more than the 60 mins he got at Ipswich before the moaners start having a pop. The guy is a talent, not fully finished, but likely to be the only one of that type we will have in the squad next season.

Top, top stuff, and please say thank to the Ipswich fan for his comments.

The SO'D connection must play a part, as both player and coach have commented on their previous link up.

Must also be just as exciting for SO'D as for JET, as players of his pedigree are few and far between in the 3rd tier; he's already hinted at the latitude he will be willing to give the lad to show what he can do, which much be music to JET's ears after a lean couple of seasons.

As for us fans; patience will be the key virtue. Talented supporting strikers are rare and often unappreciated in the British game, but everything said about JET suggests he fits that bill, so if we want to see his talent shine we'll need to accept he's not going to be clearing shots off our own goal line.

I'd have been happy signing him in the Championship, let alone League One; think he'll be a real asset.

Reading that, he seems he suffered a bit just because he was a flair player in a struggling team. All to easy to look like your not digging in and doing your bit when its backs to the walls in a relegation scrap.

I hope he gets more than the 60 mins he got at Ipswich before the moaners start having a pop. The guy is a talent, not fully finished, but likely to be the only one of that type we will have in the squad next season.

We appear to have made some great signings this close season, but I think JET is a real statement of intent by SO'D. When you have a team who play the possession game, it can be very easy to get bogged down and passing the ball about for ever more with no end result. JET sounds like the player we need to do the unexpected and unlock a defence and we know from the Donny game that he can be devastating when on song. SO'D clearly sees this flair as important to the success of his system and will give us a great boost in terms of creativity, compared to what we've had previously.

This guy has the potential to drag us out of the sterile mediocrity we've had to suffer over the last couple of years and could become a cult figure at the Gate. Maybe he just needs the drop to league 1 and under a manager who knows how to use his talents in the right way to help realise that potential on a more regular basis.

I'm really excited by this move, as JET must surely be taking a big drop in wage to come to us, which suggests to me he sees football as being more than just money, so all credit to him for that. Let's all hope this move is successful for both us and JET and if it is, we'll have a hell of a player on our hands.

Said it another

Yet for uncle Albert he had to "find where he can fit in as a team player" .......

But that was in the CCC tbf

Said it in another thread but think this was more down to where Albert plays on the pitch compared to where it's being suggested JET will. Albert as an out-and-out winger has more defensive responsibilities he needs to think about for the team than JET will if he's given a free role to create behind a main striker with four midfielders supporting behind him. If JET was going to be used as a winger don't think SOD would cut him the same slack he's suggesting he will do now.

Any further thoughts on JET from anyone who has been to a couple of friendlies?

I've yet to see him play but talking to a Cardiff fan recently I asked how he got on during his spell there, all be it in the Championship and not in League 1. He played out wide for the most part where he was very unaffecive and struggled as apparently he has very little pace and acceleration. Fortunately though, Sod knows the player farely well so surely he knows playing him in wider positions is a waste of time and can hopefully get the best out of him in a more central role.

Archived