IGNORED

Jon Stead - A Review

The Exiled Robin

OK ok, don't go on about me 'not moving on'! I'm more than aware there are plenty more fish in the sea but I'm not just writing this due to pining....

When a Huddersfield fan asked me for my opinions on their new (re-)signing I was more than happy to help and this is what I wrote. I thought you might be interested in having a read...

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/jon-stead-farewell-to-adopted-hthead.html

I'm not part of the love fest for this bloke, thought he was decent for us but nothing more. I'll reserve heart warming stories for real City heroes such as Murray and Tinnion.

Hero is a funny word. Churchill was a hero because of 5 years effort. Those with the vc are heroes because of a moment.

For what its worth Tinnion is no hero to me.

Hero is a funny word. Churchill was a hero because of 5 years effort. Those with the vc are heroes because of a moment.

For what its worth Tinnion is no hero to me.

He did say Bristol city hero though. I don't think for one second he was likening them to soldiers who won a VC...

I'm not part of the love fest for this bloke, thought he was decent for us but nothing more. I'll reserve heart warming stories for real City heroes such as Murray and Tinnion.

Same as that, Stead was ok, but hardly brilliant for us. I've never really understood the love in, but it's a game of opinions I guess!

Same as that, Stead was ok, but hardly brilliant for us. I've never really understood the love in, but it's a game of opinions I guess!

I think it's all about the evident effort that he showed every time he pulled on a city shirt and his general affiliation with the club. You could see he had a genuine love for the club and was very disappointed when we lost and when we got relegated.

For that reason, I'm a huge fan of the man.

A 'City hero' i said. Completely different to a hero who is willing to die for his country or raise thousands for cancer, I realise that the latter are far more worthy of the general tag. Christ.

Completely misunderstood my post, but thats anonymous posting for you.

My point was that you can be a 'hero' for many different reasons and in reference to people like Carey, 'tinman' and Stead, you could play for 10 months or 10 years and still be a City hero.

Tinman isnt a city hero to me because I never understood what all tbe fuss was about, a bit like opinions of Stead. But thats okay.

Shall I end with an obligatory 'Christ'?

Loved Stead ever since he joined, always thought he looked a class player only lacking a few more goals to make him great.

His desire to play and effort on the pitch were excellent but during spells when on the bench he was a supporter not a moaner. Always backed the team on twitter and was always giving it everything when called upon.

A shining light in the last few seasons. Loves a pint of Cider too.

He was a good player for the club and at times put his teammates to shame with his effort. His injuries were increasingly becoming more regular and lengthy though and we may have wrung the last bit out of him in our bid to escape relegation, if he had stayed fit we possibly could have scraped the points. His off field personality shone through, mainly being a regular twitter user and his work in the community through the trust made him a favourite.

I'm glad he has gone home, back to his club. I know he had lots of offers from clubs last season, it was just the case of waiting for Huddersfield in the end it seemed. But be aware, he didn't just pluck our club out from the air, he has similar ties to Bristol and the West Country to Yorkshire. He played for us for his own personal reasons which is why he holds us so dear.

Completely misunderstood my post, but thats anonymous posting for you.

My point was that you can be a 'hero' for many different reasons and in reference to people like Carey, 'tinman' and Stead, you could play for 10 months or 10 years and still be a City hero.

Tinman isnt a city hero to me because I never understood what all tbe fuss was about, a bit like opinions of Stead. But thats okay.

Shall I end with an obligatory 'Christ'?

Or next time you can get things right, if you don't think it's possible to have 'sporting heroes' that's fine, but i disagree, if you truly think Stead, who originally rejected us because we refused to pay him 10k a week but finally caved in, then fine. He is still part of one of the most diabolical seasons i've ever seen us have.

Or next time you can get things right, if you don't think it's possible to have 'sporting heroes' that's fine, but i disagree, if you truly think Stead, who originally rejected us because we refused to pay him 10k a week but finally caved in, then fine. He is still part of one of the most diabolical seasons i've ever seen us have.

That's a bit harsh on Tinman, the 98-99 season was diabolical for many reasons, not just him.

I honestly think something is getting lost in translation somewhere. I've never said you can't have footballing heroes. I've said that you can be a footballing hero for different reasons to different people. A footballing hero could be part of the 10 most glorious years in your clubs history, or only play in it's worst.

As i say, something lost in translation somewhere.

That's a bit harsh on Tinman, the 98-99 season was diabolical for many reasons, not just him.

I honestly think something is getting lost in translation somewhere. I've never said you can't have footballing heroes. I've said that you can be a footballing hero for different reasons to different people. A footballing hero could be part of the 10 most glorious years in your clubs history, or only play in it's worst.

As i say, something lost in translation somewhere

Tinman played 483 times for this club, did his best (albeit failed) to be a success as a manager for us, and is now a coach for us. Quite how you hold Jon Stead in higher asteem because he ran around a bit and made a few funny twitter posts, is beyond me.

Tinman played 483 times for this club, did his best (albeit failed) to be a success as a manager for us, and is now a coach for us. Quite how you hold Jon Stead in higher asteem because he ran around a bit and made a few funny twitter posts, is beyond me.

Sorry but how you see Tinnion as a Bristol city hero is beyond me. I'm not saying stead is a hero but atleast he got behind the club when times were tough. If I'm right during Danny wilsons era with the club Brian tinnion done nothing but made wilsons life hell as manager. If that's your idea of a cityhero than our idea of 'heros' strongly differ.

That's fair enough.

Honestly, I'm not looking for a redeye styled debate, just saying that heroes are different to different people.

Not saying it is but wilsons job would of been a lot easier here if Tinnion didn't make it so hard for him. I always thought the players should be behind the manager

Aye, Wilsons job would have been a whole lot easier if Tinnion hadn't set up all those goals for Murray.... Good argument.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who forced Wilson out did this club a service. Not only the perennial bottler but also disgraced the club by showing no leadership whilst players played in our shirt still pissed from the night before (Christian Roberts autobiography for proof).

It took Tinnion then Johnson to meet out such a drinking culture that meant we consistently underachieved for years.

Have i missed something or is the "Tinnion ousted Wilson" nothing more than conjecture and rumour? I honestly can't remember seeing this anywhere but here, but then I also cannot remember seeing anyone say where exactly this has come from? Happy to be put straight on that though.

Archived