IGNORED

Expectations For The Season

Tom Fleuriot

What will be an acceptable season?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought that a little when writing it. I wasn't sure whether to allow multiple choices on (2) and (3), as certainly on (2) I would say there are at least three things I want SOD to focus on.

I chose it as it is because multiple choices allow people to say they want it all. I want people to think "if pushed, this is the number one need. If you have trouble with everything else, but get the league position right and this one thing in (2) and (3) right, then it's a good season from my perspective".

I also deliberately left some vague (eg "better quality football" may be more attacking, more passing, more composure), because I thought that can be an argument for another day...

But if there's anything that you think is seriously missing, please let me know and I can amend it.

I thought that a little when writing it. I wasn't sure whether to allow multiple choices on (2) and (3), as certainly on (2) I would say there are at least three things I want SOD to focus on.

I chose it as it is because multiple choices allow people to say they want it all. I want people to think "if pushed, this is the number one need. If you have trouble with everything else, but get the league position right and this one thing in (2) and (3) right, then it's a good season from my perspective".

I also deliberately left some vague (eg "better quality football" may be more attacking, more passing, more composure), because I thought that can be an argument for another day...

But if there's anything that you think is seriously missing, please let me know and I can amend it.

That's fair enough

I wanted top half/challenge for playoffs on 1

Better football/finish overhaul for 2

Pretty much all of them for 3

But I think it's a good poll overall

I went for a top half finish / overhaul of squad and then couldn't decide between stadium and work sod and Burt are going to do. As I feel these two are just are important.

I want us to go straight back up but part of me thinks the blooding youngsters and getting the footballing ethos right will take more then a season and if we went up we'd be tempted to buy more older players at the higher level with more experience which would make sense in some ways.

That's fair enough

I wanted top half/challenge for playoffs on 1

Better football/finish overhaul for 2

Pretty much all of them for 3

But I think it's a good poll overall

I was really torn on (2). My logic ran that O'Driscoll has started the overhaul and it will happen naturally, but I would expect him to improve the quality of football without needing to finish the overhaul. So if a straight fight between the two, I wouldn't be happy with overhaul but no significant improvement in quality. I would be happy with the squad being exactly as it is now, but better football.

Although in the end I went with blooding youngsters. I want to be supporting a team with as many Bristolians / west country boys as possible.

Obviously some difficult questions there in terms of their practicality but probably the most interesting poll I've ever sen on here in terms of depth and the number of answers available. Bare minimum for a successful season would be a top-half finish I'd say, preferably with us improving as the season goes on. It is important to continue the squad overhaul, carefully blood in the younger players and generally improve the overall standard of football. If we do those things correctly, then results on the pitch will follow.

By Christmas time most people will have formed an opinion on SOD and to be perfectly honest if we do well on the pitch JL will be "doing a good job" whilst if we're still shite he'll be "doing a bad job". A conclusion on the future of our stadium would also be most welcome, although in fairness it does not seem too far away now.

Obviously some difficult questions there in terms of their practicality but probably the most interesting poll I've ever sen on here in terms of depth and the number of answers available. Bare minimum for a successful season would be a top-half finish I'd say, preferably with us improving as the season goes on. It is important to continue the squad overhaul, carefully blood in the younger players and generally improve the overall standard of football. If we do those things correctly, then results on the pitch will follow.

By Christmas time most people will have formed an opinion on SOD and to be perfectly honest if we do well on the pitch JL will be "doing a good job" whilst if we're still shite he'll be "doing a bad job". A conclusion on the future of our stadium would also be most welcome, although in fairness it does not seem too far away now.

Pretty much what my thoughts were

Cheers for the compliment, and I think if enough fans vote it should give a decent picture of otib mood (if not fans' moods generally). I think there are a couple of tweaks I'd make now that I look at it, but as a few people have voted it wouldn't be fair to change. I'll leave the tweaks until either next season or O'Driscoll leaves...

difficult to frame the last question - but at least nice to see a realistic attitude re how we'll do.

This time next year I am hoping we are generally building on what we've got rather than say having to replace more recent signings...

Top half finish, improving the finances are the priotity for me,

We are a squad in transition and 6 signing isn't going to suddenly make us a fantastic squad they need time to gel and we will have to wait for a while before our aims of returning to the championship can be forfilled,

Good polls, didn't realise you could do more than 1!

Anyway, went for:

1. Anything league wise as long as good footie - this being contingent on nos 2-4
  2. Re-vamp the squad, which should include the kiddiwinks being given their chance
  3. Sort the whole stadium question out, one way or the other - it's been too much of a distraction for the senior management for too long
  4. It'll take until next season at least for all of the above to be wrapped up - probably later

But I remain positive, which - for me - is rare

Top half, possible playoff play and to finish above Swindon!

Didn't think of "finish above Swindon"? Should definitely have had that in the league position question. I should also have changed the "Don't care as long as there's more entertainment and we don't go down" to "Don't care as long as there's more entertainment and we're not scrapping against relegation in April"

If setting this up again, I think I'd also want to put a JL aim as "Getting more fans down to the Gate".

But never mind, eh. Think the results are really interesting so far. If we get over 150 votes I might do a bit of analysis and see if Exiled Robin will let me stick it on his blog.

Archived