IGNORED

How Does It Feel For You?

Son of Fred

It feels very much like a period of transition.All the pieces have been thrown up in the air and we will have to see how they land.Exciting and scary at the same time as I feel the start of the season could go either way.I do feel really quite upbeat though.

We won't have any real idea until at least 10 games into the season.

As SOD is trying to change the whole mentality within the club, that will take time, and it's a fine balancing act between trying to implement the changes too quickly with confusion the result, or letting things drag when they're clearly not working.

I think if we're in the mix around Christmas we can consider it to be a reasonably successful season.

A journey into the unknown... been good to see a lot of the dead wood moved on (shame Carey didn't go to) and the signings seem all good ones. My worry is where are the goals going to come from? 3 pre-season friendlies, 2 against non-league oppostion and only 2 goals scored, don't remember a worthwhile strike on goal from yesterday in 90 mins.

A lot might hang on if we can bring in a creative replacement for Albert who surely will be sold this coming week.

If yesterday was anything to go by then i feel worried...

I dont recall one shot on the target and the other couple of chances we had were miles away

Fonts played his usual i think his first touch was a hoof up the pitch and when Kilkenny came on all we did was keeping giving him the ball for him to then pass back to the keeper or then decide he needed to hoof it forward to nobody. We sat too deep when Kilkenny came on , he needed to get more forward and James wilson and Bobby reid need to show a bit more confidence and push on this could be there defining season.

Usually we don't have any testing friendlies until mid August so it's nice the team actually got challenge early on.

You can't judge us on pre season when you consider a huge junk of the squad is brand new and young so some are here based on potential then say actual experience. Having said that first half was starting 11 and those that were there said we were solid so that is something to build from.

Whether we can start well this season will be interesting but even if we do start we it's a young squad so more chance of having lots of ups and down. I'm more then happy to be patient when we are building with actual potential then tried and tested players who are stupid wages that still don't perform.

A journey into the unknown... been good to see a lot of the dead wood moved on (shame Carey didn't go to) and the signings seem all good ones. My worry is where are the goals going to come from? 3 pre-season friendlies, 2 against non-league oppostion and only 2 goals scored, don't remember a worthwhile strike on goal from yesterday in 90 mins.

A lot might hang on if we can bring in a creative replacement for Albert who surely will be sold this coming week.

Sod doesn't like to play with wingers hence Alberts scarce amount of play once Sod took over, wagstaff is the RM midfielder . Then Jet taking on the creative part of the squad just behind the strikers.

Although Ajala(if good enough) may be on the bench this coming season to offer that winger option incase Sod wants to try something different?

I think we are a couple of years away from getting it right.SOD still has dross to clear out and players to bring in plus change the style of play and the mentality of the club. It is going to take a lot of time and we have to back him however bad it might seem sometimes.

Usually we don't have any testing friendlies until mid August so it's nice the team actually got challenge early on.

You can't judge us on pre season when you consider a huge junk of the squad is brand new and young so some are here based on potential then say actual experience. Having said that first half was starting 11 and those that were there said we were solid so that is something to build from.

Whether we can start well this season will be interesting but even if we do start we it's a young squad so more chance of having lots of ups and down. I'm more then happy to be patient when we are building with actual potential then tried and tested players who are stupid wages that still don't perform.

The season is underway by mid August!

The season is underway by mid August!

good point.... I blame this heat....

I had meant that usually is only the last two friendlies that are actual teams above us , usually we have a newly promoted prem team last game obviously droppping down a league Reading aren't a bad team to play to see how pre season has gone.

I understand that changes had to be made and that to a great extent this is still work in progress. The problem is that losing (or winning for that matter) gets to be a habit and one which has been all too prevalent in recent years. We haven't yet played anybody who is English League 1 standard and yet have still only won 1 match and that against a village team by a single goal. I fear we should have been further down the road by now

As most have touched on already, Lack of goals is concerning, yesterday we didnt create, Rangers dealt with us comfortably.

I think we will be a much better unit once all the constant chopping and changing stops and we get down to business.

But in answer to the OPs question, feel slightly nervous but with a degree of excitement, from what i have seen over 2 games we look stronger but with AA out of the squad lacking that creativity.

I'm a little bit worried. I fear we have a very tough start and might be struggling around the bottom of the table come the end of August, which will lead to discontent and with our backs against the wall. I believe in S'OD's long term vision for the club, but I am worried about when this will translate into results on the pitch. I think we are some way off being promotion contenders (which is ok with me, but will it lead to calls for the manager's head from some sections of the support?) and the mentality around the club is going to take a long time to sort out. We have a losing mentality and to be honest, it's translated to me as a supporter these past 3/4 seasons. I'm hoping a couple of the new recruits/youngsters can be immune to this culture and give us all something to believe in again. As a fan base, we desperately need some positives to get us believing in the club again, and although I'm prepared to be patient, a strong start would make such a difference to the dynamic of our season.

We had a strong start last season and what happened? We all got carried away and thought play-offs were there for the taking and the crash, when it came, felt even worse. Of course I definitely want us to win a few games early on but above all I want to see signs you can tell the team knows what it is trying to do and are giving us grounds for optimism.

The Board are the only ones who will decide if SOD's the man to keep taking us forward, not us. If there is criticism, but they believe in what he's doing, they will have to show some bollocks and ride out the storm. If they don't think he's doing what he was brought here to do then they will get rid of him.

Archived