IGNORED

Clarke Carlisle

westred1

Perhaps, this is the thing we don't know as it's all about the individual.

I see it as less pressure/stress and more time with his family.

Many players fail to deal with going from a footballing life and all that goes with it, like banter etc to going to a normal life. The buzz can't be replaced and that's why many turn to alcohol, drugs, gambling etc to try and get that fix.

Many players fail to deal with going from a footballing life and all that goes with it, like banter etc to going to a normal life. The buzz can't be replaced and that's why many turn to alcohol, drugs, gambling etc to try and get that fix.

. I think this can happen to many people in different walks of life, of work, when they retire.

Ask him if he's read the biography of John Atyeo " Hero next door" by Tom Hopgood (?) and another bloke.

Big John had the brains to see that football really was only a game, not a job for a grown man and prepared properly for the days when his playing days were over by training in another profession at the same time he was in football.

• SC&T Board Members

Having played during his career both for clubs that have been able to offer their fans a choice of seated or standing accommodation and for clubs that have been forced to deny their fans that choice through having all-seater stadia, did he feel that standing fans generated greater vocal support for the players on the pitch and does he believe that trials of safe standing at rail seats should now be allowed at selected all-seater grounds?

Does the PFA have a view on this and, if not, would he as chairman like to learn more about the proposals so that the association can form a view?

I don't really have a question, but you could go ask about some players who get issues with depression/ drinking.

With drinking maybe something about Gascoigne?

I think CC was one of those, certainly the booze.

Do the PFA or FA run any courses to prepare players for coping with retirement? No matter how much money you have, it must be very odd to have finished your career before you are 40.

Cant see the point. Dont know if your of working age or what you do if you are but weve all been on pointless courses and havent taken them seriously. Do you really think that millionaire footballers would attend ot take it seriously if they did?

Guys,

I have the fortunate opportunity of interviewing Clarke Carlisle in the next couple of weeks.

Are there any (serious) questions that any of you would like me to put forward to him?

Things along the lines of his doc "Football's Suicide Secret", his role at the PFA, his career, English football in general, FL 125th anniversary etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lewis

I'd like to know what he's gonna do next. The show on Football's Suicide Secret and his own experience of depression would make him an ideal person to address this within the PFA. Has he got any plans to do this?

I'd show him the thread on the programme on OTIB to let him know how the programme and those who contributed helped some of our own open up about their mental health issues. If the professional game as a whole did this then countless young men's lives could be saved in the wider community as well as helping players themselves.

Good luck with the interview.

Well done Lewis, and good luck with the interview.

I agree with R A F - I hope you'll show him the thread on here about his programme and the impact its had.

One thing that struck me in the programme was his comments about how much a player's confidence/self esteem can be affected by comments from fans, and by the outcomes of big games, poor seasons etc. The view that's seems quite widely held on here is that many players nowadays couldn't really give a toss, and have no real pride in either their performances or thier clubs. Is that fair - sometimes, always, or never?

And wish him all the best in his retirement and in what he does with himeself now.

Is there a system in place for young footballers to be educated to at least GCSE standard after they're taken on by a club? And what is the answer when young lads are picked up at 7 or 8 years of age, had their precocious talent coached out of them, then released by clubs at 15 or 16? There needs to be an educational program to at least prepare these kids for real life. The ethos of most football clubs currently is quantity over quality, and rather than developing players gradually they pull them in, chew them up, and spit them out. Look at the wonderkids we've had at City over the years! Not ONE has made any impact nationally, let alone internationally.

But, as long as football is viewed as a business rather than the working man's sport, it will continue. I would be interested to hear Clarke's views on youth development from the PFA point of view, and whether the PFA actually have any say on youth development.

If measures such as the football league salary cap aren't implemented into the Premier League where will it all end, as the game slowly eats itself financially.

How can football continue long term while it prices itself out of the average fan, slowly divorcing itself from reality? Surely eventually it will become too detached to actively support a Premier League club when it will only be the upper classes or very rich who can afford it, this is not a big enough market to support a sport with such a rich history surely?

Edit: And of course; should ketchup be kept in the cupboard or the fridge?

And, would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or a dozen duck-sized horses?

The questions people what answers to...

:)

Cant see the point. Dont know if your of working age or what you do if you are but weve all been on pointless courses and havent taken them seriously. Do you really think that millionaire footballers would attend ot take it seriously if they did?

I wasn't envisaging the type of course which is rolled out for the "ordinary" working man/woman! With the statistic of 3 out of 5 ex premiership footballers going bankrupt within 5 years of finishing playing, it sounds like they need some sort of eye opener from the likes of Lee Hendry, before it's too late and they's p*ssed it all against the wall. I would imagine that mental health issues are common for those who end up in that situation, so prevention would be better than cure.

If measures such as the football league salary cap aren't implemented into the Premier League where will it all end, as the game slowly eats itself financially.

How can football continue long term while it prices itself out of the average fan, slowly divorcing itself from reality? Surely eventually it will become too detached to actively support a Premier League club when it will only be the upper classes or very rich who can afford it, this is not a big enough market to support a sport with such a rich history surely?

Edit: And of course; should ketchup be kept in the cupboard or the fridge?

And, would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or a dozen duck-sized horses?

The questions people what answers to...

:)

I'd let the PL eat itself to be fair, sooner they all piss off to a European Super League the better

As for ketchup - cupboard, always the cupboard. My missus always puts it in the fridge. WTF is that all about?

And a dozen duck sized horses

On a more serious note, didn't see that someone had said about showing him the thread on the Suicides program, definitely show the bloke that. That show started a conversation on here that I hope has helped at least one, if not more, people on here to open up and get a few things off their chest

Also the homophobia question was a good one too. He must know, or know of, gay footballers. Maybe that will be his next program. It is 2013 after all,,,,,we're all pretty open minded now, surely? Haters gonna hate, but I'd like to think the majority wouldn't be bothered in the slightest. That's for another thread though

Archived